Still Pretty new to all this

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by RookieGrower, Jun 8, 2010.

1. RookieGrower

RookieGrower Germinating

Well. im about 40+ days into my 4th grow attempt. this being one i have put a little more time and effort into.. lol

Im somewhere in Utah, This like said above is my 4th grow. its been 10 + years in the making. now that I own my own place I can hide it and actually grow from start to finish without anyone finding out. I have learked around various growing forums and used to be a mumber of OverGrow.com when it was in its prime. god, back when i was like 14. 15 years old. lol. I have since then decided to join here and hopefully get some more input on my grow as i have allways just did it by reading grow FAQ's online.

some info on my grow. so its about 40+ days from germination. i have had the lights on and fan running for 24 hours till last week i switched to 18/6.

1st week
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4th week
    [​IMG]

today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided to trim some leaves off, and prune the tops.. this is the firstgrow where I have taken the main shoot off. andto be Honest I dont know how I feel about what i have done... lol

it's mostly good bag seed's i have gome across my whole smoking life. seeds from purple ercle, alaskin thunderfuck, og kush, bananna kush, and some others. I am useing 4, 12'' Florecent lights cool white. and plan on swapping the cool white to a warm white during flowering.

My plan is to make some money off this crop and invest it into a better lighting system like some kind of HPS light, and better seeds/ bigger pots ect. mostly growing for my self, and friends. (of course no one knows I am doing the growing.)

how do they look?

dooobster likes this.
  2. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

All your pics have been deleted. Try uploading them to your GK gallery.

Edit: NEVER cut off fan leaves. You can top the main stem or branches but don't remove large fan leaves, EVER! Why do people think they need to cut off the plants solar panels. That is where all the plants chlorophyll is stored and where all the photosynthesis occurs!!!! LEAVE THE LEAVES ALONE!!!:roffl:

3. RookieGrower

RookieGrower Germinating

ok. so leave the fan leafs alone. gotcha. fixed the pics.

allso I put about 4 of them outside. the ones outside i did not trim or prune. i'll take pics and post those later.

how do they look. and where should what area of the forum should i start my grow progress?

4. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

Dude... :pimp:

I agree with the ganja man...

If this is ur 4th grow u should know u won't get much from 4 12" flos. As you can see they aree already lokin pretty stretched. The plants should be within an inch or 2 of thhose bulbs.

I cut branches off my plants in order to reduce top growth while the roots grow durring veg but ur little plants are nowhere near ready for that. And you don't have enuf light anyway.

Look at how small ur leaves are in comparison with the pics on here.

Id suggest addin some lamps and get an hid to flower with oth.

Happy growin' :pimp:

5. dlr42

dlr42 King of GrowKind

Gotta move the lights closer! Floros are cheap. Get as many as u can if your going to use them.

Love the card board reflector!!!! I made mine from a metal trash can lid.

6. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I think your doin good man. My 4th grow was when i was about 15-16 in the attic of my dads house. Plants streached to all hell and didnt trun out. But u live and you learn. Now like the mean guy above said an HID or a more powerful floresent fixture is needed. Them lights need to be closer and dont water as much, dirt looks pretty wet and the plants are pale(IDK thats just my oppinion).AND STOP CUTTING OFF THE BIG FAN LEAFS!!!!!!!:affro: But yeah man keep reading the FAQ's and keep doin what ur doin. You dont learn till you make the mistake.

7. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

You are going to be fucked for light and space if those are all keepers.

Even with the -4 outside.

8. major

major Begun Flowering

I suggest you to read the FAQ and learn some LST methods, I think your lights would be enough for vegging if you LST and if you move the light closer. For flowering anyone would recommend you HID lighting but you can still get some good smoke with your existing lights and some additional CFL's on just 1 or 2 plants (Not 17).

My most important suggestion is for the seeds. You will have much more better results if you can buy some real seeds.

Do these things and you won't regret:anibong::anibong:

9. Mr Douglas

Mr Douglas still stoned again still

welcome

^^^ all good advise ^^^

:welcome: to :GK: RookieGrower :wave:

Listen to what our members say, and you'll be toking your own in no time!:redbong:

:passsit:

10. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

And try not to take anything personal man Like MR.D just said were here to help YOU smk ur ur own bud cause there is nothin like it. But were gonna push u alittle hard to get up to par man cause them florals u have arent working so well. I mean they can work for your veg. time but i wouldnt rely on them bro!

11. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Y are you tellin him the ones outside wont work? There is a slight chance that the sun will be to much for them but if they can handel it i dont see y they wont grow. Ive put worse outside and ended up with 6 zips off of one plant last year i can prove it to u if u want.

12. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

I think you misunderstood me broham...

the ones outside should be fine.......I meant the ones under the light are going to be starved for light and space if not corrected...

