1 TREE...2k...RDWC...5lb???

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by CCrete, Jun 18, 2010.

1. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

That analogy doesn't work because the a bulb with a reflector is not being shaded. You still get the unshaded light from the front part of the bare bulb. The light on the opposite side of light is being reflected back to the plant if you use a reflector. The fact that light from the un-reflected bulb is going into all the nooks and crannies shows that it is not getting to the plants. It is being used to light up the walls which are not as efficient at getting the light onto the plants as a reflector.

2. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Did you try it tho?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. AlienBait

That picture does not describe the setup I'm talking about.

Like this (top view):

( and ) = reflector

X = light

0 = plant

(X0X0X)

I'm saying put the reflector on the lights at the beginning and end of the line. Hang the light and the reflector vertically. Without a reflector on the ends, you even say yourself, only 25% of the light from the bulb is hitting the plant, whereas with a reflector, you are getting 60% (using your numbers)

4. CCrete

Like i said above, its still in a hood, radiating heat and absorbing lumens and intensity, thats a pure fact that even Hydrofarm admits when using reflectors....you flat out lose some of the high quality of the bulbs when using hoods and why would you bother WANTing only 25-60 or even 89% of your lights intensity when you CAN get 90-100% of it?

But i wouldnt see why your idea wont work great if thats what you wunna try out, do it up man.....I see what your getting at but why not max your light and lumens? why shortchange yourself/plants?

5. AlienBait

LOL, I think we are talking around each other. I agree that a reflector will absorb some light, but at least it will reflect some on the side where there is no plant. The light that is going out on the side where there is no plant is being completely wasted. At least with a reflector there, you will get some of that back onto the plants.

Unfortunaly, I don't have the space to put more than one light. I only have a 2.5' x 3' growing area and I cannot start a normal grow until August. However, when I do my grow, I will hang the bulb-reflector combination vertically. I would have to rotate my plant every day, though.

Anyway, looking forward to your grow. :popcorn-2:

6. CCrete

for sure your idea will work....i think the thoughts are endless on the how to...get a rotisserie for em, lol

7. AlienBait

Actually, that might work! I'm sure I can put something together.

8. stickyicky24

stickyicky24 Cured Fat Sticky Bud

What's crazy about these vert setups is that you don't need to go balls to the wall with 4 or 5 lights surrounding mad plants. I've seen dudes just running one 400 watter in a small cab like I run with a stadium setup. They just surround the bulb and trim away all the growth on the backside not receiving light. Alot of people weave them through screens so you literally have a wall of budsites and nugs everywhere. I'm a slacker since I've almost gone to this method 3 times now and just didn't follow through. I bought a 30" cool tube just for this purpose so I could run a MH on one end of the tube and an HPS on the other. You can pull 1g/w easy. Just be sure your bulbs are rated to be run vertically, as some can only be operated horizontally. They mark it on the box.

9. nobogart

nobogart Cured Fat Sticky Bud

been there done that.................i like my hoods depending on room size in a small room say 4x4 no reflector but in a larger room a hood becomes needed to focus the footprint of the light.

the proof is in the pudding...... or in this case the buddage pulled down.

i guess it`s a question of, is you`re light in a box already or not. LOL

as for hanging some bulbs down for supplemental side lighting great.

i think the hood thing comes down to room size on if it is helpful or hurtful.

10. CCrete

I disagree to a point

The proof in the pudding is the Medi Professional growers out there that are doing it "factory" style by hanging their vertical lighting.....a hood merely floods a specified area, whereas a bare bulb floods the entire area, if you overlap your lights in a pattern, your lights intensity is total from edge to edge, where a hood is only a footprint

Now ofcourse in a 1 light application or depending on your room design, it will make sense...

