Fan leaves

Discussion in 'The 'Kind Kitchen' started by blackprince11, Apr 26, 2010.

1. blackprince11

blackprince11 Prince of the Hindu Kush

What can be done with fan leaves after harvest? I've heard of people boiling them for oil and using coffie filters to pull it from the water. Is that true or are fan leaves just useless?

2. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

people look at me funny when I say this: I smoke them or put them in cookies. Usually when I get a hermie, I just cut of the leaves and smoke them. I figure, Fuck it, why waste it? I'll bet the roots would be good in a soup or salad, too, but I never really felt the inclination to try it. HHmmm, now I do though.

I'm pretty sure every part of that plant is good for something.

3. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I compost my leaves and stems and roots. They are useful in many ways. I personally have never eaten them but they are edible. They contain very little THC and are not very useful for THC extractions. My compost is rich and fertile and I am sure it's partially because of all the MJ plant matter that I add back into it. :thumbs-up:

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Dunno bout anybody else, but I use every piece of green on the plant for hash, butter or cooking. Of course we all know where the buds go. Just hate wasting anything I worked so hard on.

cheers,

5. blackprince11

blackprince11 Prince of the Hindu Kush

How exactly does a compost heap work? Do you just keep adding stuff and letting it decompose or is there a certain mixture of plant and other kinds of waste that you are supposed to use to get different results for different plants?

6. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

Diddo

I USE THE BUBBLE BAGS THEN I COMPOST IF MY BUDDIE DONT TAKE IT FOR ISO

7. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Compost is easy!

There is more than one way to do a compost bin/heap. I use a plastic compost bin. It is about 3 1/2 ft. X 2 ft X 2 1/2 ft. You can also just do it in a pile on the ground covered with black plastic. I prefer a bin. I started by making a layer of course material like twigs, bark, small sticks, stems, etc. Then make a layer on top of that of wet green materials like green leaves, grass clippings, add in some kitchen scraps like coffee grounds, egg shells, all produce that is either spoiled or not used like carrot tops, onion skins etc. Keep layering using alternating dry and wet layers, I have added into my bin all the pine wood shavings we use for rabbit bedding along with the rabbit manure, as well as chicken manure from our chickens in small amounts, as well as dry leaves. I will occasionally add some water from the hose to keep it moist. You need to allow some time for decomposition to start. You can add compost starter Like Dr. Earth compost starter(I use this stuff, it's excellent) to accelerate the process a little. Once the pile starts to break down you can turn the pile using a pitch fork or shovel to mix in the top layers. I also add in my old potting soil and some perlite left over from my hempy plants. Soon you'll see the under layers are becoming dark rich soil full of earthworms and grubs. Lots of fungus gnats are normal as well. They all play a part in the decomposition of the organic matter. I use my organic compost in my outdoor garden. If you intend to use it indoors I would recommend sifting and sterilizing it first so you don't transport insects or fungus into your indoor garden where they can get out of balance and become a serious problem. Hope that helps to give you an idea.

8. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

here's a GK post about composting. there's quite a few folks on here that do it, also, if you wanted to throw up specific questions..

http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?p=236558#post236558

the easiest way to compost, is to get a tumbler of some sort. that way you don't have to deal with pitchforks and crazy piles and whatnot. (i've done it, it's backbreaking!!!)

the basic princpals of composting - you add organic material (plants, grass, leaves, etc) that naturally contain nutrients. (what you add will affect your end result nutes)

you heat organic pile up to a certain temp, with oxygen, set conditions, and after a few weeks, microbes that are already in there will break everything down to a nutrient rich, black dirt (gardeners call it black gold) - voila! compost! you can then use this to grow in. i know a couple of growers that use just compost for MJ - there's enough nutes in it to do that, and they will NEVER burn your plants! it's like the best dirt in the world, and you get it from your scraps. how cool is that?

anyways, there's tons of info, if you want to do it, but don't want to 100% spend time on it - get a compost tumbler. you can even build your own for way cheap (i have 2). also, it's a great way of getting rid of 'evidence' when you're done with a grow!

good luck!

peace

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

9. johard59

johard59 Germinating

Yeah fan leaves are not useless they are helpfull in many ways as you said after harvesting we can boil and make filter coffee and also there are many uses of it if you google it you will find many uses.

10. mt.king

hash

Bubble or iso

11. mt.king

hash

Bubble or iso

12. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

im with ras on this one....compost...my worm bin is full of material that would be tossed otherwise....very rich soil....awsome way to dispose of leftovers!!!

13. mt.king

OK Compost

After I bubble or isopropil alky or everclear then I compost waste not want not h:roffl: