simple light question

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by ccc, Sep 3, 2007.

1. ccc

ccc Veggy Stage

I had a link to a great lightning guide for indoor growing but i've lost it...

I have a single 150w hps i've used before... you can grow bud with it but it isn't wonderful. so i'm in the market for a 250w or 400w. i dont ever plan on growing more than two plants at a time. i have some cheap online resources for lights... anyone dealt with http://www.e-conolight.com before? they seem pretty fair on prices.

now for my question: i found a 500w quartz tungsten halogen light in my garage. my old man used to use it when he had to work on stuff and needed some lighting. it's on a portable stand. somehow i've obtained it...

this thing throws some serious heat but it's pretty bright! 6800 lumens, 7700 avg max candlepower.

is this light of any use when flowering?

thanks

2. krondikebar

krondikebar In A Cloud Of Kush Smoke

well that light you have there is not going to help you....The amount of lumens it puts out versus the heat it puts out, it would be working against you most likely.....You could get that many lumens from 2 - 65w cfls and some old light sockets from goodwill.....http://www.1000bulbs.com/products.php?cat=65-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents

you could sell that light you have and get cfls....lol

as far as that company goes, ive never ordered supplys from the internet....

there should be someone who knows more on the subject than me, im sure they will cruise through soon.....

3. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

4. hellostupid

hellostupid Stupid Iz. Stupid Duz.

Try your local commercial lighting store....

:punk:

I've alway bought bought from a commercial distributor...they accept cash! You don't need to be a business owner. I paid $110 for a 400w MH last month(bulb&socket included) and I paid $130 for my 400w HPS 5 yrs ago. All I used was the yellow pages...made a price checks....found 'em cheap in less than 15minutes.

:punk:

I got a 70% female to male percentage....and they're already preflowering when I gave 'em only 4hrs of darkness. That was 3 days ago. It's been 5 weeks from sprout...I'm gonna switch 'em to 12/12 tonite. :qbluewacko:

If your gonna only flower 2 plants....You can't go wrong with a 400w HPS...u can get probably at least 3-4 ounces per plant with the Hempy Bucket Method.

:evil4:

5. deadrekkon

deadrekkon Germinated

I am also curious in this subject as well with all the info on using CFL and HPS, ive read that some people use simple flouros for only a certain and short period of time during vegging(correct me if im wrong)...and that it doesnt give off as much heat or power consumption...i mean can this be an alternative if im concerned with my energy bill and/or cant get ahold of CFL right away? And if one were to use it, how close do they need to be to the top of the plant since obviously it doesnt have as great of affect as CFL or HPS?

6. ccc

ccc Veggy Stage

i've vegged with cheap CFL twice before (i'm on my third grow now) and they work well. i've yet to have any amazing amount of bud, i blame my weak HPS.

i think i'm definitely going to look around locally for a light, i really dont like having things delivered to me.

7. snickelfritz

snickelfritz Weed College Hall Monitor

Is this what ur looking for ccc?

[​IMG]