It all tastes like crap!

Discussion in 'The 'Kind Kitchen' started by Midnight Garden, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

How do you guys make your butter? Every time I make it, whatever I end up using it in tastes like utter crap. I made some brownies today from scratch thinking that the cocoa powder (2/3 cup) would be strong enough to kill the taste. Oh bloody hell, these damn things are plain out nasty!

I used two sticks of butter, 50 grams of weed (all bud) and two cups of water in a crock pot and let it go low and slow for five hours. After it was done I strained it, cooled it, skimmed off the butter and got rid of the water. I then used this recipe for the brownies...

Ingredients

Brownies

• 1 cup butter

• 2 cups white sugar

• 4 eggs

• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

• 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

• 1 cup all-purpose flour

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Icing

• 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons butter, softened

• 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

• 2 tablespoons honey

• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

• 2 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions

This recipe's Ingredients were scaled to yield a new amount. The directions below still refer to the original recipe yield of 16 brownies.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8 inch square pan.

2. In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup flour, salt, and baking powder. Spread batter into prepared pan.

3.Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not overcook.

4.To Make Frosting: Combine 3 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 cup confectioners' sugar. Frost brownies while they are still warm.

How are you guys making yours and does it taste like crap?

On a side note, ever hear about the dummies that get "sick from eating the brownies" that someone inadvertently brought to school/work/church or wherever? There is no fucking way you'd even get past one bite of these fucking things! One did get me "sick" pretty good though!

[​IMG]

2. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I have a special method which allows me to make potent butter with very little ganja flavor. My edibles are absolutely delicious and you probably wouldn't know it had ganja in it unless you were made aware beforehand.

I use ABV (already been vaped) buds. I do a lot of vaporizing and I only hit my buds once in the vaporizer. I save all the vaped buds and use that to make my butter. I use 2 ounces of ABV buds per 1 1/4 lbs of unsalted butter. I just put it into a sauce pan and onto the stovetop on the lowest possible setting and let it heat for a few hours. Squeeze through a cheesecloth and cool. The ABV buds add a toasted nutty flavor to the cookies or brownies. I have even made barbeque sauce, pesto, and spaghetti sauce with my ganja butter and in every case you can't detect the ganja flavor.

Of course if you don't have ABV buds..... You outta luck.

3. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

I use 3/4 oz. ground-up bud/2 sticks butter. Add 6-8 cups water and simmer for about an hr. Strain thru cheese cloth, put in fridge until you can seperate butter block from water and you're all set.

Works pretty well.

4. choker

choker HIDING OUT

I think your problems lies in the amount of water. I never measured the water but, it must have been 6 to 8 cups. 45 minutes to an hour simmer is all ya need.

5. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

why does everybody the cook the living shit outa their ganja, 5 hours is total overkill. My guess is, that the bad taste comes from simmering the butter for so long. 30 minutes is enough, gets you totally blazed and tastes fairly decent too.

6. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

One thing that helps is clarifying the butter first. Also, if you're doing baked goodies use vanilla, ginger, cloves, nutmeg or cinnamon to mask some of the flavor.

7. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

Oh I forgot the biggest trick to get butter to taste better: Soak the trim in water over night, let dry, then use for cooking. You'll lose a few trichs, but the taste will be much much better.

8. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Orrrrr, get a vaporizer and use the crap out of it!!! :coolbounce: :jj:

9. dowork123

dowork123 Delaying gratification!

I have also heard not squeezing the mixture out at the end keeps that chlorophyl/wet weed taste out. I just can't bring myself to "waste" any butter by not straining it all out, lol!

10. Midnight Garden

I have a vaporizer and cannot smoke out of it, everytime I do I have a damn coughing fit.

11. Midnight Garden

Now this I have not tried.

12. Midnight Garden

Yep!

13. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Turn the heat down a little bit. You're probably toasting it too much. Or maybe you just need to take smaller hits. :new_blackey:

14. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

Water cure the ganja before using it to make butter as Link suggested.

Otherwise, use hash. Hash has a mild spice flavor to it, kind of like cinnamon. Much better for edibles IMO.

15. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Couch Lock Killer Browines

This is what I do and you wont need to smoke after one of theses.

Take a 1 and a 1/2 cups of cooking oil and place into a small pan. Don't heat it yet!

Take two ounces of good trim or 1.5 of kind bud and grind in a coffee grinder until it is like flower. Make sure the bud or trim you are using is completely dry!

Wet bud and hot oil do not mix.

Now heat the oil to no more than 215 degrees. You want the oil hot enough to simmer but not boil. Your not trying to fry it.

Add your ground bud to the oil and stir it in.

For the next hour stir it every 15 minutes very well. After one hour turn the heat off and continue to stir every 15 minutes for one more hour.

Now strain the oil through several layers of cheese cloth to remove and plant matter. The oil will be dark green. Place oil in a jar or what ever and store in a dark place. the oil now holds the THC. You should have enough oil to make 3 or for pans of Brownies with this recipe.

Take a instant brownie mix like double fudge chocolate.

the brownie mixes in the box use oil in place of butter.

Add only the recommended oil to the mix and get ready for a great brownie. Wow!

16. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

^^^ Now this sounds good ^^^ :thumbs-up: