My First Grow in Japan

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Hank Chinaski, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Just a little update. I went up to check and water my 10 Thc Bombs. I first went to a spot with 3 and got a dose of reality. One was really dried out looking, only the top, central growth was still green. One had been eaten, just a little stem sticking out and one was bent over and withered, probably dead. So, I lost two of those three. But, then I went to the place where I have 7 hidden in some trees and they were all really healthy looking. Here's 2 pics at one week in the ground:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't water any of them when I put them in and not until I went to check on them, so I thought it was lack of water, but I used the same fertilizer on some vegetable transplants and a lot of them got burnt from the fertilizer it seems, so maybe that was it, although the 7 Thc Bombs in the trees weren't bothered by either, so I'm not entirely sure. (Wow, that's a long sentence.)

I still haven't gone out to check on the island grow spot yet, and I'm hoping I don't find everything burnt, wilted and fucked up from too much fertilizer. I plan on checking on them in a couple of days and hopefully will be able to report some good news.

daytrypper likes this.
  2. shaitand

shaitand The Dark One

Very nice! Hope you don't mind if I hop on board this grow. :popcorn-2:

:passsit:

3. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

Well, after totally re-reading this thread, and catching all the updates I've missed. I'm very excited to see how this turns out.

I totally understand placement choices and I think your doing EVERYTHING just the way you need to. :) :ebert:

I think your choice of locations was well thought out and I'd say your good to go as far as human intervention.

I believe your main concern is going to be pest and critters.:bug3::groundhog::hs:

I love the pics and am VERY excited to watch this epic grow show . . . Thanks Hank for sharing the :cool-pix: with us and giving us all a bit of an adrenaline boost.:laugh:

:notworthy::iwojima:

4. NOTthatTIGER

NOTthatTIGER Developed Alternating Nodes

in washington, and oregon, panther piss around the plants a bit will keep the animals away, slug killer perimiter, but in cali, it is law enforcement that is biggest pest....

japan.....hmmmm..ninja gophers, and shogun rats, will prolly need special shit...home depot isle 12 ..................kiddin' :)

just a thought...any way atall to plant them out side when they area little stronger?....(prolly not, japan is difficult, from what i understand)

5. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Lots of dead plants

Well, 3 weeks after transplanting, I went to check on the place where I put 18 little plants on the island in the river and of the 18 only 6 were still alive.

[​IMG]

What a bummer. I'm pretty sure it was over fertilization. I dumped a ton of 14-14-14 pellets around each plant. I figured the soil was nutrient poor and I wasn't even going to check on them for a month, so....but in hindsight it was really stupid of me. Little weak transplants super dosed with strong fertilizer. Really just a common sense thing that I messed up. I burned/killed a bunch of my vegie starters the same way last week.

In the future I think I will use a weaker fert, place very little when I first transplant and also water them in when I transplant. I didn't even do that when I put them in. I didn't even water them after I transplanted them. Pretty dumb, but I actually feel pretty calm about it. I shall chalk it up as a learning experience.

[​IMG]

Can you see where the ground is wet from my tears?

This was the healthiest one. I think it is Purple White Widow. Durban Poison seems to be the toughest plant as 4 of 6 were still alive.

[​IMG]

I then went and checked my along the river spot of 7 plants and found one had died, but a few of them looked pretty good with 5 or 6 inches of growth in about 9 days.

This one is "Outdoor Mix".

[​IMG]

So, to summarize, I now have in the ground:

10 Lowryder2 (maybe, I can only see 7, but I can't really check them too close)

2 Holland's Hope

2 Purple White Widow

4 Durban Poison

2 "Bonus"

2 "Outdoor Mix" (looking very sativa) and

8 THC Bomb

I really hope the worst is over and that the ones that haven't died will recover and become good healthy plants. They still haven't been sexed yet. Also, I still have 10 Super Haze feminized and 2 freebie feminized to go out in a week. So, not counting the Lowryder2, maybe 10 females plus the 12 feminized for 22 females total. Maybe.

I feel like I should order some more seeds real quick. Or maybe not.

6. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Live and learn my friend! :thumbs-up: At least some of them are still going.:cool-pix:

7. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Man...I feel your pain. Took me several years to get the outdoor thing going good. Then that got fucked up by a nosey POS. Outdoor growing is far tougher than it looks as you are finding out. It's good that you have what you have left at least. Now do what ya know ya need to do and keep um that way. :thumbs-up:

8. blackprince11

blackprince11 Prince of the Hindu Kush

I was just watching Karate Kid II and I had a question: Dosen't Japan get those really bad tropical storms and like monsoons and shit? How's that gonna affect the plants especially during flowering?

EDIT: I was looking at that part when Mr. Miagi was about to chop that big wooden post so that he could free that guy underneath while that big storm was going on and all I could think was "Damn, if sombody was growing weed around there I bet they'd be really pissed right about now!"

9. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

:roffl: :roffl: :roffl: :roffl: That's like trying to figure what the South Pacific is like by watching Gilligan's Island.

10. blackprince11

What's so funny?

But if you WERE watching Gilligans Island for that reason it wouldn't HURT, now would it? I mean, it'd get ya started wouldn't it?

11. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Just flippin ya shit BP. :passsit:

12. blackprince11

Got ya RR!!!:roffl: :roffl: :roffl:

Good luck Hank!!!

13. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Thanks.

Thanks for checking in ya'll.

14. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

Thanks for sharing :beerchug-2:

:popcorn-2:

15. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

I just planted 8 Ch.9 "Super Haze" today, it was fun, but I am tired.

THIS TIME, I gave them lots of water and lots of polymers when I put them it. I think they will be ok. But, I think it will be a not very long growing season for them.

16. RkyMtnWayHigh69

Still very excited to see how this one goes. ;) You have most of the cards in your favor, as far as I can tell.

I just remembered I have an unanswered PM from you. :laugh:

Great thread man, I really enjoy checking out all the cool pics and wild shit you have over there. ;)

thanks for sharing!:bigok:

17. insaneface

insaneface Begun Flowering

Yeah i remember them leaving a sign i think i read real heart breaker...

hey hank glad to see your outdoor project going like they posted earlier at least you got some still going...

18. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Correction: I planted 4 Jack Herer (RIP) and 4 Neville's Haze.

And Herb, you are totally right. Outdoor planting isn't as easy as it looks and is a bit of work as well.

Out of the many plants I initially put out, only 3 are still alive. 1 Durban Poison, 1 Holland's Hope and 1 Purple White Widow. All the rest died or were males. That was rounds 1 & 2. Steep learning curve there.

Round 3 (10 Ch.9 Super Hazes, feminized) is doing just fine. I gave 3 Super Haze babies to a friend, so I have 7 SH and 2 freebies, a Sharksbreath and a Cole Train. These seeds were all from The Attitude.

Round 4 which is in the process of going out is 10 Jack Herer and 14 Neville's Haze (all feminized). I put 8 out yesterday, which leaves 16 more to go out in the next week before the rainy season starts up.

That comes to a total of 36 female plants.

1 Durban Poison

1 Purple White Widow

1 Holland's Hope

1 Sharksbreath

1 Cole Train

7 Ch. 9 Super Haze

10 Jack Herer

14 Neville's Haze

My 1st round Purple White Widow is the biggest at the moment, standing about 3 feet tall and bushy, fan leaves easily larger than my hand. The Durban Poison has already started flowering. All current plants are looking healthy and growing fast.

Things I will do differently next year:

1. Transplant them a little later. I started putting them out beginning of April. Next year I will wait to mid-late May. Not much rain April or May. Rainy season comes around 2nd week of June.

2. Use polymers when transplanting. Mix lots of polymers in with the soil when planting outdoors and then give them lots of water. Water often the first 2 or 3 weeks and then, when they are showing healthy new growth, start giving some light fertilizer.

3. Buy only feminized seeds. It's a waste of space, time, effort, etc... to even bother with male plants, unless I wanted to make some seeds.

4. Only buy seeds from one of the top breeders to ensure healthy fresh seeds/strong plants and quality genetics.

I'm waiting until they get bigger before I put any more photos up. Cheers.

19. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

5. Plant fewer plants.

Jeez, it's a lot of work just planting these buggers and then you have to go and check on/water them as well.

I put out 10 more yesterday. Only 6 Jack Herer left go. I abandoned a couple locations, but added a new one yesterday. So, I've got my plants spread around 3 locations. The last ones will go in thursday and it looks like the rainy season will be starting up a day or two after that. Save me watering duties for a few weeks. Time enough for them all to sink some deep roots.

Round four plants have all been planted with polymers. If I'd have used them in the beginning, it would have made a big difference, I think.

I'll get some pics up when I can. :flyy:

20. RkyMtnWayHigh69

What "polymers" are you talking about?

Damn dude, that is a shit ton of work. I don't know how you keep track of them.:laugh:

I really hope your able to get at least a few, in not many, big beefy plants to harvest. ;)

I've never grown outdoors, but I have seen people lose to the environment. Your a man with a plan, so I know your doing everything possible. ;)

I'm rooting for you all the way Hank!

Good luck and thanks for the great updates. ;) :ebert: