My new RDWC setup

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by toshin, Jun 25, 2017.

1. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

That heat without C02 will cause your buds to foxtail and be fluffy, most strains. Also are you taking the temp in the known hotspots? If not, your temp gauge ain't telling you what you want to know, which is the heat at the hottest bud.

RH is low. That's not bad but also not ideal.

Link that grow log thread will ya.

You are tracking the right stuff.

2. toshin

toshin Active Member

https://forum.growkind.com/threads/led-rdwc-grow.47096/

System just went 6 days without maintenance. At that point the res was empty, but the buckets still full. PH was within range still. Plants looked great.

Temp is at the same level as the plants, but not direct under the lights. The room is pretty small, with the plans in there is enough room to stand but that's about it, with the box fan circulating air everything is nice and uniform where I could measure.

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

If you're in late flower those temps are going to seriously fuck you up. Anything mid 80's and up during flowering with anything other than an equatorial strain is going to cost you weight and quality.

4. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

If your plants are directly under the light then check temps directly under the light. That's the real story temp wise.

If you want to safely leave the gro for 6 days get a cam you can check online. If you dont watch it it only a matter of time before you roach em again.

5. toshin

toshin Active Member

I've got a friend coming over today to help with the trimming on the rest of the plants. I did one yesterday, the others are fairly dense still.

The main idea with the whole RDWC system is to get it to run itself. Still waiting for the ph meter to come in but so far it is going well. A camera is a good idea, I have a few raspberry pi computers with cameras sitting around that I should be able to connect up.

6. toshin

toshin Active Member

First issue showed up, one of adapters for the reservoir broke when I was checking for leaks. I've fixed the design issue and new fittings are currently being printed. For the next day or so that means the system will be operating in DWC mode, no circulation. The airstones are in the buckets themselves so circulation is not critical.

Serenity420 and SuperMoChombo like this.
  7. toshin

toshin Active Member

New fittings were installed on the res yesterday, checked today and no leaks. I had tightened a hose clamp too tightly and that broke the fitting. The new one was designed with a thicker wall and slightly larger to fit the hose better.

8. toshin

toshin Active Member

Update, other than another leaky fitting things are going well. Replaced it with one of the newer ones I made and it is all good.

SuperMoChombo likes this.
  9. GreenDepot

GreenDepot New Member

Not bad! Is the foam around the gaps because something was leaking?

10. toshin

toshin Active Member

All the expanding foam was to seal the room from bugs. This space was an old outhouse with sink, shower, and toilet. It was missing a couple walls when I first started with it.

After replacing the fittings, the system has been running leak free since. I've got another thread going in the grow log with more recent photos.

GreenDepot likes this.
  11. toshin

toshin Active Member

Final update on this. System has been performing well, the ladies are going to be cut today. No more leaks. I'm going to be running the system with minimal changes for the next set.

Only change is going to be another fitting on the reservoir and another pump. This is for draining the system, I've got the pump and everything and have been just setting it in by hand with the hose to the drain. Will be much easier to have a 'drain' switch on the wall....

12. Serenity420

Serenity420 Begun Flowering

Good to here, ive ran many hydro setups.. dwc def a fav! Looks like you did away with the RDWC , and went straight dwc? ...

Honestly rdwc or connected dwc systems can get complicated to maintence/clean ... i always push for people to try individual buckets with the dwc, its much safer if your new to hydroponics.

In any connected system , all it takes is a touch of of cyna bacteria to develope in one crevis of the system and it can mobilize very quickly.. ofcoarse most experience hydro growers take preventative measures but ive seen alot of growers get fustrated with there RDWC or conmected DWC setups ..

Hope to see some pics :) glad it worked out for you.