another flowering question

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by chato420, May 26, 2004.

1. chato420

chato420 Begun Flowering

Can my plants flower well by me bringing them from the inside 24/7 light and then moving them out into the sun for a 8/16 cycle then back into the house? The room where i will put them back in is completely dark.

2. Growannabe

Growannabe Begun Flowering

yes... why 8/16[​IMG] hmmm

3. chato420

chato420 Begun Flowering

well what method will be better 12/12 or will 18/6 give me pretty much the same result?

4. chato420

chato420 Begun Flowering

i meant 8/16 in the last reply

5. Big E

Big E Latae Sententiae Excommunication

18/6 Dude:biggrin:

6. rangerdanger

rangerdanger ***Rest in Peace***

Not a good idea.

To achieve flowering (12/12 btw) you'd have to take them in and bring them out at the same time every day for 2 months.

If you're early or late you run the risk of turning your plants into hermaphrodites, if you miss 1 day you have to start all over again.

7. chato420

chato420 Begun Flowering

bringing them out and taking them back in at the same time for 2 months is no problem. so besides that is there anything else that would f*ck things up?

8. rangerdanger

Why not let nature take it's course?

Either leave them inside and set the timer to 12/12 or leave them outside to finish in Oct?

(Edited by rangerdanger at 10:18 pm on May 26, 2004)

9. Growannabe

ranger i would appreciate it if you would think b4 openin your yap!.... ONE day of not bringing them plants in is NOT going to ruin the entire timetable NOR is it going to produce an hermaphrodite!!! Get your **** together b4 you start tellin these newbs how to grow!!!

(Edited by Growannabe at 11:08 pm on May 26, 2004)

10. Sly

Sly Begun Flowering

idiot! ranger is right! a messed up day/night cycle can turn a plant inot a hermie!! WHY YOU ALWAYS TRYING TO START ****??? huh u albanian?

11. rangerdanger

gw, you don't understand plant biology like I do.

I could explain it to you but I doubt if you would be able to grasp it.

But I will tell you not maintaing a STRICT lighting schedule CAN produce hermaphrodites and missing ever a single day of dark cycle WILL cause the plant to revert to vegging.

12. Hicountry2

Hicountry2 Cured Fat Sticky Bud

hey ranger, not wanting to start a "pissin" match here, BUT...not too long ago I recall a post from you stating you can flower right through June into July and harvest buds on July 4th.

June has waaay more than 12 hrs of daylight everyday. Now here you say a single schedule slipup will "revert to vegetation"...

Which is it [​IMG]

13. rangerdanger

HiC, what I said was that if a plant is raised under lots of HPS or MH light on a 24/0 schedule indoors, and then put outside in the spring, when light length are LESS or at 12 hours sunlight, 60% of the time the plant will continue to flower.

The downside of doing that is some of the plants will go from vegging to flowering (due the cut in light lengths) and then revert back to veg when it 'realizes' that the days are getting longer. This switching back from veg to flowering to veg retards the plants' growth, resulting in an overall loss of yield in the plants that don't continue to bud out in the spting. Which is why I don't recommend people do it unless they have a lot of plants.

Plants contain auxins, which regulate growth and flowering. In annuals (like MJ), the flowering hormone levels are kept at low levels by dark/nighttime lengths of less than 11 hours or so.

When the nights get longer and last up to 11 or 12 hours (late summer approaching fall) the auxins build up and induce flowering.

So if someone is maintaing a 12/12 cycle, and the plant recieves a full dose of summertime light, the extra light will retard the auxins and the plant will revert to veg.

Which is why, when growing inside, the rule is to NEVER interrupt the 12-hours dark cycle.

Note: when raising plants under 24/0 light with the intention of putting them outside in the spring and trying to get them to bud, it helps if you plant them against something like a east or west-facing wall, or on a hillside that faces east or west.

