Panda film or Mylar?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by ducrider, Oct 25, 2011.

1. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

The walls of my grow space are just painted drywall. I'd like to improve light penetration by covering the walls with either Mylar or Panda film. Is one really any better than the other?

2. choker

choker HIDING OUT

Just paint it with flat white if ya can. Works great and dont have to fight with hanging it. Fan blowing it around. Falling down and shit.

3. dlr42

dlr42 King of GrowKind

Agreed. Faster, cheaper, works just as well.

Peace....

4. teachmethewayyy

teachmethewayyy DUBS AND NUGS!!!! VW4LIFE

Cheaper to paint it white, yes. Faster, doubt it. White paint works just fine, but I find it hard to believe that it's better than mylar. Look at the difference in Smarmy's room with the lights on before and after he hung his mylar. It's a night and day difference. I say if you got the extra cash go for it, but it is not a necessity. There are more important things you could spend your money on in your grow room than mylar, but it definitely help lower buds get light.

http://forum.growkind.com/showthread.php?t=29260&page=10

^Look at that and now tell me there is no difference......I will remove the link Smarmy if you would like.

5. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

It's around a 15% difference in reflectivity between mylar and flat white paint. I've used mylar, panda film and paint. Give me paint or panda any day.

6. teachmethewayyy

7. ResinRubber

People dislike mylar because it's difficult to work with. People put up with mylar because it's light reflectivity is 90-95%. Panda is 85-90% and paint is 80-85%. The % reflectivity of all 3 can be found online with some digging.

8. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

Mylar Blows

9. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

I disagree with that, love my mylar and it's portable. Just don't buy the cheap shit and it lasts for years. Can take it down and put it up where ever and it won't rip when pull off tape

10. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

I personally couldnt be bothered with mylar. Propa fook on!

11. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

I used mylar initially. All things considered, paint (unless building a room with panda walls) is the best way to go, IMO.

12. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

I like panda film cause its cheap, and it saves ya from ruining your rug, in case you ever need to get rid of a body

13. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

That's what a body bag's for! Have one in the trunk at all times :thumbs-up:

14. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

sure, who doesn't have a body bag or two laying around these days? I guess that works if you're only planning on using one every once in a while, but panda film is much cheaper if you are "ambitious"...just sayin

15. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

It's good to know that Panda Film has so many uses..:roffl::roffl:

16. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

et

One of the things I've heard about mylar is it needs to be hung completly flat. If not it can create hot spots which would burn the plant. I currently rock white paint but am looking into the new ORCA film. Heard its 99% diffuse light which mylar doesn't even come close to. The Orca is also 95% reflective, 11mils thick, and won't show a thermal signature. Expensive though.

17. ResinRubber

Was looking at that the other day. Had no idea it was that effective. Bout twice the cost of Panda right?

18. teachmethewayyy

ORCA film sounds awesome, just looked at the site. I may have to pick it up when i build my new room around May. Looks promising....

19. Bigbud214

RR

the orca has luminescent fibers I believe. Its at least twice pandas cost. If you check the side by sides with mylar it shows how diffuse the light is. Its crazy how it works.

Teach

I really think I'm gonna try it. I have asmall space

20. Bigbud214

Ok the orca is about $45 for a 54"x25' roll. Not cheap at all