Organic Liquid Fertilizers?

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by ShadowWarrior, Apr 20, 2010.

1. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

Thanks for the heads up. So epsoms salts will fix a magnesium deficiency, you say?

I usually use a light mixture of bone meal/blood meal into the soil when transplanting. I'll have to check again but I don't think either one does anything for magnesium.

2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Don't do anything unless it shows. But yes, epsom fixes mag deficiency, and no blood meal/bone meal doesn't have magnesium.

cheers,

3. ShadowWarrior

Are you saying I should leave out the blood and bone meals if I use the fish ferts?

4. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

blood meall and fish

i would cut the bm with the fish un less your alternating a little goes along way i was use in go bio fish but most ar clos to the same so i found one for $15.00 a gallon

5. ResinRubber

Sorry If I was unclear Shadow. I was saying don't water with epsom if you don't experience a deficiency.

here's the mix is used as a general guide in my last garden. If you use Miracle Grow soil or something similar do NOT use this recipe.

4 cu ft pulverized garden soil (cheap stuff at any nursery)

1 cubic foot perlite - You can up this to your own preference. Generally 50/50 is the absolute max.

4 cups Bone Meal - phosphorus source

4 cups Blood Meal - nitrogen source

1 1/3 cups Epsom salts - magnesium source

3-4 cups dolomite lime -calcium source & pH buffering

4 cups Fish/Seaweed emulsion - N.P.K., vitamins, amino acids, enzymes, growth hormones and chelated trace elements

Worm castings are an excellent addition but i'll admit to being lazy and not adding it in. Use about a 15lb bag to the above.

good luck!

6. ShadowWarrior

RR, that sounds like a groovy plant buffet. The soil I use I called "Expert Gardener". CHeapest stuff they had at wal-mart. I actually try to find plain soil that doesn't have added plant food, but it seems hard to locate here. Usually I prefer Hyponex . Hyponex is a dark, rich soil and grows most fruit-bearing plants pretty well. Can't find it out here, though, so I got this other crap.

7. ResinRubber

Never used Hyponex. I know it's a Scott product but have no idea about it's make-up. Just checked the Expert Gardener stuff. It has a chem fert added NPK= 0.11-0.04-0.08. Use the above recipe but leave out the blood/bone meal and you should be good to go. With enriched soils its best to go light until you get more familiar with the product.

I get the pulverized black dirt or soil from local nurseries or garden centers for about $3 for a 4 cu bag. I usually have to ask for it and pick it up around back. Never seen it on the shelves. If you have a truck and room I know you can buy a truckload for $30 per half yard. That's how I buy it for outdoor gardening and top dressing the yard.

cheers,