Kinda Beginner Grow Setup

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Gopher Love, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Gopher Love

Gopher Love Under Construction

haha ok cool just wanted to make sure.. like I said i did it before and no problems at all.. i made other mistakes then.. Well I got 3 2 bulb 4' floros today and i'm buying one more and the bulbs like tomorrow or this weekend or something.. different stores and all, like I said, keeping it as fucking safe as I can.. i'de rather be crazy paranoid than stupid and get caught.

Ok so... Veg box setup first.

3' 6" X 5' X 4' 6" (WxLxH).

2' X 4' section devoted to mothers (2'x2' for each one.. sounds like a good space to me...). At first a 1' X 2' section devoted to clones and can upgrade to make it a 1' X 4' section for clones if needed.

For the mothers I will have a total of 4 4' two bulb 32 watt T8 floro strips (not sure on the total lumens but I read an average for t8 is 81 lumens per watt making the total of these lights 20,736 which is 2592 lumens per square foot) Then I will have my 4 little 26 W CFLs, two per plant, to light the inside leaves of the mothers. I dont want these mothers to grow like crazy just keep them good and strong (will probably do some sort of stress training to make the stems stronger) for the cloning.

For the clones at first I will have a 1 2' two bulb I think 55 W per bulb (says 110 watts). (http://htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=51907 thats the one...) It says 10,000 lumens so in that small space it will be putting 5000 lumens per square foot (double what the FAQ post says I should shoot for) Is having to much light bad for plants? In this case clones.. would it be bad for them? I figure it would be better to have more light for the little guys. Also, I would like some advice on how to actually setup the clone tray. I am planning on doing it in rockwool but can I just leave the rockwool in a plastic tray untill it kinda roots up and then transfer them into big pots?

For exhaust I will have a 6" inline duct fan (http://htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=46447) and send that through a scrubber if possible. I say if possible because I don't know if it would work... That fan should circulate the air in there a about 3 times per minute so it should work just fine. I will have a couple small fans for air circulation and stem strengthening. I think that's about the just of my veg cabinet... Mylar lined walls (all of them).. yea that's it.

I really am sorry I make such long posts but I really want to get this grow like.. top notch. I want EVERYTHING to be perfect, so i'll be asking alot of questions and reading through ALOT of material... So if you know something is posted somewhere and don't feel like explaining it yourself, please just send me where it is instead.. I want to be as little hassle as possible.

ResinRubber likes this.
  2. SMARMY

SMARMY Cuban Bee

thos inline fans don't have the pressure you are looking for ,not true cfm's. Get yourself a canfan. Bit more expensive but well worth it

3. Gopher Love

Ok then i'll use a 6" inline fan (HTG links dont work i guess... but it's the GrowBright brand "CAN" inline fan.. says 424 CFM) for odor and exhaust on my veg cab and probably an 8" inch for odor on the bloom cab and one of those 6" inline duct fans I posted for the air cooled hood.

My bloom cab isn't finalized yet but it's gonna have a 400w HPS (also gonna have a MH conversion bulb) with an air cooled hood (the hood is sealed so i'll have ducting from one side to outside the box and then through the hood and back outside the box. That should help alot with the temps since all the air that fan is sucking is directly over the light... But then i will also have an 8" High Output CAN brand Inline fan (says 737 CFM... I havn't finalized the box size so I might not need that big of a fan.. so it might end up being the 6" High Output CAN inline model (440 CFM..).

I think i've got the veg box pretty well planned out now.. One question that didn't get answer is.. Is two much light for clones a problem? With the way i'm going to set up the veg box it will be roughly 2500 lumens per square foot and the clones will have roughly 5000 lumens per square foot. I thought more light would be better but idk.. could it hurt them?

EDIT: How tall should I make my bloom box. Like I said i'll have a 400w HPS/MH conversion with an air cooled hood... I will flower the plants under 2'. Probably average about 1' 6" when I flower... (I think i remember reading a plant will about double in height during the bloom period...) So i'm thinking about 4' tallest plant (just to be safe) plus about 3' or so for the light (the light itself, distance from the plants, and hangers) but i'm not sure how much closer and air cooled hood can be to the plants...

4. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

If your planning on growing indica/sativa hydrids like most ppl do you need 2.5 times the height of the plant you want to flower plus 1 foot between the light and plant and 1 foot for the light itself plus .5 foot for sativa phenos.

So 1.5 foot plant into flower = (1.5*2.5)+1+1+0.5 = 6.25 feet roughly

If your going for pure sativas change the 2.5 to 3.5

The above should give you plenty head room.

As for your veg box. In my experiance you dont need much more than an oscilating fan in a veg box with floros. Maybe a small PC fan outlet and passive exhausts. You can get away with a 125w envirolite for 6 plants to 1 foot without suffering any negetive effects.

Its flowering that needs the wattage and airflow!

5. Gopher Love

Cool thanks alot for that little for that little formula.

Well it's not the heat that i'm most concerned about. It's the odors. I can vent the veg box into the garage, under the base foundation of the house (yes there is just a plain old hole in the cement in the closet my veg will be in... we were gonna put a shower in...), or just straight into the closet. Would the veg odor be strong enough to worry about?

If not then whatever, I got a bunch of PC fans laying around for exhaust and I can get a few fans for internal airflow.

Well looking at what you've said I think i'll use the floros I already have (3 4' 2 bulb T8s, and 4 26w CFLs) and then buy HTGsupplys 2 Foot 2 Lamp PL-55 Tek Lamp... That will be more than enough to grow clones and keep the mommys alive.

6. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

I can never smell vegging plants outside there box. I dont vent the veg cab at all.

I think you have plenty light to veg.