My First Grow in Japan

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Hank Chinaski, Mar 25, 2010.

1. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

imma reply to all this shot cuxfuck it

2. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

im ust so fucking happy for al of toiyu

3. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Good luck to you, too! I just checked your outdoor grow thread. We need some new pics, myan.

:popcorn-2:

4. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Just a little update

Well, it is starting to get exciting! My 7 Jack Herer's (grown in memory of) are all flowering. One, which has been flowering about 2 weeks, is getting pretty thick already. I checked back after a ten day break and was super surprised at how much thicker it had gotten. They're all pretty short, around 2 feet, so they look like they are just gonna be one big cola.

I'm telling ya. I'm drooling and dreaming about the smoke I'm gonna have.

Have I mentioned that in the 9 years I've been living in Japan, I've bought and smoked maybe a half oz. total? TOTAL. In 9 years! I have no tolerance at all right now. :)

Anyways, here's some pics. First is a small plot of 6 small plants, Jack Herer.

[​IMG]

And then some single plants. First pic is my fattest cola so far. Only about 2 weeks of flowering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Neville's Haze hasn't started flowering yet and the Super Haze have just started and they are all pretty spindly looking so I didn't take any pics of them, but here is a pic of my Purple White Widow. She's at 6 feet now. Sorry, the pic is back lit. She has just started flowering and looks pretty good. Could be thicker/denser/bushier, but live and learn. I'm going to do so much better next year with all I've learned this summer. I am very much looking forward to my next grow.

She smells super skunky! :)

[​IMG]

5. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Just thought I'd summarize from some previous posts the lessons I've learned/things I will do differently next year.

1. Transplant them a little later. I started putting them out beginning of April. Next year I will wait to mid-late May. Not much rain April or May. Rainy season comes around 2nd week of June.

2. Use polymers when transplanting. Mix lots of polymers in with the soil when planting outdoors and then give them lots of water. Water often the first 2 or 3 weeks and then, when they are showing healthy new growth, start giving some light fertilizer.

3. Buy only feminized seeds. It's a waste of space, time, effort, etc... to even bother with male plants, unless I wanted to make some seeds.

4. Only buy seeds from one of the top breeders to ensure healthy fresh seeds/strong plants and quality genetics.

5. Plant fewer plants.

Jeez, it's a lot of work just planting these buggers and then you have to go and check on/water them as well.

I'm also going to add,

6. Dig bigger holes and add soil/amendments, etc...

and

7. Use liquid fertilizer. I was using fertilizer pellets at first, then disolving them in water for a while, then I finally pulled my head out and bought some liquid ferts. Not only is it easier, but I'm sure it's easier and quicker for the plants to absorb.

8. In accordance with #s 1 and 5, put out much bigger transplants.

I'm really looking forward to a much greater success next year as compared to this one, but I'm still having a lot of fun this year and enjoying myself.

:affro:

6. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Great job. That PWW looks awesome. That's one I'd like to try. Your plan for next year seems really good. Seems like your having fun. Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

7. blackprince11

blackprince11 Prince of the Hindu Kush

Well I'll be damned!!!

He's almost pulled it off! And no Ninja or Yakuza have ambushed you yet? "Ahh, Hank Chinaski-san! Have you not heard the ancient Shinto proverb, 'It is better to share than to get shriukens thrown at ones head every day'? But what do I know? I'm just a man in a Ninja costume walking through the woods. Good day!"

:roffl:

Just foolin around. Lookin' good! Good luck, man!

8. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Thanks Iv Sticky, I'll tell you how that PWW tastes in a few more months. (Outdoor sure is slow compared to indoor.)

Thanks Ofo, be sure to tune in in October for the big finish. :)

BP, I don't need to worry about samurai or ninja. I've got tengu guarding my plots.

:affro:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

A few pics

Just a couple of new pics. My jack herer is busting out with the flowers, but the other varieties not so much.

