Herb's 2019 indoor grow

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by Herb, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Well....now that summer is over and the outdoor grow is done, I'm dropping back on my indoor setup and getting it ready for this next season starting Jan 1st. I needed to improve on things so I made a false front for the grow space using an old blackout curtain. Makes taking the front panel off really easy since it's so light. All I have left to do now is get my air intake setup installed. That requires a trip to the hardware store for parts I don't have on hand. The rest I built from scrap I had laying around.

GrowSpaceBuild 002.jpg

GrowSpaceBuild 003.jpg

GrowSpaceBuild 005.jpg

GrowSpaceBuild 006.jpg

GrowSpaceBuild 012.jpg

GrowSpaceBuild 011.jpg

2. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Had a bit of an issue with parts since the ONLY hardware store in town carries very little if anything of what I need...generally. In the end I prevailed except I had one friggin part that didn't match. Had to make due. When they re-stock I'll get the right part and fix it.

Other than that I'm pretty happy. I used scrap just laying around the house to do the build so other than PVC parts I had zero $$$ invested in the upgrade. Tonight I will go inside the grow-space and have my wife close me in to test the intake. I was shooting for a LOT of turbulence down at the mid-container level so we'll see how it does. I didn't glue anything so all elbows can be turned to suit my needs.

IndoorGrowSpace12 10 18 001.jpg

IndoorGrowSpace12 10 18 002.jpg

IndoorGrowSpace12 10 18 006.jpg

IndoorGrowSpace12 10 18 003.jpg

IndoorGrowSpace12 10 18 010.jpg

IndoorGrowSpace12 10 18.jpg

3. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Killer set up going on there

Herb likes this.
  4. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Thank you sir....it's small but suffices my needs. Just got my beans sprouted today and in the soil. It.........begins. :animbong:

blazerwill420 likes this.
  5. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Last year when I first started growing in this setup I was in a hurry and used 3 gallon pots for the plants since they fit well and I wasn't planning on growing the plants for very long. Those 3 gallon pots worked 'ok' but did prove to be a bit lacking in medium towards the end. I've gone on the rule of no less than 5 gallon buckets for my plants indoors and I wanted to get back to that since the plants will be vegging longer this time around. Problem was that 5 - 5 gallon buckets did not fit in the footprint of the shower pan. So a quick and easy solution was to cut a couple boards to span the shower pan on it's upper lip and there ya have it....perfect fit! All the babies have cracked soil and are beginning their new life under the artificial sun. :sun:

2019Grow010619 002.jpg

2019Grow010619 004.jpg

2019Grow010619 006.jpg

6. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Here we go. All the babies have broken the soil. This round I have:

Sweet Soma
    Chocolate Cream
    Gorilla Bomb
    Hashchis
    OG Kush

Again these are feminized beans. Should be interesting to see what traits these phenos will show. Hoping for some good ones. I left the AK Widow47 out of the lineup this time since I wasn't too impressed with the smoke and I wanted to try the OG Kush instead. The OG Kush was a freebie with my bean order. We shall see how good their free beans are.

2019Grow010719 004.jpg

Max Rockatansky likes this.
  7. Justcheckingitout

5 gal buckets are nice for huge hauls and great popcorn for hash and personal goodies. :affro:

ducrider likes this.
  8. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Just got my buckets prepped and loaded with a soil mix of my own today. Forgot how much I LOVE mixing soil...no...not really. Soon as these little girls get too big for these quart pots they will go directly into their 5 gallon buckets for the duration. I got 5 for 5 last round with these fem beans....wonder if I get that lucky again.

2019Grow012219 001.jpg

2019Grow012219 002.jpg

2019Grow012219 003.jpg

9. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

Fem beans scare me, no thanks, but good luck.

10. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

I’m looking forward to watching this grow Herb!

11. Justcheckingitout

Yeah, nothing like a rooster sneaking in the hen house and grunge fucking all the chickens:affro:

Herb and blazerwill420 like this.
  12. Justcheckingitout

I love the little veg box, whats all the pvc parts for? You going to set up some rdwc totes/buckets?

13. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

With quality Fem seeds it’s really no different than looking for a male in regular seeds. Just my opinion.

Herb likes this.
  14. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

LMAO! True that!

Those pipes are my passive air intake Check.

Pretty much yeah. My op is so small it's not really an issue for me. If I get a hermy then I'll remove it. That Gorilla Bomb hermied indoors but didn't outdoors, so it can be a fine line I guess depending on triggers and strain. Even the indoor issue with the GB wasn't too bad as I just pulled nanners off as they popped up. Haven't found any beans in my harvest yet.

15. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Thanks man. Had some toxicity issues here this past week. Not sure if it was my soil mix or what. Kinda threw some soil together to get the beans in quick without really planning it out....my bad. So today I pulled them out of the quart pots and shook all the soil off the roots gently and planted them into their new 5 gallon pots and watered them in. We shall see what happens. Sometimes ya get thrown a curve ball...keeps ya on your toes. This soil mix was much better thought out and mixed ahead of time.

2019Grow012819 002.jpg

2019Grow012819 003.jpg

ducrider likes this.
  16. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Personally I'd skip the 5 gal buckets unless he's going to veg them for a really long time. Even then the soil will most likely be depleted by week 2-3 of flower assuming a basic organic mix. I'm always temped to skip vegging in 1 gal pots and go straight to 3 gal from clone but I get skeered about messing up a round.

Tuned into this one for sure!

Herb likes this.
  17. Justcheckingitout

That soil looks like its got alot of shit in it....lol

Herb and Max Rockatansky like this.
  18. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

I run a compost mix of my own making Ducrider. Loads of good 'shit' in that soil as Check pointed out. I've been building my own soil for my veggy garden for countless years now and find it far superior to anything I was buying in bags. Last round I was in the 3 gallon pots and it was just not enough....5 gallon pots should do pretty good. I'm growing fem beans from seed so I do need a bit more veg time. Clones are a whole different ball game and in that case you are correct...no need for 5 gallon because most likely they would go to flower after a couple weeks of veg. I'll let them do their thing in the compost and feed if needed.....it's really that good.

Speaking of that magical mix.....check the babies out now. Doing much much better. They took to the transplant very well and sprung right back into action. Getting better color by the day. I have yet to give them a watering other than the initial watering in I gave them at transplant. The soil mix was pretty damp to begin with so I left them alone to put roots out. I'm thinking about just leaving these to grow naturally instead of topping and training. We'll see how it goes. I just want an easy round this time....no hassles.

2019Grow020619 002.jpg

19. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

One thing I forgot to mention is that I left enough room at the top of the pots to add a top dressing of compost when I switch to flower. I like to prune before going into 12/12 so there should be plenty of room between the lowest branches and the top of the soil. That will help give them that extra boost they will need when that times comes.

20. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Not much to report this week. Gave a light watering...the first and only so far. Plants have put roots down and vegging nicely.

2019Grow021119 001.jpg