Longtime member, new grow box!

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by BarnabyStones, Aug 29, 2014.

1. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

BS- Mind if I lift your DIY cloner posts and put them in a new thread in the DIY section?

2. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

I like it!! :goodjob:

BarnabyStones likes this.
  3. BarnabyStones

BarnabyStones Established Healthy Roots

Yes the chamber is sealed, that's how this concept is able to work. When the doors are shut all air is pulled through the cool tube into the utility chamber(which in turn cools the ballast), there is a single small hole behind the main hood exhaust for power cords to run through which also draws some air into the utility chamber. If I understand you correctly, a passive hole in that location would be a light leak in both directions.

4. BarnabyStones

Oh absolutely, I would love for others to see this design. It's about as simple as it gets and I have never had a cloner with a smaller footprint that can hold this many cuttings.

5. BarnabyStones

Question, what is everyone's thoughts on removing lower plant material and when should I do it? Just started week 2 of flower. Obviously I want to get under the canopy here soon and remove a lot of the stuff that's not getting any light, perhaps take another round of clones for fun. But at the same time I'm currently worried about how much she's going to stretch, and was thinking that leaving some of that lower material on there during stretch will minimize vertical growth? Would it be OK to wait until I'm into week 3 before I remove some lower branches?

6. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Should work as long as the stems don't stand in stagnant water. They need air, that's why the other cloners spray or bubble the water. Hope it work for ya .

Be Cool, CG

7. DaBurner420

DaBurner420 This Line For Rent.

... the "concept" can work without a complete seal.

8. DaBurner420

...I would assume that any hole would be made light proof.
    Have fun.

9. DaBurner420

...I would assume that any hole would be made light proof. But I stated intake which doesnt have to be a new hole, i.e. routing the passive with duct.
    Have fun.

10. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Yeah, removing some of the lower stuff that's not getting any light will mean more resources, food and water, for the top buds. A bunch of us here used to be afraid to trim it thinking we're loosing buds. When actually we're getting more weight per plant by trimming.

Mr G has been trimming stuff that some of us would have never considered and getting fantastic results. Now we're following suit and getting much better results ourselves. Bigger tops and less little stringer buds really pays off.

I'd say the sooner you trim the better. If they're clone material then try. I personally don't have very good results after they've been in flower more than a few days. But some folks do it often with no problem, could be a strain thing. All you can do is try and see.

If you're seeing stretching you can pinch the tallest ones. Don't cut them off, just come down 2 or 3 nodes from the top and pinch the stalk until it flattens out in your fingers and bend it over 90 degrees. It will repair itself in a couple days while the other branches grow to catch up. Good luck!!

Be Cool, CG

BarnabyStones likes this.
  11. BarnabyStones

Well there is only one place for air to leak that it wasn't intended, and that is along the front edge of the middle shelf. However that edge makes a perfect seal when the doors are shut, so there is a complete seal.

I'm not sure what adding a vent on the side of the box would do for me, I have never seen this used in anyone else's design. I was just trying to say that it might be hard to make an unobtrusive light proof vent in that area. But like I said there is another small hole that takes hot air out of the top of the chamber into the utility area. My intention was for (cool) air to come in from the lowest point of the box, and (hot) air exiting at the top. Can you elaborate on what you meant? I wasn't trying to shoot down the idea maybe i just don't understand how that would be accomplished. I'm adding a fan for a breeze across the canopy, it will be here tomorrow.

12. BarnabyStones

Yea they aren't actually in standing water, only need about an inch of water to be safe for a few days and it wicks up creating an airy moist verm media all the way to the surface. I actually used no dome and kept them out in the room, humidity is really low (35%)and they are all still healthy. I was surprised to find the very top surface of verm never dries out, even with lots of air movement in the room.

