Ognennyy's New Growroom Jackberry

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by Ognennyy, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Loving the way your plants are looking. I just got some Jack Berry and I'm looking forward to popping them. :redbong:

2. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

So have they taken off yet OG? Let's see a few picks brother:passsit:

Duc

3. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Jeeze that sounds like an awful lotta watering Nip! Do you use soils with high organic content, or just like peat moss or some soilless mix that doesn't hold a lot of water?

I'm pretty in love with the nicer 3 out of the 7 of my Jackberries, and the Kush I have. They're just so gorgeous in all their sinsemilian sublimity and crystal subtleties. Some buds are the color of a pearl melted into a sky at sunset. One plant's bud leafs look as though they were half-dipped into a bowl full of liquid grape jolly rancher and were then sprinkled with sugar (and it smells that way too). They're just beautiful.

But no they still haven't exploded. I think I probably let em get too big in veg, and the 600W isn't enough to adequately light them now. Or perhaps my expectations were just too high, given the time I've spent looking at pictures of the dialed-in gardens of experienced growers.

In any case, this Sunday marks the completion of week 5. I've planned to let them go another two weeks and then, given they actually have grown enough to be smokeable buds at that point, cut a bud quick dry and smoke to see what I think. But I'll probably let em go to 8 weeks or more cuz I don't like head / cerebral highs, I like when my body tingles.

I'm too ripped for pics right now lol sorry Duc. I tried to take pictures last week when I was high and I almost fell on my pretty purple one. So I'm gonna wait til this weekend.

4. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

straight perlite hempys

I can stick to a 3 x's a week schedule once in 5 gallons, but before that they are always thirsty. Vegging in Solos has it advantages with room, but also can be a pain with certain strains I have come to find out

5. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Aahhh I see Nippie. I've read lots on here about people growing with methods other than my own (soil food web in organic medium), and boy do I see some very gorgeous plants and large yields. I mean the benefits to those methods are pretty obvious. All one need do is look at your flowers!

Going soil food web with large amounts of compost and EWC in my medium sure has its advantages I think. They were vegd for 50 days, and have now been in flower for about 35-40 days. I've only watered them five times I think. The soil drains wonderfully, but also holds on to large amounts of water. Further, from what I've read my buds will be more crystally, smell and taste better, and ultimately produce a slightly better high than they would under synthetic growing conditions.

But I'm really starting to wonder... Do soil food web practices pretty much condemn me to always having small yields? Or is it just cuz I'm inexperienced?

Option two would definitely not surprise me. I mean the grow room was still under construction when my plants were born. They had a pretty inconsistent light cycle for the first two-three weeks. They had inconsistent temperatures and humidity for the first four weeks until I was able to determine the best setup. It also didn't help that they sprouted at the ass-end of fall, while winter and cold temps were setting in. So that threw a wrench in my gears as far as finding optimal setup.

They're in a roughly 4'x4' configuration with only a 600W HPS, and a hood that is not square in shape. That can't be helping. If all that wasn't enough, these are not clones. They're all from seed and their growing patterns are about as similar as a politician is honest. So the canopy is all sortsa uneven, and I had to trim some fan leaves to get light in to some flowers. That probably slowed shit down.

Whada ya'll think of my tentative plan for yield increase for my next round... While I'm germing and pre-veging my outdoor 2012 mothers in my clone cab (which will probably be in about 4 weeks from now), I'm also going to germ and pre-veg mothers for my next indoor. To the end of increased yields I will select a strain based on three criterion: 1) short bushy stature 2) heavy yielder 3) performs well in a SCROG. I will do my best to keep these indoor mothers roughly the same height, to whatever extent possible.

As soon as my outdoor plants go out I'm going to build an adjustable SCROG (adjustable cuz of course I can't be positive, with a new strain, at what height I will want to drop the screen to the canopy). I plan to create another 6" passive intake - bringing total passive intake diameter to 12" - to better complement my 6" exhaust. I will purchase a 12" oscillating fan which I will mount in an adjustable fashion so that I can always keep it blowing well above, as opposed to on, the canopy. This is important to me because it became quite obvious to me that direct wind on my canopy was to blame for the constant upper leaf twist / curl that plagued my current ladies when they were in veg.

I'm going to acquire a much larger humidifier cuz the current tiny one could no longer do its job. Then again I may forego this step momentarily because I'm also going to add CO2 supplementation. With the air in the grow space being swapped less often, I will probably get away with that little one gal humidifier.

I'm at a loss for what to do about my light, regarding the reflector (I'm gonna stick with 600W til I get a little more experience). The current reflector measures 12"W x 20"L. The angle of the reflector on the long sides is much steeper than it is on the ends of the reflector. My guess is this was the manufacturer's attempt to compensate for its non-square nature, and create a square footprint. My further guess is that this reflector may be pretty inefficient. Is it worth the investment to upgrade to a square reflector?

This is an earful I know. But for anyone who's read this far, please let your opinions fly. I wanna make several upgrades to the grow room based on this first nub experience of mine. But I also wanna only make those upgrades once, I wanna get it right the first time if possible :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  6. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

1. Put the CO2 thoughts away for awhile. Lots of areas for improvement before you turn to that one. Get at least 4 or 5 solid indoor gardens under your belt first.

2. All factors affect yield.

3. Organic does NOT condemn you low yield unless you consider these to be substandard colas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. It's most likely not your reflector but of you want to change things up try a simple cheapo batwing reflector ($35?) or go with a vertical bare bulb.

