Northern Lights -vs- NL #5

Discussion in 'Strain Guide' started by HappyHappyHighGuy, Jan 15, 2008.

1. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

What is the difference between these two strains? Do they have the same lineage?

2. Shine Down

Shine Down plays in cabinets........

i have always read the #5 was the best strain of all the numbers....

as far as lineage i couldn't tell you.

taken form the wiki...

Northern Lights (strain)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

This article does not cite any references or sources. (November 2007)

Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unverifiable material may be challenged and removed.

Yield: Large

Flowering Time: 6 - 7 weeks

Height: 100 cm - 150 cm

Northern Lights is a strain of cannabis. It is one of the first successful hybrids of Cannabis indica and Cannabis sativa. First developed in the 1970s in the New England area, and of uncertain origin beyond that, it has spawned a number of substrains. For many years these substrains and cross-strains dominated marijuana festivals such as the Cannabis Cup. Most are considered to be among the easiest strains to grow, being quite hardy and forgiving to the novice indoor grower with a typical flowering time of 6-7 weeks. Northern Lights #5 in particular is renowned for this trait. The strain's reputation as a compact, high-yield plant, with a high potency, also makes it popular among marijuana users.

3. Allen

Allen Humble Gardener

I've only seen NL 5 x Haze available in seed form. Haven't found straight up NL 5 anywhere. Anyone know what breeders carry it, and who's got the real deal, not a knock off?

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Sticky Skunky Buds

The original is the best, but if you cannot get the original then #5 is the best out of the line. KC Brains sells the original.

5. Shine Down

Shine Down plays in cabinets........

Northern Lights

Genetics:Afghani/Skunk No. 1/Haze

Variety:Strongly Indica (>80%)

Type:F1 Hybrid

Harvest Date:Mid - Late September

Flowering Period: 6-7 Weeks

Characteristics:Early maturing plant producing large flowers.

The Genetics of Northern Lights is one of the most confused of all existing cannabis strains because there is no one who can take entire credit for its creation. Northern Lights was developed as an indoor seed Strain in the late 1970s near Seattle in Washington, although the Genetics involved in the cross were known to have come from California - the original home of a great many of the most famous cannabis strains. It was initially a stabilised cannabis sativa Strain crossed with an Afghani indica Hybrid.

Northern Lights travelled to Holland as a clone where it was introduced to the commercial cannabis seed market in 1985 by The Seed Bank.

Because it arrived as a clone it could not be inbred for stability and seed production, therefore Skunk No 1 and Original Haze were used to produce seeds off it so it could be used as a parent plant.

Northern Lights distinctly shows its Afghani indica genetic background; it is a small plant that produces, big highly resinous flowers. Although it was initially developed for indoor growers excellent results have been produced outside. Northern Lights has a sweet resinous taste and produces a physical comfortable but lazy feeling, known to some as 'couch lock'.

:taken from cannabis.com

Advanced - Breeding

What is the history of Northern Lights?

I got familiar with the Northern lights family (originally said to be from the Pacific Northwest) back in the 1980's when Nevil's Seed Bank offered the whole lineup. The original Northern Lights family is genetically diverse.

Northern Lights 1 was a single stalked, compact plant with a moderate Afghani smell. No one offers this classic version at this time. A strong plant and buzz.

Northern Lights 2 was a sturdy, pine tree shaped with a musty and piney odor. Dutch Passion (Oasis) and THSeeds (Closet Queen) currently offer versions.

Northern Lights 2 X 5 from The Seed Bank was very bushy and resinous with a strong juniper berry smell. A truly remarkable hybrid not offered by anyone.

Northern Lights 5 is available from BCSC for $75, a variety Nevil of The Seed Bank said was only available pure as a cutting. It is likely hybridized at one point.

Northern Lights 9 X 5 "disappeared" when Nevil sold his genetics to Sensi Seeds. This is the only original Northern Lights 9 genetics source to my knowledge.

These are the original Northern Lights breeding lines from which today's versions arose. Sensi Seed Bank sells Northern Lights with no number attached. Having access to Nevil's original genetics, my guess is that they crossed an Northern Lights 1 male to their Northern Lights 5 mother and stabilized the results. Northern Lights Special is a hybrid from KC Brains in Holland of Sensi's Northern Lights crossed to a Haze female. Northern Lights 9 was only sold in seed form as a hybrid to the Northern Lights 5 mother plant by Nevil at The Seed Bank during the late 1980's. Sagarmatha receives a lot of their strains delivered to them as a finished product from outside breeders. It is possible that someone produced these seeds. The known fact of a Northern Lights 9 male existing meant purebred seed should have been possible to produce, unless it was a male only strain. Trichome Technologies has a strain named Northern Lights 6, another related family member.

6. Allen

Allen Humble Gardener

Sagarmatha offers a NL #9

7. SMARMY

SMARMY Cuban Bee

Ive grown NL#5 from BC seed co. I have also grown sensi's NL . They were both excellent, but the 1 from sensi was a bigger yielder.

8. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

There are several breeders that carry strains called Northern Lights with no #'s attached...Nirvana, KC, Sensi, femaleseeds.

The only one I've tried is femaleseeds and I liked it, but I was thinking of trying Nirvana's version. Anyone tried it?