Garden Shots

Discussion in 'The Growkind Gallery' started by SuperMoChombo, Jan 16, 2017.

1. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I'm really into it. I love to putter in the garden.

I trim the topity tops by hand, the rest through the trim pro. Cant do that with loose bud however. Fluff gets shredded in the the trimpro. I use it as a QC measure of sorts - if the bud survives the spinner, it's good to go. But the tighter the bud the better the trim pro works.

I keep changing my drying / trimming routine but I think I've settled on the following: on harvest day I chop all the plants at once and hang them in a room with a dehumidifier that keeps the RH at about 20%. That takes about 2 hours, then I clean tables, shift plants, etc. Four to five days later when the fans are shatter-crisp I pull the plants down and trim it one at a time. I first part the plant into sections I can easily handle and get rid of the fan leaves and extra stem - everything I want to toss. Then I cut the plant into 8-10" stem sections with buds and take off the biggest tops and set them aside for hand trimming. Then I separate the buds from the remaining stems and get a pile of leafy buds. Then they go into the spinner a few handfuls at a time. Once spun I dump them either into jars if dry enough or out onto net racks if they still need another day to dry. I can do about a plant an hour, so it takes 40 hours or a full week of solid 8 hour days to get through it all. It's been fun though because things are going pretty well, so mentally I can hack it. Though much more than that and I'll have to do something different.

Sometimes I trickle electricity through electrodes on my head and I can go 30% faster.

The Rapid LEDs are OK. Grows good bud but wayyy too small of a footprint. We knew that.

All the popcorn and close trim gets frozen and usually made into wax.

2. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

You have come along way. Good job my friend!

3. SuperMoChombo

Thanks boss. Looks like on your tables the trellis hits the plants about halfway up the plant. On the next round - I'm 1 1/2 weeks into flower. I lowered the trellis and as you can see with still a week and a half of stretch left I think I'm in the zone.

It takes me a little less than ten minutes to clean up a plant. To do a whole crop will take about 8-10 hours.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Discorilla, ducrider and Mrgreengenes like this.
  4. SuperMoChombo

Today is the end of the third week of flower. Over the last few days I have been taking fan leaves off. I have 5 tables in this round and I trimmed ALL the fans, even tiny ones, off all the plants in one table. Three others I have just taken the fans above the trellis. One table I have left pretty much untouched aside from taking a few obviously offending and piggish fans that directly covered an adjacent bud site.

Full strip

[​IMG]

Down at the far end they will just get the tops de-fanned.
    [​IMG]

Working my way through
    [​IMG]

Leaving this one alone, mostly.
    [​IMG]

I will make heroic efforts to keep the tables sorted out through the trim, so I can get yield numbers.

5. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Dude, that's a shit pile of work!

Trimming. My solution. Found a young herbalist interested in cannabis. We trade product for time. Oils, butter, flowers, trim. I empty the garden and break down plants. She trims and is wicked fast. We can clear out a 30+ plant indoor garden in less than a day. Fresh hand trimmed buds go on the rack until dry then cure in buckets. Best investment I ever made was getting a trimmer on board. My workload is half what it was before.

Tried the Spinpro and sold it. Saw all the yummy goop stuck to the blades, sides, grate and it made me sick. Looked at expensive trimmers but have no need for big gear yet.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  6. SuperMoChombo

It is lots of work. I've had help here and there. I like the trimpro. It doesn't work as well on certain strains, but if you have tight nugs, it works a treat. Fast and does a better job than I do sometimes. It takes off some frost, but so does trimming with scissors if you do it with any speed at all. It does not go to waste though - all the trim and scrapings go into the wax tube. I find the bowl under the spinner to be a good place to concentrate "trim of interest" meaning the little stuff that invariably gets everywhere, and helps to handle it. I have used a variety of items to catch TOI. The bowl is handy.

How you grow and what you grow makes a big difference in how you trim and how easy or hard it is. Some crops I've harvested were all hand-grenade sized buds with very few fans and leaves, well spaced along the stem and took no time at all to trim. It was a pleasure to just gawk at the buds. Other crops have been like gravel at the end. Peanuts. Madness. Too small and light for the trimpro. Ten clips with the scissors to get down to a kernel the size of a walnut that dries to the size of pea. Scissors completely gummed after five teeny buds, requiring de-gumming with alcohol. An hour to get a half ounce. Madness.

Three more days and I head down the rabbit hole! I didn't do anything but a single fan removal of top buds at week 2 of flower on this crop, so there is going to be a lot of popcorn. Sigh. I didn't trim out the bottom very well either. Better than last time though.

7. SuperMoChombo

Ya know I sure could use a young herbalist of the female persuasion. I'd ditch my trimpro for one of those pretty quick, might cost me a lot more in the long run. Slim pickings though, so I'll just tape a photo of my Pam Anderson Pre-Tommy Sex Robot on the top of the spinner for now.

:stoned-smiley:

8. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

......and lean into the machine as it spins....:stoned-smiley:

nappyhawk likes this.
  9. SuperMoChombo

Cleaning tables. Actually, I'm procrastinating by posting about it.

Scrub little Dutch boy scrub.

10. SuperMoChombo

A few more garden shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ResinRubber and blazerwill420 like this.
  11. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

After a spin the buds look like Brussel sprouts. Lol

blazerwill420 likes this.
  12. SuperMoChombo

I tell you what man in certain circumstances I swear by that trimmer. It is a time saver for sure. Can't use it on fluffy bud, but if you toss in dry chunk bud, dry like crisp and its solid, you get a perfect trim.

I've noticed the wax made from wet trim (frozen) is more greenish and smells like wet grass. I'm thinking dry hand trim makes the best wax next to bud.

13. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

SMC you are correct. The best BHO is normally from dry trim. The spinnner works great on hard ass nuggs.

14. SuperMoChombo

Look at these pretty leaves. Yellow on top, purple orange pink on bottom

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

16. SuperMoChombo

Wow. That stuff is really yellow. I take that as a sign of goodness.

I love gold. I wish I could get it every time. I hate the darker colors. In my mind the more yellow or light colored the wax, the better. That could be a mistake but damn that shit you got looks good!

And crumbly like crystallized honey. Maybe that's a texture I should strive for.

17. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

They don't all come out that yellow but they are close. I uploaded a few more run pics yesterday but don't want to hi-jack your thread with my pics.