Having trouble installing light lifters!! Help!

Discussion in 'DIY' started by sisko707, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sisko707

sisko707 Germinating

I have been working on installing our new grow equipment as a surprise for my husband while he has been out of town. I know what yo-yos are and I guess I just assumed that they would be pretty straightforward to install.

I WAS WRONG... I have spent way too long looking at the many ways I could attempt to put them up, but I dont want to risk it. The manufacturer doesn't have any documentation even online.

Ive attached a pic... DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO INSTALL THESE SO I CAN HANG THE HOODS???? Please and thanks.
    :not-worthy: llift-125.jpg

2. Dank Vapor

Dank Vapor Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Looks like u need to screw a hook into the ceiling.

Get hooks that are rated to handle at least the weight of the lights x 2 for safety.

3. ncmaineac

ncmaineac Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

light holders

please don't use those, they do not work properly. see if you can get your money back....after a short period of time they will not hold up the light, especially if the ballast (heavy part of light) is connected to light.

there is one thing...if you paid like 50 bucks for those instead of like 12.95 or something like that, they will probably work therefore i will give you hand on how to install them...

instead go to home depot , lowe's and get some light chain, something that will hold 50 lbs and get enough to connect to whatever you are connecting to, if its the ceiling make sure you get enough...then get connectors for either end....you will have to see what works at the store as i dont know what you are connecting to..ceiling, metal, wood, plastic...for the other end get some clamps like the rock climbers use and that will connect to the light holders....i will check back to see if you have any questions...

good luck..

ps: i just reread and i want you to know i was trying to be detailed and not talk down to you....i hope you understand, i am not sure of your knowledge level when it comes to projects of this sort....i hope this is of some help...again, good luck.

4. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Dont use them. They get weak and will colapse and let the light down on your plants. They also wont hold much weight at all.

:beerchug-2:

Teamster6

5. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

A pair of those came with one of my lights. They are junk.

Budz:anibong::anibong::anibong:

6. nuggnester

nuggnester Pot & Poker Enthusiast

I don;t know what you guys are talking about

Like all equipment there are good ones and bad ones. I use four for each one of me hoods and could not be happier. Just don;t buy the cheapo ones. The 20 dollar pair is fine. Whoever hooks a ballast onto those is not thinking correctly either...each pair is rated for 25 pounds...i couldnt imagine putting a magnetic ballast on those. As long as the tension is set to the right ...tightness?...then it will be fine.

I've had my two huge bulky sun system reflectors hooked to them (eight total) and i couldnt be happier. The string is very durable and tear proof. I've had them all hanging for over a year and havn't noticed ANY reduction in the tension system. They work exactly as advertised. They are extremely handy and i would NEVER go back to chains. It takes five minutes to adjust with chains...5 seconds with these.

Now to answer the younf ladies question...

Your reflectors need to have the metal hangers on each side (2)...that is where the string will be hooked...make sure to tie a very good knot as the weakest link in the line will most likedly be this knot. Then you need to get some hooks that are rated ( as someone said earlier) for two times the weight of your reflector(just to be safe, ya know) place the other end into the ceiling making sure it is SECURELY in there..pull on it..test it..cannot stress how important it is to get this piece properly installed....make sure the hook on the piece you get can fit inside the top grey plastic hole of the ball bearing...dont force it...make sure it has enough room to hang in all directions without pinching that plastic piece against the metal hook. Do you understand what I mean? I used standard dry wall hooks when i installed mine. Anyways...once you get it set up you need to rotate the metal knob on the ball bearing clockwise to make the string tightens, and counter-clockwise to losen it up, therefore allowing the reflector to be adjusted. It seems complicated at first...but once you get the hang of it it's a whole hell of a lot easier than adjusting your light 10 settings during the plants life using chains!!

as long as they are tightened enough and you do not exceed the weight limit of the pair, they are an asset your husband's grow room and i would be THRILLED had my girlfriend installed these efficiently for me. Make you you do it right though....if you don;t feel comfortable than just let him do it...as it is VERY important they are installed correctly...for obvious reasons. FIRE!!!

7. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

ok I disagree with you guys saying that they suck, I think they work just fine, maybe it depends on the manufacturer. I've been using mine for a year and I only paid 6 bucks a piece. I like the jo jos better than chains, which I've also used, because you can adjust the height anytime without any effort....I'm lazy, and its real handy to be able to raise the hood to the top when tending or spraying your plants.

I'll try to explain in a little easier terms. The top, plastic loop needs to be attached to the ceiling or whatever you're hanging your lights from, I grow in a tent so I use zip ties to do this. The string is then attached to your hood with a knot. You use the bolt/screw on the jo jo, to adjust it to the weight of the hood, loosen the screw to the point to where the hood stays in place, but is easily moved up or down.

8. rollin2techno

rollin2techno cL053t Gr0w3r

Go to Home Depot and buy a few feet of chain links. Strong, adjustable and only $2

9. BlazeOne

BlazeOne Pothead Extraordinaire

Throw the hardware it came with out. Go buy 2 big hooks. put the light lifters on the hooks. Adjust the string so its all the way in the Light Lifter. Tie 4-6 knots from the string to the reflector(make sure you tie it high so you can bring the reflector close to the cieling. It should look something like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pull the hangers down where you want them and tighten them another half a turn. You'll need to loosen them again if you want to pull them down. Remember to never use more weight then your light lifters are rated for.:thumbs-up:

10. sisko707

sisko707 Germinating

Checking In... thanks for the feedback!

Hey thanks everyone for all the great feedback! After I posted my question I went and installed them on my own. Now that I have read the replies, I have realized that I did it backwards. I hooked the yo yo to the hood and strung them from hooks in the ceiling. I am going to re-install and upload pics when I am done for your review.

Again... thanks so much everyone! I WILL BE BACK with more questions as this is quite the project for us and your feedback is so helpful!

Sisko:thumbs-up:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.