Ognennyy's New Growroom Jackberry

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by Ognennyy, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Never really looked at those, no. I think though I will stick with these larger 12 squares, and probably just veg a little longer til the canopy has filled completely into a nice sea of green.

Wow, WWWOOOWWWWWW I had two "dduuurrrrr" moments in the last 24 hours. Last night I came home to an awful, unnatural noise coming from my grow room. I could tell it was coming from the reflector, and thought that the new fan's higher air flow was causing the hammertone aluminum component to vibrate against the metal reflector casing. So I spent an hour trying to fix that.

After plugging the fan back in and the problem persisting, I suddenly realized the problem was that air was being sucked in through the tiny space between the glass and the reflector housing. It dawned on me that the intake line (an insulated 6" duct) must have collapsed on itself up in the attic, something these damn insulated ducts seem to have a tendency to do. So I went up and taped the end to a 6" coupling to make it stay open.

Then it turns out I had a defective 600W HPS bulb that came with my recent order. I was so pissed off and heart-broken, cuz it took me hours to rough in the wire to the new ballast, and I didn't have time to rewire the old one in to use it until I can get a new light bulb. So I just plugged a desk lamp into the timer to keep the light cycle consistent for now.

For some reason as I was waging war on porcelain city a few minutes ago, some voice in my head said "your new ballast is switchable AND dimmable, you FUCKING MORON." So off I go to the attic to switch the ballast to 400 and put my old 400w MH bulb back in lol :p

2. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

:redbong::thumbs-up:

3. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

The moment is upon us!

Alright boys and girls, I think it may be time for the 12/12 flip I've been waiting for so long!! I finally got my replacement 600w HPS digilux bulb. I have the 4" vortex fan recycling air from my bedroom, through the hood, and back to the bedroom. I've finally dialed the grow room into proper temps and humidity.

[​IMG]

And a couple shots of the ladies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really the only thing I don't like about my current situation is the lack of bush on them. There is a lotta 600w HPS falling on soil right now. I can't decide if I should top them again to try to get em to fill in some of the space between, or pull the 12/12 trigger.

What ya'll think?

4. buds4ever

buds4ever Lost in the woods

Healthy looking plants! I have some Jackberry from Sannies myself have not run them yet so Im excited to watch yours go.

If you are happy with them and the nodes are alternating I would flip. Looks like you will have a full room. Everything Ive read on the Jack they can get big and tall so plan if treated right. Might even consider a SOG.

Good Luck! b4e...:popcorn-2::passsit:

5. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

OG, I'd veg them for another week and start supercropping them. You'll have to tie them down too but they'll get nice and bushy.

duc

6. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Ya know I actually have the space to flower them without tying down. Or are you only recommending tying down as a ways to get them to bush faster? That may actually be an idea I'll consider, cuz I wish they were a little bushier but don't wanna top them again.

Currently I'm getting a little annoyed with a problem that's been persistent through this whole grow (and my last one too, so could just be a blueberry strain thing dunno). The uppermost leaves are still coming in very whispy, a bit twisted and curled.

I don't get it. I have a full size box fan in there blowing between the canopy and the light, I have a 4" vortex inline fan pulling air through the hood and a 6" vortex on a temp relay exhausting the room. So air is moving just fine. The temps stay below 76 at canopy level before the fan comes on. The humidity is ~60%, and occasionally I mist them. In short, the environmental factors are pretty ideal. Furthermore, that's only a 600W HPS in there and I have it hung 24" above the canopy. pH is 6.5. There is 100% no reason I should be getting any kinda leaf dmg, but it persists.

I just don't get it... is 24" above the canopy not enough? And if it's not, then how the hell are people on this site always talking about having their lights just 10-12" above the plants?

Frustrating.

7. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

I mean there literally only two options here that can be causing this. A) the light needs to be moved up, but I can't see how that's the case when everyone else hang theirs so close to their plants, or B) the box fan in there actually is not providing sufficient air flow within the entire grow space.

