Do you think this will fit?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by OldSmokey, Aug 11, 2016.

1. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

So it's time to get my RO set up. I'm pretty sure that I could get this thing under the sink, but will I be hating myself when it comes time to service it? I won't be needing a pressurized storage tank if this thing works as advertised.

Another option is in the attic in a plastic trash can with a drain line on it, but it's hot and I'd still need to get the lines down from there to under the sink.

ResinRubber likes this.
  2. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Mine just screw to hose fitting so I can hook strait to stationary tub, worst case if you don't like the cabinet, jigsaw the bottom shelf and you'll pick up a few inches.

Good luck, can't wait to see your grow this time

3. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Is that a water filter?

4. OldSmokey

Hadn't thought of going in that direction for extra room, Nippie. Definitely worth a look.

JCIO, that's an RO filter. Supposed to be able to make 1000 gallons a day. Good thing I only need about 20. It was either get a tiny one with a big tank, or a huge one with no tank.

5. OldSmokey

6. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Nice job getting that in there.

7. OldSmokey

Thanks, JCIO. It actually fits easily, but only if I remove the white sump for the pre filter to get it through the door. No biggie if the thing is dry, but I'm still trying to sort out what the procedure will be when it's time to change the membranes and filter. Looks like a small flood in the making.

I'm thinking about using air pressure on the inlet line to blow the water out when that time comes, but I'm not real sure if that's an acceptable way to do it. We'll see what the manufacturer says.

OS

8. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Your ro is a lot different than mine, but filters and membranes don't have to be changed often, filter much more so than membrane.

Nice work, so your tap is ro now? How you filling bucket up?

9. OldSmokey

So far, I'm just at the "fitting it under there" stage. I still need to do some modifying on the plumbing to get a 1/2" OD water line to the unit. My old carbon filter only needed a 1/4" line.

Also, the RO drain line is going to be a pain. There is only room on the sink's drain pipe for one saddle clamp and I'm using that to drain waste water from the cabinet. I'm envisioning 2 saddle clamps, one on each side of the pipe, back to back. Might need a baffle inside the drain pipe to prevent one line from blowing into the other.

The outlet of the RO unit will get plumbed through a valve to my nute tank. On the top of the tank, I've got a plastic quick-disconnect fitting that I can plug a hose into, if I want to fill up a bucket instead.

OS

10. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

OS, if you have the space for it a 50 gal. trash can set on a raised platform would make a great reservoir. without a reservoir on tap I think you'll get tired of waiting for your nutrient tank to fill. I use 10-12 gal of water every 3-5 days sometimes double that when both flower rooms occasionally sync up, then it s 20 gal.. no way I could do that without holding tank.. I set the tank up high enough the boiler valve to clear the top of a 5 gal water jug. Letting gravity do the work a 5 gal jug fills in in about 2 min give or take...

Looks like a clean installation so far tho (insert few red bongs here )

11. OldSmokey

Duc- When I first thought about RO, I had planned to get a small unit and a 40 gallon pressurized tank. The plan was to put the tank in the closet and run a line back to the area under the sink. After looking at the size of the tank and the amount of room it would eat up, I decided I'd give this a try. I really like the idea of being able to turn off the water to RO unit when I'm not around.

I use about 22 gallons a week, but there will be times I'll need about 22 gallons in a day. My old sediment and carbon filter flowed about 1 gpm. If this new filter can actually deliver 1000 gpd, which is about 41 gph or 2/3 gpm, I'd be ok with it. If it doesn't... well, I hope it does. We shall see...

OS

12. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

You may be ok as long as you have sufficient water pressure at the inlet of the R/O to hit your target GPM.

13. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

I have one of those, you cant put it on a pressure tank or it will not filter your water.
    Like duc said if you have 70 to 80 psi it will work decent, i have the booster pump and it still only gives me 500 gal a day. (about 20 gal an hour) but i have horrible water quality with high ppms so i think that slows it down so if you have high ppms in your water then you will want a water softener or you will be cleaning and replacing the pre filter a lot.

14. OldSmokey

I checked out the picture of your setup the other day, greenjah. Most impressive. And now I understand better why you did it that way. I didn't realize that this unit wasn't happy with a pressure tank until I read the directions that came with it.

The water pressure outside the house is 120 psi and I think the regulator for inside is at 80 psi. Whether I can get 80 PSI at the unit when it's in use remains to be seen. I hoping.

My water is 280 ppm, pH 8.0 and hard. By the time it's pHd, it's up to 350 ppm.

15. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

You are way better off then me, I have tons of iron and the ppms are 6 to 800, they do make a prefilter specifically for that unit witch i have but it has not left the box yet so im not sure how much better it is with it but like i said you are starting off better then my water in the first place so ide imagine you should get better results.

16. OldSmokey