Purple White Widow and Super Haze pretty much just starting. Neville's Haze hasn't even started yet. I get the feeling that the Neville's Haze will go into December and and might not completely finish before I have to pull them.

Here's my beauty, Purple White Widow. She's over 6 feet tall and about 4 feet wide. Smells nice and skunky. Filled out fairly well. I wonder how much, what kind of high, and what kind of taste I'll get.

[​IMG]

Jack herer about 3 weeks into flower. Coming right along.

[​IMG]

And the best of my 3 super haze. I hope I get some good smoke from this one.

[​IMG]

Well, that's it for now. Sorry that my pics kinda look the same everytime I update. I can't wait to get some nice cola shots.

:passsit:

10. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Their really coming along. The Jack Herer and the Purple White Widow look tasty.

11. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Very nice Hank.:thumbs-up: Look forward to more pictures to come. :popcorn-2: :popcorn-2:

12. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

WHOA!! Man...that is one KICK ASS grow for a first grow...damn fine work.

Dont worry about the Widow being "spindly". Evidently, that's just their nature. Ive grown WW seberal times and it always looks like that. NO PROBLEM, they bud like a blue-eyed SOB and those long thin colas just turn into big fat gigundus buds. In fact, it was seeing my spindly WW's produce that made me start to lean toward single or double cola plants.

I think your plans for next grow sound spot on perfect. You can read these posts til your butt falls off, but nothing teaches you like your first grow. And you didnt even have any disasters! My first grow, I let a male get past me and had SEEDS in every bud.

Im dying to hear the Smoke Report and for god's sake TAKE PICS OF HARVEST! The six foot Widow ...Im especially interested in how she does for you. The last two weeks they really pack it on and Ive noticed a WW likes an extra week.

CARRY ON!

Dixie

13. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Thanks everybody.

I went to one grow spot today that has two small seperate plots. One with 6 Jack Herer and one with four Neville's Haze.

The Jack Herer had some issues with browning/drying out buds as some of you may recall. I cut out some more bad buds today, but only two of the six have that problem. The other four are A-ok healthy and the disease or mold or whatever it is hasn't spread to them. So, that is a positive note,

The Neville's Haze are nothing to look at really, which is why there are no pics of them here. Two are small, one is so ridiculous I get angry when I look at it, but one is kinda ok looking and I noticed today that it has finally started to flower, which is a small bit of excitement for me.

This is really an excellent hobby. :bong-2:

HeadCase and virago420 like this.
  14. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

Your plants are starting to look great Hank. I was wondering what would happen to you if you got caught in Japan with pot & growing I hear they are pretty tuff on drug use.-Bud

15. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Thanks, bud. I have read that the laws are strict and I know from experience that almost everyone is clueless about pot and lumps it in with meth, heroin, whatever. But, I haven't heard of any actual court cases and don't really know what kind of punishments are dished out.

I should do some research in that area. I do know the cops and court system is quite a bit different here than in the states. The cops go to court with like a 98% confession rate. Almost everybody confesses to their crime. They use sleep deprivation and other techniques to soften you up. They can keep someone up to 24 days (I think it is) without charging them and they can obtain evidence any way at all and it's still admissable. Police have very few restraints on them here.

Everybody here trusts the police!!!!!

And then in court, having confessed, if you apologize and "show remorse" you will get a much lighter sentence than if you don't. I've seen it many, many times in the papers.

Hopefully, I won't be verifying any of that first hand.

16. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Time For An Update. Lots of pics.

Well, it's been two weeks and that actually seems like a good interval. The plants can change a bit more noticably. All my late starters are getting going on their flower production and I had quite a nice visit with all my plants yesterday.

First off, I haven't shown this one. The very last things to go out were some bonus seeds I got from my last order. I threw 4 into some big pots and put them out in the bushes by an old road. Two died right away. Two kept going, but one of those died for some reason recently as well. This is my last mystery plant. I wonder what it is?

[​IMG]

And the top. Looks very sativa dominant.

[​IMG]

This one I planted a couple years ago. He's a male, but I decided to let him live.

