dying on the vine

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by cheeks, Mar 18, 2004.

1. cheeks

cheeks Germinated

Do you wait the full 60 days then just leave the plant to die? Will it still work if left in a room with alot of light? Natural light. This is suppose to make a smoother smoke, from what I read a while back. Does the plant have to be under sodium or flors to work?
    What say you?

2. rangerdanger

rangerdanger ***Rest in Peace***

You harvest the buds when the bud hairs exibit a 75% color change.

3. cheeks

cheeks Germinated

ranger danger, thanks for the reply..but I did not make myself very clear. Let me try again. Ok after 60 days of flowering, I want to try that new way of curing. Where you leave all the buds right on the stalk and let it die naturally. They are saying it will make for smoother smoke and an intense high. My question is, can this be achieved by letting it die in a natural light or does it have to be under sodium or flors? Sorry about the first post.

4. rangerdanger

rangerdanger ***Rest in Peace***

After the buds are 75% color changes the THC begins to degrade.
    I read that other post but can only go by my own and friend's experiences.
    If you leave the buds on and leave the plant alive past the point I mentioned above, the buds will begin to get brown and nasty-tasting.
    One I was unable to get to a few plants in a very remote location until mid-November.  All the other plants had been perfectly ripe and harvested in mid-Oct.
    The plants were still alive (barely). The buds were brown and shriveled and extremely dry.  I figured I'd give it a shot (what did I have to lose) so I harvested the buds.  That night we rolled up a joint and took a hit.
    It was awful.  Tasted awful, smelled awful.  And I could tell it had lost potency by the lack of lung expansion.
    We threw it in the campfire.

To me, leaving buds on a plant after they're ripe makes as much sense as leaving say apples on a tree after they're ripe. They die, shrivel up, turn brown and are subject to rot.

Ed Rosenthal recommends harvesting at 75% color change.  Me too.

(Edited by rangerdanger at 10:48 am on Mar. 18, 2004)

5. stickifingers

stickifingers Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Cheeks I saw the thread yer refering to. I asked but didn't notice a response, bringing up most of the concerns Ranger mentioned. I can tell ya I've done it by accident & the buds were gnarly. Golden, crystaled & smelled OK but was **** to smoke, harsh & fast burning. That thread was "more potenet buds" I am not convinced this is good. I know it's gotta be hard on yer turn around cycle, where's yer next crop growing while yer waiting for these to die?
    I will say the color of the stygmas isn't what I go by, I used to but now I have a 25x microscope to check the trichomes.

6. doctorcalyx

doctorcalyx Full Flowering

yep they turn brown and become some suck ass smoke.

7. cheeks

cheeks Germinated

Wow, I'm glad that brain fart of an idea left before it's too late. Thanks for the info from your experiences.
    Stickifingers...what are you seeing in looking at the trichomes. I know at first they are clear and turn cloudy, is there also a change in shape? I've got about two weeks to go.  

8. stickifingers

stickifingers Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Indy has a very good post in B.L. called "Tidbits/FYI", very good reading. JerkeyPete had one awhile back called "trichomes 101" check these out.

9. Budweiser 3

Budweiser 3 Cured Fat Sticky Bud

"Huh"...thats funny:rolleyes:mine tasted great:smile:and only took 18 days too happen...too each his own then again i dont paint my walls!:lmao: Bud3