13. RookieGrower

RookieGrower Germinating

fuckin ay.. you i know i am a little short in the light area. its all i had. like i said once i flip this grow the money will be invested in a new light system, and better seeds. im just doing this for shits and giggles. plus i love weed.

im gunna go lower the lights down closer to the plants right now.

good lookin out on all the advise.

and for future refrance. whats a good number of plants to grow under suggested lighting system? the grow will have to stay in that closet.

i would get my spare rooms windows tinted. and start growing in the spare room. but i dont want someone walking in on my grow..

14. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

You're not gonna be able to fit more than 2 or 3 small plants in there under those lights. Do a lot of low stress training ( tie the main stem down and allow the lower branches to get light, Keep them wide and low). Do a search of the forums for CFL grows. Get soem CFL lights for the sides to increase the lumens in that space. The plants are stretched cuz they are looking for more intense light. MJ LOVES LOTS OF LIGHT! MORE LIGHT = MORE/DENSER BUDS. You CAN flower under fluoros but HID lighting will increase yields significantly. You're on track so far. Do what you said and invest money as you can in better equipment. Any equipment you invest in will pay for itself after a grow or two. Don't take any of the somewhat agitated posts too seriously. Veteran growers can sometimes come off as harsh but if you can make it through the hazing period to learn from the GK community of growers you'll be amazing your friends with the KILLER buds your "buddy" grew! :roffl: Good Luck NEWBIE!!:thumbs-up:

15. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Yeah Ras, we can be a right nasty bunch once in a while. But if they listen they'll be growin like you and the missus in short order.

Rook- I'll give you the same advice I give to friends who groan about buying the right gear. Stop buying weed for a spell and put the $$ saved into lights and a fan. A decent 600w HID and hood can be had off craigslist for less than a $100 (sometimes under $50 is you shop for awhile). Set up a modded stanley blower for another $75 and hit Seedbay for some decent beans for $50. All told you got $225 spent which is about a half zip around here. How long's it take you to burn a 1/2 oz?

cheers and happy gardening!

16. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Ther is no way better to say it then that! GOOD ONE RAS.!:affro: Yeah man most vets dont wanna deal with the same shit i did back in 06' lol and will come off as harsh. Shit anybody who atleast trys and is doin as good as you then ur good in my book and ill give u a hand as much as i can man! Deff get some of these at least bro

http://www.amazon.com/71765-Instant-Sunshine-100-Watt-equivalent/dp/B001MKHP14

They will make a huge difference. You can find them on sale at walmart man and u dont have to get the 100w'ers either. Keep doin it man :affro:

and P.D were all good bro just mis-comunications. Fresh fish LOL

17. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Ok so srry rook to jack this thread but RR i hooked up my stanly blower to my hood with 4" tubing is that bad and should i upgrade to 6" (ERR 6" shit is so expensive!

Well rook this will help you too.

18. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

You're gonna hate this Boa......6". The fan has a limited draw already and the 4" just makes it worse.

I think you just got a new air cooled hood, right? So if your using the stanley for that it needs to be converted to pull air from only one side. If you do that and run 6" duct you can get up to 245 cfm. With 4" and no mod you might get 100-150 cfm.

There's a DIY for the one side pull mod here and on a few other sites. If you can't find it let me know. I'm sure I still have pics from when we last covered this one. It requires opening the case, drilling the fan rotor with a hole saw and taping off the intake on the switch side of the fan.

If you just tape off the intake without drilling the fan rotor you lose about a third of the rotor power and lose cooling to the motor.

cheers,

BTW Rook.....we like you....we really do. It's just that some of us are old'n crotchety.

19. dooobster

dooobster A Fat Sticky Bud

They look fine, if only a little stretchy.

Never trim fan leaves off... The plant makes those for a reason, so it can grow. Those big fans are your plant's power generators... It needs all of them, especially under limited light intensity. Learn to tuck the big leaves out of the way instead of cutting them off. Your babies will love you for it.

Move those lights down to about 3 inches from the tops, or elevate the plants up with little boxes or whatever you can find. Get a small tabletop fan and position it so it blows right through the space between the light and the tops of those babies so they won't get too hot.

20. RookieGrower

RookieGrower Germinating

well. i tell you what back when i was a youngin. lol i could smoke a oz in a day. no problem. but now that im a little older.. (25) lol I smoke everyday after work. a bong hit or two. about a oz a month lol.

I plan on saving some money up from the harvest of this grow to buy some decent equipment. lights, and better seeds. and do it all over again with ya'lls help.

Thanks for all the input guys.

update on my grow. i had to bring the 4 that where outside in to get them from outside cause i am going camping. i plan on taking the weeker looking ones out to alow for more growing area for the others.

now with the ones i plan on taking out. what do i do with them. let them dry & turn them into hash? or being that there in the veg stage just destroy them and throw away??