Hope it helps.

7. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Shoot us a current shot of those babes

t6

8. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Woops sorry Res. I didn't notice this post before I PMd you.

Advice taken. I'll postpone CO2 for a few more grows.

I used to have a batwing reflector and it blew donkey dick cola. I'll again take your advice on faith, but allow me to say this. The only reason my attention was even drawn to the reflector in the first place, is because the plants located more toward the middle - and therefore more directly under the light - actually look brighter. What I mean is to look at them it's pretty obvious that they're getting more lumens than the plants on the outside.

My inclination was to get a reflector that puts out a more even footprint, and that naturally led me to wondering about a square reflector.

Perhaps purchasing a square reflector is looking in the wrong place for an answer. Maybe to do so is to treat a symptom, as opposed to the root problem. Might my problem more closely lie in the fact that I'm misusing a 600W light? Is it just not a good idea, no matter the reflector, to attempt to light a 4'x4' garden full of 3' tall plants with only a 600W light?

I'll plan to keep the current reflector. Might I see improved yields by using a SCROG, switching from 12"square pots to 9"square pots so as to consolidate the canopy, and flowering much sooner to reduce the height of the canopy thereby improving light penetration?

I know the entire philosophy behind SCROG is to, to whatever extent possible, eliminate light penetration as a factor affecting yield. I realize this means that plant height should be given consideration with respect only to keeping the canopy as full as possible, while at the same time keeping the SCROG under control and manageable.

So to revise, will reducing from 12"square pots to 9"square pots, consolidating the area that needs lighting, and keeping my current reflector, have a significant enough impact to even worry about? I don't mind spending $50 to get some 9"square pots if I think it'll help.

9. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

4 x 4 area well you tell me. this section is a 6 x 2 under one 600w light

Rooie Maries

t6

[​IMG]

10. that gringo

that gringo Young Bud of GK

:popcorn-2:

11. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Like I said, you're over thinking.

Every artificial light source will have a 'sweet' spot no matter how you situate the bulb. Rotate plants so the tallest are on the outside edge to make best use of your light.

At 16 sq/ft of garden you're pushing the limit for a 600w lamp. 12 sq/ft is really the max for a single 600 HID if you want heavy flowering. The above plants were under 400w lamps but with 100w HID p/sq/ft. If you want big thick magazine buds on 3ft plants you NEED NEED NEED 50-100w HID p/sq/ft.

Sorry T6- those be cut, cured and gone already.

12. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Yeah and thats with a fixed mounted cool tube no less. A Stationary reflector or bare bulb would be even better

t6

13. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Guess I'll keep everything about the light constant for now, and drop to 9"square pots for 16 plants. This gives me only 3'x3' to worry about lighting. Even if I wanted to keep 4 square feet of garden, it won't work with a SCROG in my grow room cuz I wouldn't be able to move around the edges of the SCROG to train the canopy. I have to drop to 3 square, or I can consider 3'x4', in order to have to space for me to move around and get my paws on the canopy.

At the risk of overthinking ( :kidding:) I'll probably get look for some high yield genetics as well. Too fuckin bad I blow at cloning and neither of the cuttings I took from my Kush rooted. That Kush is still short, bushy, and its flowers are much larger than the rest of the plants, much more like I expected all the plants would turn out.

14. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Week 6 of Flower Pics

Today is completion of week 6 of flowering.

Group shot in grow space

[​IMG]

One of the JBs in the back corner

[​IMG]

This JB was a late bloomer :roffl: It lagged behind for the first several weeks, but now is forming very dense, compact buds. I gotta say, considering both beauty, nug density / size, and suspected quality, this plant is probably going to take the cake of the whole crop. Second only to the Kush, and only with respect to yield.

Top down shot

[​IMG]

Same JB closeup

[​IMG]

Same JB, another closeup

[​IMG]

Few shots of the Kush in there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These last few are the same JB I submitted for the Feb calendar. The calendar pic was taken about three weeks ago. Here's one from three weeks ago for comparison

[​IMG]

And now some that I just took tonight of the same plant

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know at least one of those last few are repeats of the same bud on the same plant. Sorry. Still experimenting with the camera settings and lighting options.

And just FYI, none of those buds are incredibly big. The buds on the Kush will probably come out to the size of a soda can, all the JBs' buds are smaller. But who knows what'll happen.

I just gave em all a slight under canopy trim, taking off the popcorn buds. I know it's a bit late in the cycle for that, but I just hadn't had the inspiration to really get in there and do work lately.

They're dry as hell. Water is sitting out overnight. Let's see what some undergrowth trim and nice, refreshing drink of water can accomplish!

LionLoves420 and rasganjah like this.
  15. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Beautiful pictures of the jackberry. I just popped some seeds this weekend. Got 4 popped. Looking good. :bravo:

16. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Yeah dude. Truly superior pics.

:passsit:

17. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Those pics are all stunning. :flipando: She's a photogenic girl. Excellent. :bravo:

18. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Nice work OG, you're in the home stretch now :thumbsup:. Great camera work too.

19. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

The breeders should get this pic. Put it up as the representative photo of the strain. I can't get over the beauty of this pic. Perfect.

[​IMG]

20. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

word, that is one of the prettiest buds I've ever seen. Ras has got the right of it, they'd sell even more packs of JB if that was the rep pic