If that's the case, how do I need to supplement airflow inside the room? Put another box fan on the opposite wall, hung higher than the one I already have, and blowing air back at it, to create some kinda wind cell?

8. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

no, it doesn't sound like heat, more of a nutrient deficiency/burn.

9. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Few reasons why I don't think it's a nutrient issue. If I can get my hands on a decent camera, I think just by looking at it you'd probably agree.

1) I had this same problem last time I grew, only last time it wasn't jackberry it was dutch passion blueberry. That last grow I used straight FFOF, then supplemented with water soluble synthetic (the kinda ferts that say 'organic' on the label even though they're not) ferts cuz I was too stupid to think the guy who works at the hydro shop might not know wtf he's talking about, even though he doesn't. So.... overloaded FFOF last grow vs home-grown compost cut 50/50 with promix this time. Sure it could be I very VERY coincidentally and against all LONG odds created the same prob again, but I just wouldn't think so.

2) Problem ONLY occurs on the very top and newest set of leaves. When they grow larger, the issue goes away, and the new top leaves have em. I'm not sure but I think there aren't nutrient problems that hit new leaves, then go away and hit the new new leaves, continuously throughout the life of the plant.

3) The issue has become slightly worse now that I have the 600 in there, than it was with only the 400 in there.

4) The pH is in optimal range.

5) I have used not one drop of any water soluble "from a bottle off the shelf" ferts, nor have I used any blood meal. I have fed them an actively aerated compost tea with 1 cup of earthworm castings in 5 gallons of water, but that is an extremely weak dose that can safely be given even to brand new sproutlings.

I could be way off here, but my spider mite sense is telling me it's not nutrient related.

10. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Actually from the above pics I think they look fine.

problems that come to mind are

1 heat which you ruled out with the thermometer.

2 Over fertilization but you claimed nothing added but the tea. Lay off the tea for a while

3 ph... Your testing 6.5 which is right. Double calibrate that ph meter even a point off makes a hell of a differance.

Also I would flush them and see if that makes a improvement.

t6

11. ShadowWarrior

Good point about the new leaf growth being the only affected parts. I dunno what it might be then, outta my range of knowlege.. which is quite limited.

I'm gonna go with T6 and say you should recheck your Ph meter... sounds pretty odd though, anyway.

12. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Sounds like a good idea. The tea I gave em was probably 4-5 weeks ago, and no tea or food since then for em. I'll give em a flush, recalibrate, and recheck the pH just to make sure.

I mean I've wondered before it the way the new leaves come in is normal. But something about em just doesn't look right / normal ya know what I mean.

Anyway ty guys.

13. ShadowWarrior

is this problem visible in the pictures you posted? cuz I don't see anything wrong in the pictures at all

14. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

[​IMG]

I went back and looked at the pics again they look fine to me. In this picture it appears the very leaf edges might show a little burn minimal at the worst.

If ya want them bushy bushy you gotta top the hell out of em. I cant remember seems like the discription on the jackberry was a lower growing strain. I would have to go look.

Just keep in mind Sannie is a SAtiva lover and a lot of his strains have been crossed as such.

t6

t6

15. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Teamster sorry... that specific picture is actually the lone Kush that's in my grow room, surrounded by a buncha Jackberry. For whatever reason it seems much more resistant to whatever is bothering the Jackberries. The Kush remained shorter, bushier, and the new leaves coming in don't seem to twist or curl as much.

I didn't want to take this as evidence that it's a strain related issue, because the Kush is also shorter and bushier than the rest, and on the edge of the garden, therefore receiving much less heat. It's also getting less air flow, being as the fan is on the other side.

I dunno... fuck it. I guess it's something I can worry about at a later date as it truly seems to be a minor problem.

I'm taking no cuttings I think. I'm probably going to select a new strain for my next indoor grow, and I'm also going to install two oscillating fans before my next grow. I hate to vary two factors at once, cuz then I never really learn which factor was the culprit once the problem is solved.

But anyway, if I get my hands on a good camera soon I'll take better pictures so you can see. Otherwise no biggie, I guess I'll stop sweating it cuz I'm letting it drive my perfectionist nature to the brink of insanity.

16. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Relax

Your plants look great. Your gonna find out a lot of plants will produce great bud even if they are not perfect. You seem to be trying to produce the perfect grow. Its fine now stay consistant and leave them alone. They will produce fine.

One thing I did not touch on might not be a factor. YOu claim the kush is not receiving the air flow that the rest of the plants are receiving.

ok one thing I have noticed before when having a large amount of airflow on the plants is they will sometimes start to rh on the top of the canopy of the plants.

Last grow I was trying to reduce heat in the grow room as it has a passive intake a doorway and thats it. I have several small fans in the grow room which give a decent amount of air flow.

I decided to put a huge 24 inch fan high output in the doorway and ran it. The top canopy started to curl and rh out right away. I then hooked up a humidifier and it did not get any better. So I turned the big fan off reducing the airflow again and the problem went away.

point being if your temps are fine try reducing the flow down. They need fresh air but at a point they will be loosing moisture fast with a high amount of airflow.

t6

17. ShadowWarrior

We ALL want a perfect grow.. excellent post though. Good advice and tips.

18. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

What does it mean to "rh" the canopy? I guess the general idea is that you're hurting the humidity at the canopy leaves by blowing too much air across it? But if you're blowing air that is 60% RH across the leaves, why would that affect transpiration rates through the top leaves? I could see if the room were 20% RH and you had a high power fan going, how that could bring transpiration rates up to undesirable levels.

I will turn the box fan down to low (I've had it on medium forever) and see how that effects things. Better yet I will eventually replace it with a 12" oscillating fan. I'm not sure how this will turn out, since I put the box fan in there in the first place in response to this weird curling. That is to say, it was happening even before the box fan was in there. Then again.... back when they were still really small I had 2 small 6" personal fans blowing on them. I wonder if due to their small size that also was too much air flow. Dunno.

This is most likely just going to turn out to be a strain type of issue, since it happened in my first grow with dutch passion blueberry also. Any of you guys ever grown island sweet skunk indoors? I smoked that once and loved it, and I'm really considering it for my next grow. I *was* going to try purple kush cuz apparently it stays VERY bushy - nearly as round as tall, but the marijuana strains library website says that it's available only as a clone in California. Meh.

19. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

When I refur to Rh ing I am meaning the top canopy leaves are transpiring looseing moisture because of the high rate of air blowing across the leaves.

Kind of like havesting hay in windrows drying in the wind.

t6

20. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Begin 12/12

Just adjusted my light timer for 12/12!!:coolbounce:

I'm pretty stoked as this will be my first ever fully indoor grow. Set light to come on at 6pm, and turn off at 6am. I turned the box fan down to low, added a timer so my humidifier only comes on during the lights on cycle (humidity was getting up to ~75% during night cycle before), and moved the light up another 6".

There are currently 19 plants in there. 15 Jackberries in 12" squares, 1 Kush in a 12" (I took 2 cuttings from this one in case I wanna grow it again next round after outdoor prep dominates the grow room), and 3 Jackberries in the 1 gallon grow bags as I accidently only ordered 16 12" square pots heh.

I'll be happy with 6 females. The light cycle wasn't the most consistent factor in their first two weeks of life, as I was struggling with finishing off the grow room. And it took me quite a while to dial in the temperature and humidity. So 6 females would make me very happy, and I'll be shocked if I end up with 10 or more. I'm really hoping the kush is a female so I can in fact have those cuttings I took from it as optional mothers.

Unfortunately even if it is female I'm going to have to chop it early. From what I understand its flower time is longer by a couple weeks than the Jackberries. I can't afford to throw off my timeline, by leaving my room in 12/12 an extra two weeks (especially not for just one plant) for fear of setting back my 2012 outdoor grow.

So I'll report back with some pictures next Sunday if they're showing flowers at that point. In the meantime I'll be keeping a hawk eye out for the males and possible hermies. If any of the three Jacks in the 1-gal grow bags turn out to be females, they'll get transplanted into a 12" square pot vacated by any of the potential males.