Lighting options......finally!

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by blackprince11, Dec 2, 2011.

1. blackprince11

blackprince11 Prince of the Hindu Kush

Come on let's get all the jokes out now! "Hey BP, when you gonna get a real light and stop interrogating those poor plants with the flourescent "fucilli" bulbs? They don't know anything! Let my people go!" Ha! Ha! Ha! I know RR and CC both have zingers sitting on stand-by. Well boys, the fun is over. It's a new day. A brighter day. I'm finally getting a fucking REAL light! Wooohooo! So suck it! JK!

I've been looking and Discount Hydroponics looks like it has the most reasonable deals. The C.A.P. Valueline 400w Sw. for $169, the Lumantek 400w for $199, the Quantum 400w for $189, and the C.A.P. Harvest Sun 400w Sw. for $299.

Are all of these brands and systems ok or are there any that I should stay away from? Any chronic issues with delivery or performance?

2. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

I like my 600 lumateks and I think BB runs a quantum 600 so should be good investment either way. Dont buy a cheap bulb!!!! A better bulb will pay for itself 10x's over

Congrats on the light:good job:

No zinger on the light from me, just lets see some big buds from here on out

3. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Yup Nippie

Im running a Quantum 600W with a Hortilux EYE Super HPS and am LOVING it. I think either the Lumatek or the Quantum will work perfectly.

4. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

If you're looking at DH did you check out their Xtreme Lighting line? I own 2 of their 1k watt Xtreme Ballasts and 8" AC Hoods and I love them. They have a lifetime warranty on the ballasts.

[​IMG]

$284.95

5. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Shit hurling aside, you put out a few nice plants under the Dick Tracy system.

Check the prices at plantlightinghydroponics.com They look to be about $20 cheaper on those brands. Might want to check the Galaxy. A switchable 400, hood and Ushio bulb will run $170.

6. blackprince11

What is the difference between running a ballast on 120 or 240 volts? Will a 400w light be too hot for a closet; 6 ft wide, 8ft tall, and 2 feet deep? Will more than passive intake be necessary?

7. blackprince11

Where'd you get the bulbs? Online too or will Wally World suffice?

8. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

BP

I traveled to an out of state hydro store and purchased the equip.The Quantum 600 and EYE Hortilux Super HPS 600 cost me $250. the ballast was $179 and the bulb $109 but gave me a discount for buying both. I dont think wlamart will have any 400 HID bulbs... at least the ones near me do not.

9. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

10. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Running 120v or 240v to supply the ballast will have no impact on power consumption. I have never personally wired any of my lights for 240. However, based on what I've come to understand, the biggest benefit of running 240v is if you're wiring many lights. In such a case, running the ballasts on 240v will get you many more lights per amp used (since for every 240W being used you only require 1amp, instead of 2). Looks to be very situationally useful.

On the other hand amps = heat in the ballast. Therefore reducing the total number of amps being pulled to the ballast will reduce the total amount of heat produced by the ballast, and increase the life of the ballast (estimates I hear are an increase in ballast life anywhere from 20-30%). Again, situationally useful. Most likely Not worth the bother to pull a brand new wire unless you have some crazy $1,000 ballast.

Unless you're pulling a loooottttaaa air through your closet, and specifically through the hood, heat could be an issue in that size of closet. I only say this based on my experience with my first ever grow room. It is 8'x5'x8' and I have to get pretty decent air flow through the hood in order to not heat dmg the top leaves on my plants. My 400W MH sits nearly 24" away from the canopy.

But if noise is not an issue for you, then pulling the air you need to cool that set up will not be an issue either. If you're looking for complete stealth, you can pretty much forget any type of HID. And that's not horrible since the new T5 grow light fixtures can kick out up to 30k initial lumens.

In any case good luck brother.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011
  11. ResinRubber

BBBRRRRRRRRRRPPPPP. Wrong answer. Lots of HID high stealth rooms/cab/lockers/fridges online. Of course if I'm BP I'd hire a buddy to wire anything. (my shots come sidewise when your not looking bra.:roffl:)

12. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

Nah as long as your exhaust is around 200 to 250m3/h you'll be fine with a passive intake. Just make sure more than about 30inch square.

13. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Res how do you keep it cool? All my guesses - AC, water chiller - these things are all excessively loud.

14. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

hey BP, I have one of those 'valueline' lamps in 150w. Eh it works ok for vegging pre-outdoor placement, I suppose a high wattage would be fine. It could still be not so fucking hot, though, I had to put a AC in the window so the room doesn't over-heat.

If you check ebay you can find HydroFarm lamps for about the same price range from certain sellers. I have one of those in 400W and it works fine. Only problem with it though is it's louder than advertised, especially if it gets too warm but I reckon they do that.

15. ResinRubber

Decent fans mounted correctly. The fridge moves 240 cfm with the fan mounted underneath. You can't hear a thing on the other side of the door 3 feet away. Even in the room it's quieter than most bath fans. The closet moves 265 cfm with no bends and you can't hear anything outside the room it's in.

Problem is most people start a grow with a light and worry about nutrients, strains, seeds then hodge podge a vent system as an after thought. Fuck that! Pick a floor space sq/footage. Determine wattage required and immediately figure out the airflow. If you can't adequately move air lower the wattage until you can.

1. No 90 degree bends. If that's unavoidable never put a bend within a foot or two of an intake or exhaust.

2. mount your fan suspended on rubber straps or on neoprene pads to reduce transmitted vibration.

3. Never mount a fan directly to hard ducting that attaches to a wall or other hard surface. The hard surface (wall) can act as a sound board amplifying any vibration.

16. blackprince11

I have two wooden shelves above the main compartment of the closet and I was thinking that I would hang my lamp from the heavy wooden pole that is secured on both ends to the wall and then put the ballast on a shelf above the light and plant but if vibration from the power unit is going to be a problem that's out. From what I hear I get the impression that heat is not only going to be a problem with the light but with the ballast as well, am I correct? If I am correct that would be reason #2 not to have the ballast on top of the shelf above my grow because it would be away from any cooling elements that I could add to the compartment.

Would changing to a 250w or a 300w solve the potential heating problem without sacrificing the ability to REALLY flower a plant good?

Damn! This is a bit more complicated than I thought it would be.

17. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

If you have a big fan youll be fine with the ballast in the room.

18. blackprince11

Big-ass fan; check!

Now is that advice for the 400w or the 250w or 300w?

19. blackprince11

{ as Yosimitie Sam } Ooooooo! You varment!

20. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

400 will be fine