bean testing question

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by nippie, Nov 16, 2014.

1. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Whats the easiest way to test beans from a cross?

Given space limitations how would one test 25 or so plants per run...the more the better but its not like you can pop something and flower two weeks later and know the plant

2. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

You need to Veg long enough to get a cutting from each plant then put them into flower. Keep the clones from the budded parents that you like the best.

3. nippie

if I'm running 50 beans or so do you think it's safe to say ditch 1 week runts etc.

was thinking maybe doing 25 or so a couple weeks apart.

Killing runts after weeks 1 and 2, then checking for males and hopefully narrowing down the field even further.

Anyone got any tips throw them out there. Just figured I would get my feet wet in this area because I always like to learn new things

I know sometimes a runt turns into something great, but more I'm looking for maybe one or two to keep, basically just trying to change a couple of traits of mom that dad has.

Figured with the vigor of a f1 it should do the trick, BUT with f1 comes variety :roffl: I'm not sure if I can dedicate 2 years to see if I can change a couple traits of one of my favorite daytime smokes....that doesn't mean I'm not going to try.

4. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

i just popped 3 new strains....got 1fem out of 5 beans on one, 3 fems out of 5 then 2 fems out of 5....veggedfor 3 weeks, got 5 clones of each fem, put in cloner, then put under t5 8 bulb.....still have originals I took clones from.....going to flower them out here in about 2 weeks...then I make the decision on who looks best, smells best, potency and finishes fastest....murder the rest!!!!!

Then make a momma plant and do the damn thing over n over n over n over n over n over....:jj:

5. nippie

you think I should do smaller batches?

normally I would do just as you are saying.

this is just an amateur attempt to cross a couple of good strains. My last lemon berry bean was a male and I couldn't just kill him. Don't ask me why, but couldn't, actually still have him. So figured what the hell flowered him for a few, got some pollen, paper bagged it and put it on a branch of blue widow for two days. 8 weeks later some pretty tiger stripped beans

It would be nice to keep the weight of blue widow but decrease the leaf to flower ratio. Plus I figured its gotta taste good right? I'll like both strains for smell and taste.

Who knows, zombie apocalypse could hit tomorrow and we couldn't get beans anymore :roffl: but really just a small test.

Frankly the misses is proud of me, I didn't get a single seed anywhere else on the plant...not even on the same branch's lower buds. Just exactly what I was trying to do.

6. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

that's alotta space to give up for fun...id shrink it down

7. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

It's the reason most of us can't breed, vasectomy.... no wait..different forum.

Um...space or time my friend. Takes one or both. Either months/years of small test runs or a dedicated growspace that can handle running large numbers of plants and maintaining multiples of parents plants.

I ain't got either nor the smarts needed to keep track of it all. Have fun. :redbong:

8. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Good luck buddy.... More than I could handle in my closet.... but does sound like a nice cross... Ill gladly help you test the finished product hee hee