DWC or RDWC questions......bring em here!?!?!!!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by CCrete, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

The pump sounds like a good idea,

so do you use the 2.5-7-18 (GH3 Useless formula) fert base duing week 5 if your not using a bloom booster?

2. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Yes, you use the bloom booster for an 8 week strain in week 5. If you have a longer running strain you just keep using week 4 till your ready for the booster. 8 weeker- bloom booster week 5. For a 10 weeker I run week 4 for either two or three weeks (depends on how the buds look) and then do week 5 with the bloom booster. Most of the time for a 10 weeker tho it goes 10 weeker- week 4 nutes for 2 weeks then week 5 with booster. Then week 6 and 7 and then flush for 2 weeks.

3. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Oh yeah, I also like to keep air bubbling in my res. I think it helps to keep everything mixed.

4. Justcheckingitout

I noticed on my new Dwc set up that as soon as I added a second air bubbler the plant looks twice as good. They must love the bubbles

So my question, on this round I am doing from seed and after the seeds sprouted in the dome tray I left the cubes there till they got a second set of leaves then put them in the dwc set up. After over a week in the dwc set up the roots are not past the net pots and into the water yet. So is this normal and also the sprouts are under flow lights still, is this also a factor for slow root growth??

The cubes are about 1/2 inch from the bottom of the pots on the clay pellets. I hand watered them twice now. They do look great.

5. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

What is the DWC setup again? I'm sure you posted it somewhere, but refresh my memory.

Also, how big are the cubes - you talking the little 2" square rockwool cubes? What do the roots look like when you put them into the dwc?

6. Bje4201

Bje4201 Vegetating

I had this same exact problem when I tried dwc. I forget who told me this but raise the water level up to about where the roots are now. Should get them to drinkin and shootin out more roots. I had about everything wrong happen when I tried it and haven't attempted it again. Luck to you :passsit:

7. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

I always top fed till the roots dropped, the more oxygen the roots get the better. I've read that flower lights in the veg stage does effect growth. But if your plants are looking good do what you do.

8. Justcheckingitout

They are in the little cubes. The roots were just coming out of the cubes when I put them in the net pots. The pots are in a 10 gallon tote with the water set just at the bottom of the pots. I am not worried about the plants. Just wondering if it normal for the roots grow slower from seed in the Dwc at the start. I am sure once the roots reach the water they will stretch.

Edit:....I just checked the one sprout has two inches of roots out of the bottom of the net pot. I am on my way!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
  9. Justcheckingitout

Res sizes???

I have been using 10 gallon dwc totes and only use 7-8 gallons in them because the net pots (water level below the pots of course).

So after a a good number of runs, two clones/net pots per tote, how do I put this, at each chop time there is a nice ball of roots but it seems I can go with a smaller tote, the roots hardly ever even fill up about 25% or so of the 10 gallon tote.

I figure smaller tote, savings on nutes, room for a extra tote in the grow space. Is this good thinking or not???? only thing I can think of off hand is less water, less nutes for the plants to suck up each week. (I do weeky res changes).

10. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

I would switch to 5 gallon buckets if it were me. :redbong:

11. Justcheckingitout

Would you say 5 gallon buckets per clone or 5 gallon tote for the two clones would be good? There is such a massive crazy growth on the dwc totes so I would think I could get same growth with smaller totes. I got this on my last round with two clones, pic was after I took tie strings down, branches falling all over. image.jpg

/monthly_2015_12/image.jpg.5b75cac544a0393a2b4ff83a52e3bd75.jpg

12. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

I was thinking you were using the dwc bucket with one plant in each bucket. That was my thoughts behind using a 5 gallon bucket.

13. Justcheckingitout

I was going to try those buckets but the net pots in the lids they had were huge

14. toshin

toshin Active Member

My last grow I used some 15 gal totes with a couple plants per tote. This time I am doing buckets. Currently 3 gal buckets, but going to go to 5 gallons recirculating system. 3 gal buckets will be too small for larger plants.

15. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

Have you ever tried a flood table or hempy? I grew dwc one time and that was enough for me, I hated messing with the buckets all the time.

16. Justcheckingitout

I love the hempy, dont have to dump anything, just water and chop. Lol