enough lighting

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by blah blah boy, Jan 24, 2012.

1. blah blah boy

blah blah boy Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

What is the formula that you need to figure out how much watts per square foot of grow area?

I got a 5x5x7' tall area only powered by 600HPS. I am trying to fine tune my grow and this is the first order.

Do I want 50watts per square ft or 100?

2. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

IMO for normal hydro systems and soil, 65w/sqft should be the max. The rule used to be 50w/sqft, but people have pushed it upwards of 100w/sqft with high end hydro systems. For most people, 65w/sqft is about the point of diminishing returns, and anything higher is just wasting money.

16sqft covered by a 1000w lamp is 62.5w/sqft.

25sqft covered by a 1000w lamp is 40w/sqft.

25sqft covered by 4 -400w lamps is 64w/sqft.

I think you'd be just fine to put a 1000 watter in there. In fact, I know you would, that's whats in my 5x5. :thumbsup:

-tC

3. blah blah boy

That means I get 24watts a square ft? That ain't good is it?

I think I might put 2 600's together in one of my 25sq/ft rooms and add 1000 to the one that I took the 600 out of. That would give me 48watts sq/ft in the 1200watt room and 40watts sq/ft in the other with the 1000watter.

4. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Hit my grow calculator...see if it helps

5. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Zactly! What tC said. Tho I'm guilty of being in the hyper wattage crowd. 75w-100w p/sq/ft just seems to give me a woody.:glasses2:

6. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Im rollin a 16sq ft area with a 1k, bout 62 a sq ft per watt...yields around 22-24oz......2 rooms like that, then 2-600s in a 5x4, running about 60watt a SQ.....yielding around 25-28oz

7. blah blah boy

Instead of adding more lights to each room I think I am breaking down the wall that separates the rooms to make one large room. Each RDWC system will be rerouted to make a straight line hugging the walls, so 2 rows of 6 on two different control buckets sharing the same lights.

So the room will be 4'.9" wide X 9'.10" long. A total of 44.59 sq/ft which will be 54watts pr sq/ft for 12 plants. BETTER :thumbsup:

I will add 2 more 600's to add to the all ready 2 600's in there for a total of 2400watts. I should see an improvement from 24watts sq/ft. :smokin:

8. Serenity420

Serenity420 Begun Flowering

I agree with rr on this one, I just ran cc grow calc and I'm coming out at 97 watt per sq ft , I new I was upwards of 85-90 but 97 was a nice surprise. I have ran like 45 watts per sq ft and I can def see a major difference in yield at 97 watts per sq ft.

9. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Just to add to the date pool...

Im running 600w over 8 sq.ft. = 75 watts per sq.ft. Things are rocking right along with the flip right around the corner.

cheers

edit: wanted to say the that the walls are covered with Orca Film as well. It's like having a little piece of the sun all to myself.