Summer Chillin' or How to Cool your Cab...

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by MeRmAn, Mar 12, 2006.

1. BC Kid

BC Kid Begun Flowering

Of course thank you. Right now I use frozen cooler packs to help cool the air but it doesnt seem to make much of a diff. But I sopose it helps that little bit.

2. qwakhoe

qwakhoe Germinated

cooling lights

from http://www.misterfix-it.com/Solutions/5Air.html

What does a "ton" of air conditioning mean?

When dealers and contractors talk about "tons" of cooling in central air conditioning systems, what do they mean?

The term came into use when engineers developed standards for measuring mechanical cooling capacity. At that time, ice was commonly used for cooling. Engineer Joe Cool decided that cooling capacity measurements should relate to ice melting.

The standard was set equating one "ton" of cooling to the amount of energy needed to melt one ton (2000 lbs.) of ice over a 24-hour period.

For the technically competent, the exact figure for one ton of cooling is 12,000 Btu per hour. (Btu stands for British thermal unit, a measurement of heat or energy.) When ice changes from solid to liquid, the change of phase requires 144 Btu per pound or 288,000 Btu per 2,000 lbs. When melted in 24 hours, the 288,000 is divided by 24 hours and equals 12,000 Btu per hour.

from http://oregonstate.edu/dept/NWREC/tomatogh.html

Since each 1000-watt fixture gives off about 3750 BTU per hour, fuel savings would also be realized during the time the lights were operating. Growers must carefully evaluate supplemental lighting and test its efficacy under their conditions.

For every 1000w of light, you need 3750 BTU per hour of cooling, or 1/3 ton.

If you want to cool a 1000w light with ice, you would need to use 650 pounds of ice per day to do it.

If you run 3 1000w bulbs, you would need to use 2,000 pounds of ice per day to cool them.

(or you could use a 12,000btu air conditioner for those same 3 lights)

so, if you are trying to cool your space using ice and it isn't working, you now know why.

qwak

3. qwakhoe

qwakhoe Germinated

refrigerator component experiment:

Refrigerator compressors and components are very low output. (less than 60btu per hour) you would need to string together around 6 or seven of these things to cool on 100w bulb.

also, you would need to use around 65 pounds of ice per day (10 gallons) to cool a 100w bulb.

god damn, i am becoming a freakin cooling guru.

qwak

4. MeRmAn

MeRmAn New Sprout

Right on with the info. qwak. I got the mini-frige the other day for $10.00 at Goodwill.

My idea is blow air across or through the cooling component to bring cool air through the cab; not so much to cool the lamp or make the cab into a refrige. It will get over 100F around my place this summer and my whole setup is vented with 'outside air'.

5. qwakhoe

qwakhoe Germinated

Good Luck

Good Luck Mer, but you will not get the temperature to drop more than one degree, provided you are even successful at disassembling the fridge and getting the components in the right place. use an air conditioner bro. you can get a window air conditioner for less than a hundred bucks. I use a split AC, and it works. everything else is a waste of time.

Qwakhoe

Holdin it down on da reality tip ya'll

6. Sickness

Sickness Veggy Stage

You could always keep the fridge in tact and try running your intake through it so it pulls the cold air from inside the fridge into the box.

Or you could do something like this guy did.

http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~gmilburn/ac/

7. agrowguy

agrowguy Excommunicated

you got one thing right!

why are you afraid to speak in BTU's and instead speak in fuckin terms of tonnage? Makes no sense in refridgeration units.

I bought a $130 GE Remote Controlled A/C unit at wally world for a 12' x 14' space @ 1 x 400 HPS 1 x 400 MH and its plenty even @ both lights running, mid july, 90 degrees +

Who the fuck is talking about beer refridgerators and shit? god damn you said it twice yourself. you dont know shit. stick to the topic.

8. Sickness

Sickness Veggy Stage

-grabs ear lobes- WOOOOOOOOOOOOSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

9. Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky Hurricane wrestler.......

This is not gonna work man for a number of reasons.

First those coils are designed for use in a small enclosed space.

Second the compressor and condensor will be running 24/7 which will burn it out sooner or later

100 degree temps are a royal P.I.T.A. I am guessing you are set up in a shed or garage and cant use the house A/C

If I were you I would buy a length of PVC pipe the same size as your intake and bury most of it.

Leave both ends open and hook your intake to one end.

This is not perfect but it would have a bigger impact than any crap with a mini fridge.

What ever you decide let us know how it works!!

Good luck dude.

MAD MAX

[​IMG]

10. qwakhoe

qwakhoe Germinated

lol burying PVC pipe... what, you live in Africa?

BURY PVC PIPE IN THE GROUND TO GET COOL AIR!!!

Do you make your lighting system yourself?

lol this is too funny..... what... do you live in somalia? or north korea? WTF!!!

Why are you trying to INVENT a way to cool down a room/cabinet???

Dude, air conditioners have been around for decades.

There is no need to try and build your own... you can buy them already made.

GET ONE.

that's it... you're done... no more questions... no more experimental BS... no more worrying about it.... no more ventilation probs.... no more temperature problems.... no more half cocked attempts to do something ingenious... no more cabon filters... no more squirell fans.... no more duct work.... no more stink outside your grow space... no more reading about crack-pot ideas on the internet.... that's it... you're done.... it's over.

it's over.

