new house, new grow room

Discussion in 'DIY' started by greenjah, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy Germinating

Hello Nice build and great room to grow in too. You will like those xxxl hoods.I stop the fan in a friend cab boxing the fan and foam in a can to quite it down a lot.You can use egg crate matness pad. Wal-mart about $20.00. It's the closest to sound proofing like in a sound studio . Here's a linck to a build I did and buided this fan silenter for a friends cab. https://www.greenpassion.org/index.php/topic/7047-fan-silencer/

I now build the box bigger and use 3/16" ply and the egg crate to line the boxand then fill the space aroung it with tolet papper looselyfilling the space between the egg crate and the fan. Works good. Peace

2. Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy Germinating

Oh do let me know if the link doesn't work please. Thank you .Peace

3. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

Nice grow space :thumbsup:

4. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

thanks toke, That is what I am basicly doing, I havent filled it with foam all the way yet though its not even half way filled yet. I need more cans

5. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Nice space! Nice setup

EXCEPT FOR THE FUCKING DEATH TRAP OF AN *HTG* BALLAST!!!!!!!!!:wtf?:

6. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Very nice greenjah. :bravo: Wish I had that much room.. :redbong:

7. greenjah

And I wish I could grow as good as you mr. GJ. If I had your yield in my space Id be a happy smoker.

That balast is the firs ballast I bought when I decided a few years ago that I was gonna grow. I no longer get anything from them and will soon be throwing that ballast out.

8. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

What's wrong with the ballast? from the picture it looks just like my 600watt Gallaxy ballast.

What's the scoop?

9. greenjah

the white one on the floor in the veg room, HTG ballasts are not to high of quality from what I hear, that one has been used on and off for a few years with no problems though.

10. mr.anonymous

mr.anonymous What to grow next is hard

Man nice job......you did say you thought something was "crappy" what was that.....because i didn't see that part lol

11. Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy Germinating

Hey, my cab I run a flood&drain I'll see if I can get the pixs of her.PC crashed and haven't got them off that hard drive yet.I have a 2'x2'x7" tray and I flood it every 4 hours around the clock.It keeps the roots from drying out and that can stress the plants and cause nanners .No it doesn't up take water or nutr in the dark cycle. I set the over flow level high to start and lower it as the plants roots fill the bottom of the tray.My res is 18gl and the tray full to the top is only is 17.4 gl. The over flow set high the tray holds 12 gl leaving 6 in the res.This way I get all the nutr that the plant can eat up to them and the res ppm's drops evenly.Rule of thumb larger res better stable longer run between nutr changes.Like was said above each flood&drain is tweak to it's needs.What works on large trays not all the time will work on smaller trays.I have my net pots hanging in a cover over the whole tray a little bit different from pots setting in the trays. Less pots but more room for roots. I'll try and get the pix I got and post them. Peace

12. greenjah

Another midificationto the room, summer is coming and it is getting warmer in the grow room. I had a 18000 btu window unit at the last house but here I only have a small basement window. I also dont like to exhaust my room when I have the AC on because it is just like blowing money out with electric costs so I seal the room and add co2 when the AC is on in the summer.

Basicly I turned my big window unit into a mini split, I like this better then the window unit anyways because I know I am not leaking the CO2 out a unsealed window unit.

Here is the unit with the shell off

[​IMG]

I took the squirl cage fan off and all that is left in the front is the cooling coil

[​IMG]

I very carfully bent the cooling coil to a position so I could slide it through the window without cracking the solder and letting the coolant out.

[​IMG]

then I bent it back to be flat on the wall

[​IMG]

I left the sheet metal that was conected to the coil so it has room for sucking air behind the coil once I put the venting box around it

[​IMG]

that is as far as I got so far, I will build the box for drawing the air past the cooling coil with a 750 cfm 8" fan tomorrow. 18000 btu's is equal to 600 cfm's so its a bit more but the coil will drag a bit on the air flow anyways.

basicly I made my own mini split, a 18000 btu mini split is over $2000 so this saved me a lot of money. If I had to I could have actually cut the cooling coil off and let the coolant out and added extentions with refill fittings the the copper tubes and put the cooling coil farther from the window but I was lucky and it is perfect right where it is, there is always extra tube already in the unit and that will allow some extention of the coil any way.

13. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Awesome DIY! Thinking a move to the DIY Stickie when your done. Anybody else interested?

14. greenjah

Its definatly a money saver, I am almost done wiring it up now and will have the pics up tonight.

15. greenjah

well I ran into a problem hooking up the titan controls day night thermostat in place of the regular thermostat that was on the ac originally. It took me the last 4 hours to figure that one out so I didnt get the air box done tonight.

basicly I had to run the hot wire that was originally conected to the old thermostat to a plug box inside and from that same box I ran the ground directly to the breaker box on the house, then plug the new thermostat into that and make a plug in with only one wire witch is the hot wire that is turned on and off by the new thermostat and run it out to the condenser and connect it to the other wire that was on the original thermostat (the second wire is what the old thermostat turned on and off with temp)

Her is a diagram of how I ended up getting it to work, of coarse things are not in place of where I have them and there is lots of wires not shown.

it took a while to figure out and I tried other thing first that didnt work so if anyone dose try this this should save you some time

[​IMG]

AlienBait likes this.
  16. ResinRubber

17. greenjah

looks like basicly the same thing, I just have the titan version, its nice because it has a phtosensor and I can have a different temp for night time. It may help bring out the purple in some of them

18. ResinRubber

Sweet! Me want.

19. greenjah

20. greenjah

got the inside stuff done, just have to cut the cover for the condenser outside to size.

these are just a couple pics of the fan control and whatever the other thing is, I taped them so they can go in with the condenser outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ziptied the back of the box to the coil

[​IMG]

The box before the fan

[​IMG]

I didnt know I was gonna put the ac here when I put the boxes right under the coil so I just put a slanted water catcher in to flow it to the side.

[​IMG]

And here is the finneshed product, except I need to cut that extra from the water catcher. that ugly lookin exhaust fan is coming down soon when the AC is needed to be turned on.

[​IMG]