13. BarnabyStones

Finished the stealth veg desk tonight, I already had this reflector and turns out it fit perfectly in an old desk. Should be a nice place for the kids to play, maybe a mom to watch over them? But yea it's pretty simple, just used 2 120mm fans and some passive intakes, which probably aren't even doing much. This will mostly be an area for my new cloner to hang out, will be working on something else for a larger veg area. Comments welcome! View attachment 19396 View attachment 19397

IMG_3999.JPG

IMG_4001.JPG

/monthly_2014_09/IMG_3999.JPG.51018e1d5dde2912cc03a9bebf453b06.JPG

/monthly_2014_09/IMG_4001.JPG.79597f87aeae4168c6c5f32316502a14.JPG

14. BarnabyStones

Well after trying several things out that took up too much space, I decided to at least set up a 120mm PC fan that blows across the top of the canopy and directly under the cool tube. View attachment 19409 Closing in on 2 weeks flower, she's kinda blowing up. I'm on the fence about letting her go natural or doing some trimming down low... At this point she was NEVER topped which makes me want to experiment, definitely starting to see some nice bud site formation! View attachment 19410 View attachment 19411

2014-09-11 20.18.41.jpg

2014-09-11 20.18.57.jpg

2014-09-12 01.30.51.jpg

/monthly_2014_09/57a6cb554cf8f_2014-09-1120.18.41.jpg.0e35bf122223ecf8b17837ed0233638a.jpg

/monthly_2014_09/57a6cb557b14a_2014-09-1120.18.57.jpg.ac741835088b2a8c68293d7840d68bd0.jpg

/monthly_2014_09/57a6cb55d2063_2014-09-1201.30.51.jpg.c1794c935c408b3d6995e2c278cb81ff.jpg

15. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Hey Barnaby, that girl is going to fill that cabinet completely.:bravo: a little under growth cleaning may be a good thing. :idea:

Looking good so far.

16. SirStynkalot

SirStynkalot A Fat Sticky Bud

Impressive work, sir! I love micro cab projects and can't wait to see how yours turns out.

I'm not surprised vermiculite worked well for you for keeping humidity high. It is also used in PF Tek mushroom cake growing because it manages humidity so well. For mushrooms :5eek: its used to elevate the base of the cake out of standing water and maintain humidity inside the terrarium at 99%. I can't believe I've never thought of that before. Guess I assumed contact made a difference and you use rough grade vermiculite for mushroom cultivation. 2 and 2 didn't add up. Thanks for the tip!!

17. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

Hell yeah, you got that cab rockin like a:pimp:

18. BarnabyStones

Week 3 of flower. I decided to take everyone's advice and do some trimming, and while doing that I made a few adjustments and rotated her 180. Fits in the box really nice now... I have never worked with anything quite so sativa dominant, despite the crazy stretching she sure is beautiful and smells amazing... Just difficult to keep things evenly spread, have been doing lots of pinching the whole time. The box was originally intended for scrog, but I wanted to try to keep things simple for this first run. I have also since added a window A/C with a wireless remote, I just flip it on when things are getting warm. I highly recommend these etekcity 5 channel remote control outlets http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-ZAP-5LX-Auto-Programmable-Function/dp/B00DQELHBS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410851351&sr=8-1&keywords=etekcity+remote, they're amazing and I have all my different devices on them now. If someone stops by I can shut everything down from the opposite side of the house.Here is a pic to show how the stem looks, you can see the main stem wraps around the left View attachment 19430 With the light off View attachment 19431 And light on View attachment 19432 Thanks for all the kind words everyone, pray that she doesn't keep stretching on me!

2014-09-16 01.28.48.jpg

2014-09-16 01.46.25.jpg

2014-09-16 01.47.29.jpg

/monthly_2014_09/57a6cb5a636ec_2014-09-1601.28.48.jpg.94d634905b3f31e1a82929472d05ca38.jpg

/monthly_2014_09/57a6cb5a84f13_2014-09-1601.46.25.jpg.13d5b7799f1438833af2da4471e6cd94.jpg

/monthly_2014_09/57a6cb5aaa019_2014-09-1601.47.29.jpg.888653ea500bea84d0aa186098b4ab7c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
  19. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Looking good man!

20. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Nice tie down job.

:whipping boy:

Why do you tie your plants DOWN but tie your prisoners UP? Crazy English language!