11. Max Rockatansky

I am not inventing anything, running air through a pipe in the ground was used by the Romans 2000 years ago for a primative "A/C"

As far as buying a window A/C or room A/C, I wont do it because I dont want to spend the cash on the unit or the electricity to run it.

I use the pipe trick to extend my growing season a little bit longer without A/C, thats all.

So...qwakhoe you have been here 12 days and know everything already?? WOW what a speed reader.

Anyways Its doesnt matter it was clear to me that he did not want to buy A/C, and I gave him another way to do it.

Disagree if you must but dont put soemthing down because you dont like it. You are not important to other people.

MAD MAX

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Sickness

Sickness Veggy Stage

I agree kinda.

Stop flaming.

13. greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny Excommunicated

heeeeeeheeeeeheeee @ goblin I knew agro would dial ya in:D

I love this place.

14. MeRmAn

MeRmAn New Sprout

Wish you guys would stop ripping on each other....what's the point?

The refrige was a freakin' disaster! I had a great time trying to get it all apart, but it had all kinds of one-way fasteners; the whole thing was just too flimsy to work with...

Part of greenthumbing for me is wrenching around in the shop, using the ol' melon to come up with new ideas... I get it that an A/C unit would work, but where's the fun in that? DIY!!! I'm on my third version of my hydro setup and it gets better every time!

Just thought I'd see if I can get this thread back on track:

Review: My Cab is a C24 (not inside the house) and for those who don't know....."C" = Cabinet or Cubic or whatever. An easy way to post the cubic feet of a grow space. This applies mostly small cabs or closets; not so much for bigger rooms. So, my set is 2'Wx3'Dx4'H or C24.... There used to be a lot of this stuff on O.G....

My hydro unit fills up the entire floor space and then plants fill the whole thing, so there's no room to put an A/C unit in there. It's gonna get hot in there this summer even with optimum ventilation. What to do?

1. A/C unit mounted in side of cab? So only the faceplate is in the cab?

2. Cool the intake air somehow?

3. Get some CFL's for the summer and hibernate the 400W?

4. ?__[your answer here]___? this is the one you get to fill in with brilliant ideas and concepts....

15. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

when that no tallent assclown became famous lol

--why are you afraid to speak in BTU's and instead speak in fuckin terms of tonnage?--

im not affraid to speak in btu's, im just lazy. see when i have a choice between typing "12,000 btu's per hour" or "1 ton" i dunno i guess i just dont wanna stress my wacking hand :eek:

--Makes no sense in refridgeration units.--

thats refrigeration..

makes no sense to you...proly cause ur not a refrigeration mechanic like i am. but then again maybe u are and for what ever reason u just never picked up on that whole btu:tons thing in trade school.

completely understandable.

oh and im pretty sure the guy that started this thread brought up the beer cooler idea, and im pretty sure its his perogative were his threads conversation leads, unless im mistaken...

did u get promoted to thread director?

i must have missed that memo.

i think most peeps here would really like to see some helpful info from u in this thread being that u seem to think u know more than everyone else about the subject, so go right ahead

we're all waiting in anticipation for ur dissertation ;)

---------------------------

personally merman id go with option number 1. or id put it in a room thats air conditioned.

not really sure what all u got goin on there but if ur hoods air cooled id duct that outide and run ur box air intake to the airconditioned space and exhaust to the same space, that way most of the heat is goin outside directly rather than through an ac unit.

Happy growin'

16. greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny Excommunicated

Crap. I wish I knew what you guys are talking about. :D

17. Max Rockatansky

Did ya read my post??

Any questions??

If ya dont want to buy A/C ya havn't got much choice...

MAD MAX

[​IMG]

18. bongpig

bongpig Veggy Stage

When i had the grow setup in the back shed I built 2 cabinets, 1 for the plants and the other for the a/c.

I had it setup so the a/c cooled the 1st box by itself, then a fan sucked the cold air out of the 1st box, into the 2nd box (grow cabinet) through the air cooled shade and blew the hot air back into the 1st box. it worked for 1 crop, then i moved inside

my 2 cents

19. qwakhoe

qwakhoe Germinated

only 12 days old

Please pardon the fact i have only been on this website with this screen name for only 12 days.

If you want to build your own lawn mower, go for it.

If you want to build your own living room furniture, that's great.

If you want to build your own air conditioner out of a 12" fan and a bucket of frozen fish, that's fantastic.

Just seems fucking stupid when they sell all that shit at target, walmart, and online, and it's already made when you get it.

Maybe you wouldn't have so much time to fuck around with so much bullshit if you had a job?

20. SgtSmokinSensi

SgtSmokinSensi Begun Flowering

oh shut the fuck up qwakhoe...

who the fuck are you to judge anyone? get a job?

who the hell are you?!!!

if he wants to fool around and build a fucking airconditioner with a fucking slice of pizza, he can, and you cant do shit about it.

grow the fuck up and stop flaming people unless you are going to give some reasonable information.

fucking idiots... :rolleyes: