Pro's and Con's on using Hydro set up instead of dirt?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by Justcheckingitout, Feb 28, 2014.

1. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Here's the actual formula itself, copied from the thread, which is here http://forum.growkind.com/showthread.php?t=35174

"Veg -

week 1 5-2.5-2.5-400/600

week 2 10-5-3- 600/800

week 3 12-6-3 800/1000 (continue week 3 formula if additional veg time is required.)

Bloom

week 1 6-6-10- 800/1200

week 2 3-7-12 - 1000/1400

week 3 3-8-14 - 1000/1400

week 4 3-8-16 - 1000/1400

week 5 (discussed in detail below*)

week 6 0-7-20 - 1000/1400

week 7 0-6-20 (see bleow**)

* During week 5 if not using a booster like Superbud, Bushmaster Kabloom etc. run 2.5-7-18. I use MOAB (Mother of All Blooms) or BushMaster at 50% of recommended strength, and use 1.25-3.5-9 for the fert base.

**If running an 8 week strain you should only run the ferts during week 7 for a maximum of 3-4 days. This gives you 10 days for flushing. I should note that if I use ferts for a few days in week 7, I take the lants over the 8 week mark. Personally I flush for a min of 14 days. But 10 is bare minimum imo/ime. "

I copy this here with the following cautionary statement: you gotta read the THREAD too, to really know whats up. So don't just go mixing shit up just yet. Read the thread. http://forum.growkind.com/showthread.php?t=35174

Hydro is way easy. If you can buy a computer desk or TV cabinet in a box and follow the directions to put it together (without mystery parts left over ahem you know who you are) you can run hydro. It's the ease of use and monster witchcraft grow rates and yields that make it a no-brainer.

2. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

I just seen that it was posted at the top of the forum here in a sticky. Looks pretty straight forward, a weekly deal is easy to follow.

3. Justcheckingitout

I just was looking at these set up's.

aeroponics2.jpg

nft.gif

hydroponic-gardening.jpg

hydroponic-systems.jpg

/monthly_2014_03/aeroponics2.jpg.36e78200105de5a7ed90f06d650d7571.jpg

/monthly_2014_03/nft.gif.05390d158ddf099c7518742e7c054c00.gif

/monthly_2014_03/hydroponic-gardening.jpg.6616d9797379964e1c05db7f0c26ff92.jpg

/monthly_2014_03/hydroponic-systems.jpg.d588ffc1cc1a5b7648e8d294bd166cbc.jpg

4. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

aeroponics is a complete waste of $$$, time and effort....it was a fad that faded away

the others are Ebb n flow setups....ive seen a bunch of guys use the square plastic fence posts if you have confined spaces but the roots get jammed up and cause a ton of issues

if you have the room, a table is the way to go IMO/E, they make a bunch of different sizes, even 1ft by 2ft long tray types, up to 4x8ft

5. teamster6

teamster6 A Fat Sticky Bud

Try it first before you go setting up all the fancy shit. Hell you can run a 10 gallon bucket from kmart with a 5 gallon drain bucket underneath and manually dump the water thrue dirt cheap. I do 12 10 gallon buckets at a time. I prefer it to one table as the advantage is i CAN DO MULTIPLE STRAIN NUTRIENT MIXES. Do a simple setup and if ya dont like it toss it out and go to something else. Its really a no brainer. 12 ten gallon buckets will grow a pretty basic 3 to 3 1/2 lbs a grow. 3 lbs lasts a shit long time between grows. Also you will have so much slash you wont be able to turn it all into hash.

[​IMG]

t6

6. Justcheckingitout

I like t6's Idea of running the buckets so you can run different soultions, so if I do two plants a week, I can have 12-14 5 gallon buckets total and be picking two plants a week also.

I can see where the table is easy and less work,

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  7. teamster6

teamster6 A Fat Sticky Bud

I like the variety on a grow. Ya know like 4 or 5 differant strains instead of the same old shit every smoke. Yes a lot of the strains will use the same nutrient mix but I have found a lot of them are differant. Some will run fine on the standard formula. Others its too hot and I run them 20 % on the light side. If you run one table you are committed to run all plants on the same formula or strains that run similar or your screwed.

Its basically the same idea only the table is broken up into 12 differant areas all with there own resivours. Now I know a lot will say its too much work but thats bull as I use lava cinders and I only water twice a day as the cinders hold a lot of water because they are porous. This system is far cleaner as when you dump the buckets you just rinse them out. In a pinch they will hold enough water to leave for about two days before the plants will start to starve for water in case you have to leave.

Ya pull the full bucket out and put a empty underneath and pour the full bucket into the tub. Easy wheezy. A five gallon supply nutrient bucket is the right amount to flood a 10 gallon tub perfect. I did this grow over twenty years ago reading it in a hydro grow book old school. Started it again on this site and never changed.

You have a board to suspend the tubs on with holes drilled for the spouts to go under for the drains. Silicone a pvc fitting in the bottom for the water to flow to the bucket underneath. Cheap setup but very effective and they will grow like hell. I usually plant four plants to a 10 gallon bucket.

good luck

t6

8. Justcheckingitout

With the deep water set up, a air stone is the only thing needed? Besides the water and fert mix. No need to raise or lower the water with a pump to another container?, just make sure the buckets full all the time and change the mix every week? That would be easy.

would a ten gallon storage container with two net baskets/plants be over kill? Or 5 gallon for 2 plants be better? I figure if I did the 2 plants every two weeks, I could do 4 containers with two plants each? (For the flower box)

9. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

you have the basics down

you're down south so you need to consider water temp also

10. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

try to keep your stuff on a concrete floor, it draws heat from the containers

11. Justcheckingitout

So the deep water deal in my last post sounds ok, except watch the water temp in the container? I did not think about water temp, If I put the containers in a sealed box, they wouldn't be on the concrete floor, the concrete floor would be hot since the garage get's to be about 120deg plus. in the summer.

So is there a rule of thumb for how many gallons per plant for this set up? is deeper better than wider for the container? The hydro shop only offers 3 or 5 gallon bucket set up's for this set up, so a home made deal would be needed to hold a couple plants v.s. having many buckets.

Also If you use a bigger container for a couple of plants would you need more than one airstone?

UPDATE>>>>>>>>>>>>

I went to the DIY forum and seen the sticky with a couple of DWC stuff on there and got the idea now, I seen where the temp was a issue, but did not see what a good number was, so I will just go with it, I still will have the C99 mother in dirt, so hey lets PLAY BALL!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014