DWC set up question

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by Justcheckingitout, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

I think I have everything covered but got two questions, I am going to start with clones and then do some from seed later.

1. what does everyone use for holding down air tubes and air stones in the DWC set ups? Can I use silicone on the bottom of the air tube to hold it down and on the side of the tote also instead of the suck cup's?

2. Some one mentioned to put in Micro first when adding nutes then the grow and bloom? Does it really matter?

Ok, 3 questions

3. If I use a small tote for veg and have the net pots say 6" apart, will the roots likely be tangled with in two weeks? My thought is veg in smaller tote for two weeks then take out net pots and move to a bigger tote for flower.

Well I think that covers it. I have 4 C99 clones in rock wool waiting....OH

4. With hydro, on the rock wool cubes, do you want to keep the plastic around the cube in the Clone dome so roots grow out the bottom or take the plastic off so roots can grow out the sides? I figured you would want roots going out the sides to help stable the plant in the rock set up when you put them in the net pots. Does this matter?

Anyways, I am on T-8 days from my first hydo grow ever. :thumbsup:

OH SHIT

5. :roffl: Is it possible that I can keep the plants around 3 feet above the tote to flower out, or is that a lost thought? I read where in the Useless formula, he said you can use bush master to keep them from stretching, but how much stretching is this usually good for? I know I can bend the cola stock and tie branches back, but over all, I picture taller plants then my 3 gallon soil pots.

2. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

your airstones should be heavy enough to stay down but id stay away from any type of chemical inside the bucket

yes it matters, they'll block out if you don't toss em in by order, even GH says that much.....they just don't buffer correctly

just keep an eye on the roots and slide your hands between them to keep the roots in order when theyre combined like that....I do the same thing with my Ez cloners

I personally take off the plastic....either way will work

3ft????? that a huge plant in a small tote....don't forget your guna have to life them off to do the ressy change, unless you put a drain spigot on the bottom of the tub, then u can just run fresh water thru it till it runs clear to refill it. other than that, buy and extra tote of the same size to lift and place while you do the changeouts, same with the buckets......make sure you plan for that angle, its a mofo if your not prepped

3. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

1. You won't need anything to weigh the airstones down, and like CC says don't put glue and other crap in there.

2. Matters in DWC / RDWC where the roots are constantly immersed in the solution. Not so much when mixing in gallon amounts to be shaken stirred then introduced to the roots, or tables where the nutrient solution mixes around in a reservoir for 4 hours before being pumped into the flood table and hitting the roots.

3. Yes. But why change systems halfway through? Unless you have a perpetual grow going where you need to move things from room to room...

4. Plastic off.

5. Yes. Use a trellis and watch Mr. GJ closely.

4. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

I second CC's suggestion of making some kind of way to fill and drain your tubs without having to disturb them every week. that was the main issue I had. oh, and make sure the res is plenty big or they will suck the tub dry!

5. davidryanturner

davidryanturner Germinating

float and grow?

how do you make or buy a float and grow propigation tray?

6. Justcheckingitout

Welcome Daviddryanturner, I can't answer your question, but there are a lot of people here who can. You might want to post your question in a brand new thread (Meaning you start a new thread, everyone does it with new questions, like I did here about DWC) You best bet is to post it in the "Beginners" forum or in the "DIY" or here in the "Hydroponic" forum. Just click on one of those forums and then click "New Topic" near the top of the page, and post your question, you'll get a answer.

Also you might find your answer in the DIY thread under one of the "Stickys", they are at the top of the thread's list. Also Check the FAQ's "Frequently asked questions". Check the search feature also... Might help.

Let us know if you need more help. :thumbs-up:

7. CCrete

Google... RAFT system growing, typically used for lettuce and veggies

8. Justcheckingitout

Besides Ideal tote depth, I can only think of one other question, how far apart for the net pots is a good Idea? I only plan to use two per container so I figured a even space would be ok, but if I got a deeper tote with a smaller lid, get my drift? I am second guessing myself on tote sizes again, I know I need a decent size as far as at least 10 gallon for 2 pots, but the ones I seen are wide and shallow, the 14-18 gallon ones seem cool, nice and deep but the totes are less width so smaller lids?

9. friendlyfarmer

who's on first???:jj:

10. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

That was the biggest problem I had when I tried a couple bubble buckets years ago. I used 5 gal buckets and was fine through veg and early flower. But it wasn't long till, like Tx said, they were sucking the buckets down to nothing. I never even got one flowered out.

I've got a couple buckets going now and plan on submerging them in 10 gal totes at that point.

Be Cool, CG

11. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

I have never mixed my nutes like this. I have always done it in this order: Grow, Micro and then Bloom. I have either been very lucky or my mixing skills are awesome. I have also adjusted my water's ph first and then added nutes so take it for what it is. I seem to do things backwards and haven't had any issues.

12. Justcheckingitout

When mixing, you would just put one in after the other right? There is no wait in between is there?

I got a 10 gallon tote to start for veg and a 14 gallon tote to start flower, the lid for the 10 gallon fit's the 14 gallon so I should just b able to move it over in a couple of weeks, then if I need more than 14 gallon for a two net pots in flower, I can get a 18 gallon one that the same lid will fit also.

13. CCrete

ive always gone off of the what I read years ago on their website

14. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

I should give your way a try. What can it hurt? Hell, I might get even better results than I get now.

15. Justcheckingitout

so maybe someone can answer "Do you have to wait to mix nutes?" :roffl:

Can you just throw the Micro in and mix and then just add the Grow and mix and then the bloom and mix? Any wait between???

Details, Details!! :smokin:

16. CCrete

Ive always added while the ressy fills up, that way it got circulated.....but ive always been told and learned to start with PH down if needed then micro, grow then bloom or yellow,purple,green,pink for us stoners:roffl:

I wait till theres about half the water in there to start adding everything..

17. Justcheckingitout

My clones are looking good in the rock wool, I am about 5 days away from starting the first tote. Am going to start off with a fresh 400 w MH bulb for veg,

18. friendlyfarmer

A 400w MH should be perfect!

Dude you're gonna find that hydro is WAYYYY easy. If CC can do it...

:kidding:

19. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

As CC says, just add while filling up. No wait between adding. just measure and dump.

20. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

I mix mine 5gl at a time, I put the ph. down and start filling the bucket slowly after about a gallon I start adding the nutes in the order useless stated and pour it in the res, I feel it mixes better/easier like that. after reading CC's reply i'm wondering why I don't just mix it in the res. just use to growing in buckets I reckon.