And, when raising plants inside to put outside in the spring for a normal, much larger harvest in the fall, the plants should be raised under 16/8 light cycles, and planted in an area that gets full sunlight.

Hope I've cleared up any confusion.

14. Hicountry2

Hope I've cleared up any confusion.

...to some degree.I disagreed with your "flowering in June" info, it struck me as total BS. I've tried the spring flowering thing a few ti,es, it was a miserable failure each time. They went back to vegging every time, then you get the leafy tiny fall buds. Hundreds of 'em but not typical OD nuggets. I even attempted putting them out in early March under a makeshift GH and they reverted. Always coming from under 24/0 lights.

Now, this year, I have a strain that seems to be flowering under OD conditions presently. These were taken from a mother that was 10 days or so into flower indoors, raised on 16/8 in prep for the move OD. They've been out for approximatly a month. Now if they continue to flower, remains to be seen. But, I have to retract a statement that I made in an earlier post, "I know the answer"...in refference to June flowering. I don't. I do feel it is, somewhat, strain dependant though.
    I understand hormone, auxins, cytokins(sp),ect.. somewhat. That is I've read a considerable amount, and profes to understand ;) . I know , that OD, diminishing light slowly causes a hormonal buildup, which in turn triggers the flowering process, which 'usually' happens before a 12 hour dark period is achieved.
    I also agree that a stricked dark period is a requirement...to avoid hermies. I don't believe, however, that a single lighting flucuation/incident "resets that clock to zero"...it surely isn't a 'good' practice, and it is certainly, somewhat, strain dependant, as well as other environmental factors that could stress them. "IMHO" ;)
    A while back, I had some bubblegum that hermied everytime I tried it OD. Never had 1 ID, but 3 seasons OD, late September would reveal male flowers on them. The fella I "aquired" the seed from, thought it was prolly light poisoning....from the full moons [​IMG] He claimed BG to be Indoor only bred. I can't say for sure, and I've done away with the line.
    One of the things that keeps this hobby interesting isn't it?

15. llIndigoll

llIndigoll Medical Grower

Photo period irregularities affect different strains differently at different times in the life cycles of different flowering MJ plants. There is no single truth about why nature does anything.

That said, it is my experience that after 3 weeks of flowering any slight variations in the 12/12 photo period can cause hermaphroditism. I have seen this happen in plants from seed, clones, clones of clones, and seed-bourne varieties. I have read about and seen plants go hermie with as little as 15 minute interruptions -- indoor and outdoor.

16. Growannabe

Ranger, you may know **** about biology, and i know what I know....you know? and if you dont have the brains to communicate that **** so that we can BOTH benefit from being on this site than that is MY loss.....i dont LIKE do lose :)LOL:) so maybe if you could scramble the words together i would take time to read your posts (which at this point arent HELPING at all....)

anyway.... in my opinion, a strain that is affected by one measely fkup is considered a **** strain and should be dropped! as for it starting the clock to zero i REALly doubt that this is of ANY biological knowledge

like indy said

"There is no single truth about why nature does anything. "

i do believe that putting plants out on june 21 (equinox) that they will flower and in august you will have a bountiful crop! (this however being strain dependent and is not the most commonly found practice) i can be certain for i have had many succeful crops of tomatoes and peppers using this method ;) ;)

17. rangerdanger

Ok, I can provide the water I can't make you drink it.

Go ahead and do it your way.

18. Hicountry2

G'wannabe,

i do believe that putting plants out on june 21 (equinox) that they will flower and in august you will have a bountiful crop!

are you talking going OD on 6/21 straight from 24/0 lights?

...for an early harvest ?..they will begin flowering immeadiatelly, thus finishing early ?...THAT sounds interesting enough to try.

19. rangerdanger

June 21 is not the equinox, it's the summer solstice.

Seems you know as much about the seasons as you know about MJ cultivation.

(Edited by rangerdanger at 8:32 pm on May 28, 2004)

20. chato420

chato420 Begun Flowering