Are you saying that you could pull the same weight in a 3-4k room with hooded lights and do the same in a vertical bulb room? Remember its all bout watts per sq ft when you go to a larger room size

11. stickyicky24

stickyicky24 Cured Fat Sticky Bud

No offense man, but I'm not sure where your getting that proof from. Go over to IC and take a look in there vert section. I've never seen anyone with a horizontal setup yield as much with the same wattage as some of those guys do with vert setups. And I've looked. I think the problem is when people switch from horizontal they aren't doing things properly with the vert (like positioning of the bulbs, distance away, and the way the plants are trained). I look at it this way......if you have an area that has a 4x4 footprint that is the max amount of budsites you are going to squeeze out of that setup. If you run that same space vert, you can have 4 walls of 4' tall plants with nugs from top to bottom. So picture your canopy across the top times 4 along all the walls. And I'm not even talking about making a huge room with numerous bulbs. I'm saying 1 bulb, same amount of plants.

CCrete likes this.
  12. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

this is gettin good now!:popcorn-2: :passsit: :popcorn-2:

13. CCrete

Awesome to the point examples, good eyes

14. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

OK lemme throw a monkey wrench in your brain gears fellas.

You can't argue crop yield based solely on watts used.

You need to look at total room efficiency.

You need to factor in

Total Power Used for the crop/Time

Let's look at a couple different systems..

First a small tree room with 10 plants and 10 kw

ex. - You veg for 2 months using 10kw at 18/6. You flower using 10kw for 12/12. So

10kw x 18 hrs = 180 kwh per day

180 kwh x 60 days = 10800kwh/veg cycle

+

10kw x 12hrs. = 120 kwh per day

120 kwh x 60 days = 7200 kwh/flower cycle

veg cycle kwh + flower cycle kwh = 18000 kwh per crop cycle

Say you yield 2 lbs off each plant. That's 20 lbs. over 120 days using 18,000kwh.

Now, do the same with a SOG set up.

10 - 4'x4' EnF tables we'll say 36 plants per table.

Since I am doing SOG, and 36 per table, veg time is 10 days.

So -

10kw x 18 hrs = 180 kwh per day

180kwh x 10 days = 1800kwh/veg cycle

+

10kw x 12 hrs = 120kwh per day

120 kwh x 60 days = 7200 kwh

veg cycle + flower cycle = 9000 kwh/crop cycle

Say you yield a scant 1lb per table. That's 10 lbs over 70 days using 9,000kwh.

Now the SOG can do 2 crops in almost the same time as the trees using the same amount of power.

A few things to note -

The SOG table can add more plants and eliminate veg time, producing two crops in the same time trees do one crop. However, the efficiency is much better, because the SOG system would only use 14,400kwh to produce those two crops.

Also, if you are only getting 1 lb from 1 kw over a 4x4 EnF table, you are doing something wrong. 1.5 lbs even from a piss poor yielder like OG Kush is normal. 2 lbs+ is obtainable by experienced growers. This means the tree system has to yield 4 lbs. per plant per crop to keep up.

The above can also be said for trees, but to a lesser extent. Some strains may not require a full 60 days of veg., improving the overall efficiency of the system.

Another thing to note, is I did not address the additional equipment each system requires. It all has to be factored into your efficiency calculations.

IME a proper SOG will be more efficient and yield more over the course of a year than a proper tree grow. However, to get these kinds of weight at harvest, you have to have large numbers of plants, and that is the benefit of the tree system. You get the weight, without the large plant count.

15. nobogart

yup now with that card i cant be caught with too many plants so i gotta grow bigger plants being limited to 12 plants and all.

16. nobogart

none taken- but i am not those other people, and i do not know what other skills they may have, i am only speaking from my own experience.

i tried it in a 4 x 4 closet with a single 1k back to back crops of the same strain and it made no difference except the room ran hotter because i could not evacuate the heat as well. maybe in that small a space was the problem.

17. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Alot of helpfull info man thx alot!

18. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

nice break down useless i knew we kept u around for something :roffl: ...DSP

19. AlienBait

Yeah, but really big trees are cool. :thumbs-up:

20. CCrete

BIG BAGS are even cooler:thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :roffl: