Pure Luck or Hermie Seeds?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by HerLoss, Jan 17, 2007.

1. HerLoss

HerLoss Germinated

Some quick background:
    Started out with three healthy plants which suffered some major overwatering issues just before I intended to flower them. Only one survived. I popped three more seeds into new pots. One died shortly after sprouting under odd conditions. I started flowering when the seedlings had been above ground for a week and a half and two weeks on new years. (there was a bit of a pause where I thought one wasn't going to sprout).

Now, the original survivor has been showing pistils since about half a week to a week into 12/12, and both the new seedlings are now showing pistils today (just over two weeks into 12/12). Am I just very lucky or are my seeds likely from a hermie plant? (they're bagseed).

When do balls start appearing if they're going to be hermies?

2. Randy High

Randy High Organic Alumni

Depends on the genetics...

If it a plant with stable genes that express hermaphrodite traits then it could be a week or so after the first female flowers show.

If the genetics are what I call the sneaky kind then there could be expression when the plant feels it's right.

Chances are you will have to keep your eyes open.

I'm crossing my fingers you have some sensi there...

3. HerLoss

HerLoss Germinated

Thanks for the insight.

4. llIndigoll

llIndigoll Medical Grower

Preflowers and quick flowering is not necessarily a sign of hermaphroditism.

What you need to do is avoid the "odd conditions". Photo period irregularities, heat stress, etc can cause a plant to go hermie.

Bag seed is one of the hardest things to predict, partly because you have no idea where the genetics came from. Another factor is the fact that there were seeds in what was grown to be smoke. Growers that grow for smoke--good ones, at least--try to avoid seeds in their female flowers. If you are smoking a breeder's foul-up it is more than likely hermie bud, but I doubt you purchased breeder bud. More likely you have some hermie bud, but that does not mean that it will go hermie no matter what. Your best bet is to keep your 12/12 absolutely on schedule, and ensure that NO LIGHT gets into the garden during the dark cycle.

Good luck.

Randy High likes this.