Made my first batch of bho today

Discussion in 'Hash and Oil' started by Ms2k, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

Me and you should hang out more Res...:jj:

2. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

res I want some of that..... Even to me 165℉ seems way too high... Seems you would burn off all the good stuff....

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Zactly. Good BHO should carry the flavor of the plant. High purge temps volatilize many of the terpines which give the product it's flavor profile. It's the difference between eating a Mickey D burger or a half pound medium rare ground steak sandwich. Both taste like a burgers.....but the difference is obvious in one bite.

There's recent studies now that many of the terpines that burn off at low temps actually have a beneficial effect in themselves or in conjunction with some of the other compounds. No need to remove them unless you're playing with temp distillation to specifically remove something.

4. Bigbud214

Yes supposedly terpines have been shown help counteract the short term memory loss of THC. As well as slow the degradation of both THC and CBDs... So I'm guessing you would want to preserve the terpines as much as possible... Not to mention as Res said all that wonderful flavor

5. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

:eusa_eh:All this oil talk makes me want to take a dab!

6. Bigbud214

I still haven't had a decet dab... Just that one chunk I showed

7. dowork123

dowork123 Delaying gratification!

I would personally never use a jar to purge and my slabs are too big for a jar anyway at this point. My point was to make the CLEANEST extract…not shatter, not wax…I don't go for a consistency. I go for the cleanest product possible and sometimes the strain dictates higher or lower temps. I have some strains (med man/mr nice) I can purge at 90F. Then my (white widow/seedsman) I have to take up to 108-115F. The strains ability to melt is what dictates my consistency but I almost always get shatter because of my winterization….hard to wax up a winterized extract.

So, what I was saying, if you want that extract clean, really clean, you need a vac or high temps. That's all I was saying, if you want to retain terms and smoke tame, go nuts. I have made my extracts every way possible, I made them like this, I can with all certainty say that extracts made on low temp without a vac are filled with tane. Now, if you can prove to me with a lab test otherwise I will apologize and be happy as balls, know why? Then I can stop vaccing for 40+ hours…if what you are saying is true it would be a benefit to my life….sadly in my experience, not a good extract to consume. Just because it snaps and is hard doesn't mean it was purged properly AND you can have residual tane without sparking and popping so also not a good test imho.

I am not here to start shit, I would rather people consume cleaner concentrates rather than worrying about losing a few terps and taste….and yes I know all the boiling points of the terps…the lowest boiling terp is a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor…and of great value…but do I smoke more butane to preserve that terp?

8. dowork123

I will say this in the nicest way possible cause you tossed that number out as fact and it's almost 4 times the actual cost…across international has a brand new .9 cu ft oven for 899. A nice yellow jacket pump for 400 and you're at 1300.

Now all that being said, still way too much for a closet grower…so buy a vac it pro, comes with everything you need as far as a chamber for 140. Buy a decent robin air pump 160 and a griddle 20….now no one is gonna say 320 is too much for a closet grower and to be honest….your health is worth more than 300 bucks if you want to consume this shit.

Also, gray wolf from skunk pharm did a few tests on canned tane, google skunkpharm mystery oil. They found some good news and some bad news, check it out. Bottom line though, lucienne 4x tested at the lowest ppm residual mystery oil contaminants. Colibri was one of the worst.

And i'd like to stress again the importance of dewaxing with a buchner funnel and a hand vacuum, this technique also goes beyond the grasp of the normal home grower for many reasons, money and safety are two big ones. So, I always say, get a hold of some everclear and blast directly into that, purge the butane out of the ETOH til it stops boiling and no bubbles form upon agitation and then winterize as per usual from there. I also prefer dry ice rather than using your freezer…the goal is to get the ETOH down to at least -18F for min 24hr the dry ice will put it into the negative 30's whereas a freezer may only get you to around 0.

9. dowork123

And I keep bringing up the vac because thats the only way to remove damn near all residual solvents AND preserve the precious terps. Terps are very beneficial, we do not want to add heat where it isn't necessary…but without a vac, it's f'n necessary lol. BUT would I keep a temp low or pull a slab early to preserve terps, no way.

I know people that pull a 5 hour vac on a product and call it done. That's not even enough time to remove the residual H2O in the sample…which is another issue with most bho I consume made by others, it's too wet. Sometimes you hear a sizzle and most people would think it's tane and most of the time, if it comes from someone that is somewhat well versed in bho extraction, 9 times out of 10 it's too much moisture and not necessarily solvent. Butane pulls a very small amount of water and the water bath you purge in will add moisture…some things to think about.

10. dowork123

I posted a slab after 40 hours in the vac…if the pic works and posts i'll open a thread and go through my process…kinda testing how to upload pics I hate doing it but such is life.EDIT: It posted…this is med man nug run, vacced at 29.95hg at 98 degrees…terp city, solid no bend, no sizzle just melts onto the nail and near zero residue left on the nail…no grip in the lungs no scratch in the throat.

IMG_2870.jpg

/monthly_2013_12/IMG_2870.jpg.1dfb10050b92397da86393bd96099349.jpg

11. Bigbud214

Across international is where I got that price... But no worries man... You see even $300+ is a big expense for me... Not so much for most of you.

12. dowork123

No worries brother maybe I made some assumptions I shouldn't have.

13. Bigbud214

I saw cheaper things there but didn't seem like the required ovens ive read about. High times did a two part story in current issue. Talked about winterizing with a 190 proof grape alcohol. They talked about certain ovens from across international... They said the preset ones would take significantly longer... They also said you should get a trap that has a dry ice section and nitrogen section to protect the vacuum pump seals and oils

14. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Not a Heisenberg where BHO is concerned. Consider myself more of a Jessie. That said....

After hashing around 10 separate strains (ranging from 100% African satty to 100% Afgan) into BHO I've never come across anything requiring such high temps. Methinks high temps is the exception to the rule and should not be played out there loosely. You say 165F and sure enough some bozo kid'll will run everything at 165F and get less than desirable results.

Winterization. I'm new to this piece of the puzzle and only been winterizing my oils for less than a year. My understanding is that a wash (winterizing) purges the tane making use of a vac unnecessary. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Purge, A decent purge can, and is, done often by hobbyists without a vac. It requires patience more than anything. Sorry you don't use a jar for your "slabs". That doesn't make them useless to the rest of us though. I believe in the use what you got unless it don't work method. Most runs for hobbyists are 2-5 grams and perfectly suitable for a jar and long low vacuum. As for myself, my runs range from 4-15 grams. A jar or low heat and time for short runs, bell jar and high vac for larger runs.