[​IMG]

So, first to the one site with two plots in the back of an unused field. My 3 Neville's Haze in this locale are particularly scrawny, but have gotten a growth spurt since they started flowering about 10 days a go.

Neville's Haze:

[​IMG]

The other site has 6 Jack Herer and lots of moldy buds. I think last time I posted it seemed to be getting better, but then a later trip had lots of dying/browning flowers. I cut a bunch out, a fairly large percent of the total - maybe 30 - 40 percent by this point. The pic of all of them together is too sad to show, but here is my biggest one, which has resisted the mold up til now.

Notice the brown bud in the middle. Ouch.

[​IMG]

On to my river spot which had some deaths by flooding, but after that all the plants down there are doing better then the ones in the old field. I may use it again next year.

Here's a Neville's Haze from the river spot. There are 3 of them. All the NH are doing better down in the river. I'm thinking more sun and better air circulation are the major factors at work here, maybe a higher water table also. The Neville's Haze are really sativa dominant I read and they go very late into the season. I may be just on the edge of the suitable growing region, or my latitude might be a bit high. We'll see.

[​IMG]

Here's a Super Haze from Ch. 9. There are 3 here and they aren't super robust or anything, but they'll finish out and we'll see what they taste like, for sure.

[​IMG]

Super Haze cola starting to fill in a bit there.

[​IMG]

And my pride and joy, Purple White Widow. She's really getting flunky and flirty. I like a big girl and me and her are gonna get real familiar.

[​IMG]

And another. I couldn't choose.

[​IMG]

And the top. Still a bit thin, but she's only been flowering for about 3 weeks now.

[​IMG]

Here's a few shots of some flowers that were out at my river site on Monday. It's called higanbana. It flowers twice a year around the time of the spring and autumn equinoxes. It's a nice reminder of the natural cycle. Very abundant and pretty.

Oops, mind the focus.

[​IMG]

Any gardeners want a few bulbs in the mail?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ofo and RkyMtnWayHigh69 like this.
  17. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

To bad about the browning. The Purple Widow is looking real nice. The river spot looks like there's plenty of good growing to be had there, between the water table and probably the sediment and nutrients that the flooding leaves behind. NH are looking ok. How much longer do you have before it gets too cold there?

18. bncooldude13

bncooldude13 I supply your drug dealer

Marijuana & Nuclear fall Out= Blubonic Plants. Awesome dawg ! :passsit:

19. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

Very nice looking ladies and the little male is cute too. ;) Funny, thats the EXACT face I had when I ate ResinRubber Habenaro Jambalaya . . . but I digress . . .

From the looks of things you should be able to have enough smoke to hold you over for quite awhile. I'm not sure what your prospects are, but I'm guessing this is your source until next year. Should be doable I think.

Do you know what caused the brown spot? I know you said mold, but wondering if you knew more. Hopefully it doesn't spread, that is an outstanding looking plant.:drooling:

How much longer do you have before the season is over?

Thanks for sharing the AWESOME pics and I really enjoy checking out your killer outdoor grow. ;) :ebert::bigok:

Is it possible to do an indoor grow there? Just curious . . .

20. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Long Time No Update! Absolutely no pics!!!

Well, it's been quite a while since my last update. The reason is that I've been having computer issues. Both my computers chose to break at the same time. They are both old and I'm just gonna buy a new one, but until then I'm only on intermittantly. *sound of faint applause*

I have some new pics I want to upload. I'll have to get that done this week, for sure.

:nopics:

UPDATE

I took the plants that were having the mold problems like 3 weeks ago or so. They were a few weeks early, but I thought it would be best to take them before the mold got there. It kept spreading and spreading.

There were 6 Jack Herer in that spot. They were small, etc... and the yield was nothing spectacular, but I'm smoking nice, fresh buds in my new glass pipe every day and I feel really proud of myself. I only got about 50 grams total from those 6 plants. About 40% of which was moldy. So, that leaves 30 grams of the good stuff (a little early, but still quite nice, I think).

