pure sativa growing tips

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by videoman, Oct 23, 2015.

1. videoman

videoman Veggy Stage

anybody have any tips on growing sativas?

I'm careful with my nutes, and I'm considering turning my lights to 13off and 11on from a 12/12. 1000 watt light. 2 plants, about 9 to 11 feet tall.

been growing for many years but I never grew a sativa before.

any tips from someone who has done it before?

2. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Why so big? If anything flip light sooner, satty doms continue to grow for weeks into flower as if vegging. I can't see how flowering a plant that tall would be possible indoors unless you did vertical lighting.

But what strain? See if responds well to lst and flip early

3. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

For pure Sativas, I recommend 3-5 gallon pots as the maximum, with lots of training. Sativas can be trained into bushier plants, but that's another beast itself.

The run I am currently doing has 12 week Jack Herer dominant plants that had to be anchored down, because they really will stretch a ton! Once you get over the stretch, you've then got another hurdle in keeping your plants supported. Sativas get really heavy later in flower!

I'm using awings with 600w hps. I tie my colas around the reflector and maintain a wall of colas while keeping my shorter plants directly beneath the lights.

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Longest sativa's I've run were a 14 week Cambodian and a 14-16 week Thai. Both in soil. Best thing is to keep feeding a decent amount of N well into flower and slowly reduce it to flower fert levels as you near the last 8 weeks. Never grown anything as big as you're working with though so ymmv.

As an after thought....had a Sannie sativa (forget which strain) that hated that feeding schedule and any N during flower sent it into fits of shitty buds.. But it was pretty much an exception. Tossed the strain...it acted goofy on other levels too.

Invest in long ass bamboo plant stakes with 10' plants. Hopefully you'll need-em:redbong:

videoman likes this.
  5. videoman

videoman Veggy Stage

yah I dunno what strain it is, other than a sativa, the two plants look identical though. they were growing outdoors but I was afraid of getting robbed again so i had to bring em inside. thieves are a big problem where I am. they are tied to my hood and ceiling too. they pretty much have been trained to grow sideways since bringing them inside. I read somewhere that they dont like too much nutrients but I find them pretty hungry beasts. They have been flowering now for about 10 weeks and Im thinking atleast another month or so.....but I am only guessing at this point.

6. ResinRubber

Then I'd just go with your regular flower regimen to finish since you're 10 weeks in.

7. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

At that point going down to 11 or even 10 hrs of light might help them mature a bit. Before the buds have done there bulking would not be a good idea. In fact if i do indoor again i will probably begin flowering at 13 hours of light and go down 5 or 6 weeks in on an 8 week strain.

8. videoman

videoman Veggy Stage

well I have tons of bud sights on the plants, its actually amazing compared to an indica. However they have not packed on any weight yet. the plants seem to love molasses. My largest sativa plant has about 8 or9 main branches, or colas, problem is my leaves are yellowing on the plant, not just at the bottom but top to bottom, I'm going to add some epson salts to add some mag and see how that helps.

9. ResinRubber

add a light dose of N with your next round of molasses.

10. videoman

videoman Veggy Stage

yeah I have added some N, twice within the last few weeks and the problem persists, hence my thinking of a mag deficiency....would you agree?

11. ResinRubber

Without seeing the plant, any other speculation would be a shot in the dark...but...positive response to molasses could indicate a need for ca/mg since molasses is high in ca/mg. Just a guess mind you. Long term health is probably the hardest part about growing a true sativa. To anybody reading.....I wouldn't run a long flowering sat until you can maintain a mom plant in near perfect health for 6 months.

:passit:

edited; kept thinking on this. Is there potash in your soil mix? Just a long shot.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
  12. videoman

videoman Veggy Stage

well, I'm in at about 10-11 weeks of flowering now. both are healthy now. one has got to be 11' and of course its into bondage big time, shes tied up and tied down ! the other one is about 9' but has 8 or 9 main colas. because of there size and being indoors, they have had some exciting growth as most branches are growing up and turned into small colas. Its very hard for me to guesstimate time remaining, but possibly 2 weeks, could go longer though. Im kinda excited about a harvest of sativa now. They have not packed on the weight yet and im hoping they hurry along.

It's kinda weird how these sativas grow, the largest one, about 11' tall has branches all over it but they are only about 6" long, thats it. whats really weird is that one 6" branch may have like ten separate buds growing on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2015
  13. videoman

videoman Veggy Stage

picturespics of the two sativas

Img_151030212324.JPG

Img_151030212342.JPG

Img_151030212504.JPG

Img_151030212529.JPG

Img_151030212650.JPG

/monthly_2015_10/Img_151030212324.JPG.339b6355b7097cf8ebedf67343b3d034.JPG

/monthly_2015_10/Img_151030212342.JPG.e867bceeee0e64409825d16240b0a969.JPG

/monthly_2015_10/Img_151030212504.JPG.0f30fcd078ae0de92aab63d231b41c4c.JPG

/monthly_2015_10/Img_151030212529.JPG.8908c1fe6b47a1c8b17612547b326fc3.JPG

/monthly_2015_10/Img_151030212650.JPG.0b62d3f3525d70aecc55a83520b55256.JPG

14. Tiger Shark

Tiger Shark Profoundly Deep

Looking good! I have some "Toledo Window Box" that I'm about to start flowering. I don't think it will get that tall though.

How long did you veg those babies?

15. videoman

videoman Veggy Stage

these babies were growing outdoors, but the season was nearing an end, and we were getting paranoid about thieves, fairly common around here to get your grow heisted. I lost a few last year to thieves myself. Since we bought these indoors though, they've been flowering for 10 weeks flowering now and still going.

They were put outside in May but were started inside around February, when I bought them inside near the end of season they were already starting to flower. I'm guessing another two weeks or so.

I'm just looking for that last "push" to pack on some more weight. I've heard alot of people tell me how they had problems with sativas, either with the nutes or getting that last push, just never happened for them. I think the biggest mistake people make with sativas, is they leave them on a 12/12 cycle. This generally dosent work on sativas from what I've seen. We have been cutting our light cycle back gradually, by the time I harvest I hope to reach a 8/16 light cycle, thereby truly mimicking nature and showing the plants the end of season is near.

16. Tiger Shark

Well they certainly look cool. :goodjob: Mine are coming up on 28 days veging. I'm debating a few more days.

And BTW, mine are hungry as hell. One came out of the ground like her ass was on fire. Blew through like 2 sets of leaves in the first 10 days. Fed 'em light Peter's 20-20-20 after 7-8 days.

17. videoman

videoman Veggy Stage

Be careful Tiger Shark, one thing I did learn is that unlike an indica plant, sativas continue to grow during flowering too. It can get frustrating, keep some string closeby, and clothespins help too.

18. Tiger Shark

Ya mon!

19. videoman

videoman Veggy Stage

Thanks for the reply. I'm about to finish up my 12th week of flowering.

Still growing, new white growth on the tips of the buds.

Trics are about 75% milky in color.

I expected them to finish sooner, so about 10 days ago I gave them some molasses,

and its been straight water ever since. I realize I was a bit premature,

but theres not much I can do about it now. I'm continuing straight water.

20. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

How hot does it get in there?