If it was just me, that 30 grams would last me like 2 months. I am a really light smoker. I almost never smoke during the day, except on weekends sometimes. I have work from the morning til 9 or 10 at night then I go home and smoke a bowl and relax. Some days 3 or 4 hits is all I need. I really don't need a lot of weed. A little lasts me a long time, however my neighbor/friend is a much heavier smoker and often visits me to help me smoke my weed. It kind of feels like the ant/grasshopper fable. While I was fjording wild rivers and crawling through the jungle he was kicking back, taking it easy. I'll have to start charging him before too long. (I gave all the moldy bud to him and he is happy as heck to smoke it up for free.)

In the beginning, we were smoking fan leaves and dead, wilted seedlings, etc... and the funny thing is we were happy to have that stuff. We talked about how it wasn't too bad, really. Then we were smoking the moldy buds for a while and, though it was a bit harsh on the throat, we were even happier and really loving the almost normal strength of it. Now, smoking slightly premature buds and it's like heaven and I hold the bud in my hand and look at it and smell it and I feel so proud of myself when I'm packing a bowl.

THANK YOU :GK: !!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, been rolling some tobacco/pot cigs and enjoying that. In the world of weed costing an arm and a leg, rolling a joint never crosses the mind. Those few dear grams are just too rare and precious. Pipes only. But I'm able to enjoy a nice relaxed smoke now. :affro:

There was one Jack Herer in another spot that went a further 3 weeks and was pretty finished looking and is drying now and I'm looking forward to comparing the two diff. Herers.

I moved the little potted sativa looking bonus seed plant into my backyard and am looking forward to trying it. It looks like it's getting pretty close and I took a little bud off a lower branch to give it an early taste in a couple days.

STILL WAITING ON

- One big purple white widow. Some of the big fan leaves are showing some purple coloration. It's my baby and I am drooling to try it. I'm guessing another month or so.

- 5 decent sized Neville's Haze (and a couple little ones too small to count really). I'm guessing they go as late as they can, another 8 weeks maybe.

- 3 Super Haze. I'm guessing anothr 6 weeks.

I went with sativa dominant types because I read they are more mentally stimulating. (I really don't know too much about the difference between this or that variety.) But, I now know that sativas finish much later. Finishing time will be a consideration when I'm choosing next year's varieties. Some indicas, some sativas. Some earlier, some later.

I first smoked pot when I was 12 years old, 30 years ago, but I really just mostly smoked Mexican brick weed and am pretty inexperienced in the world of quality nuggs.

MY FIRST SMOKE REPORT EVER!! :passsit:

Well, I'm smoking this stuff after basically not smoking (Only 3 or 4 times a year or so) for 9+ years, so my judgement maybe isn't the best, but... It seems pretty nice to me. I often get a little paranoid or overly self-conscious when smoking, but this stuff doesn't affect me too bad in that area. A little bit of self-consciousness right away after smoking,but it soon fades away and leaves a nice happy, relaxed feeling. This weed is very relaxing physically, but stimulating mentally. I smoked some after karate practice last week and went from creaking, hurting middle aged body to smooth moving, relaxed walking the dog body. I felt like it was my first time using Mj as medicine. All my little aches and pains went right away. It worked really well as a mild pain killer.

I remember when I was a kid and had first started smoking pot, I used to lay back and close my eyes and watch images dancing and morphing and flowing into different things and they pulsed to a beat usually and it was really cool, but then it was like I got used to it and for many, many years I could never get that effect. Well, that effect is back again. It's cool, but this weed is really costing me some sleep. I get physically mellow and loose, but my mind keeps turning and turning and running in the sun and swimming in the river and picking up rocks and night's coming but the child doesn't want to go in and the sun doesn't want to set either. Lying in the dark with my wife and kids sleeping nearby, but inside my head is still light.

As far as judging the flavor, I don't know. It tastes to me like a crisp October wind blowing leaves in the moonlight.

ResinRubber likes this.