Will FF Ocean Forest & their Vegitative feed surfice until the flowering stage?

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by mudpuppy, Jun 18, 2013.

1. mudpuppy

mudpuppy Established Healthy Roots

Was wondering if a simple FF Ocean Forest mix will surfice throughout the veg. stage and ammend accordingly with a flowering feed after the veg stage has been fed on sched. with a comp. FF product???

THE PUPPY :smokin::smokin::smokin:

2. virago420

virago420 Excommunicated

FFOF soil should take you through veg just fine, depending on how long your veg period is and container size. You will however need to feed during flower. FFOF is a great soil, I use it as well.

3. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

Simple answer is yes. FFOF has organic nutrients in it already, and shouldn't require any additional nutrients for about 3 weeks.

I used to use FFOF, but switched to roots organic. I like it a bit better.

On a side note, Fox Farms recently had to change their formulations. The rumors are that their land lease where they sourced their material from was up and not able to be renewed, making for a different recipe. The other rumor is that they were bought out by a larger company, possibly Monsanto. I don't know if either are true, I have not researched them, but those are the rumors...

Cheers

4. BongRippa

BongRippa Full Flowering

From my experience so far and from what I researched using FFOF soil is kinda hot for younger plants. From what I been told, you may want to cut it 50/50 with FF light warrior soil.

I have six plants in straight FFOF since they been transplanted as rooted cuttings. They did have a tiny bit of N burn and you may also want to check the Cal/Mag, mine was low.

They are in the second week of flower and their doing good. Im now using The General Hydroponic's three part Useless Formula at 75% strength.

Peace.:passsit:

5. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Roots Organics is a superior product in my opinion. I was never a fan of the Fox Farms stuff. It will work though. Like the others have stated. Depending on length of veg and container size you can get several weeks of veg out of what's already in the soil.

6. mudpuppy

mudpuppy Established Healthy Roots

Thanks everyone for the advice...I have rarely gone wrong listening to my fellow growers who's knowledge I revere!!!

THE PUPPY

7. nuggnester

nuggnester Pot & Poker Enthusiast

My short answer would be no. But again (Yes i see this is months old...how did it go anyways?) like others said your main factors will be containers size and veg length. Anything below a one gallon pot and above a three week veg time will not do. I switched from fox farms as their product steadily declined over the years. Never going back. Pro-mix for life. Or until something better comes along.

8. choker

choker HIDING OUT

Last fox farm I used (2/3 years ago) had a shit load of bark and or tree matter in it. Straight up chunks of wood and sticks.

9. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Depends on the strain.

10. Heynow

Heynow Germinating

I haven't run into any issues with FFOF from seed to harvest. But you are right about the chunks of wood and small sticks. May go with something else next run to see if there is a difference.

11. nuggnester

nuggnester Pot & Poker Enthusiast

The EXACT reason I stopped using it. Little twigs and inch long pieces of compressed wood (which has tons of chemicals in it). FUCK that. Promix has none of the above

12. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Chemicals? How can you figure that one out? Miricle grow is a chemical based soil system, minus the fumes that come off of their shredders...FoxFarms is damn near organic, along with Roots 707 soil

Id much rather see the small pieces of twigs and small chunks of bark, atleast you know its organic and real, the entire idea of a decent soil is for it to work correctly, not LOOK like it works,FF has been around SUCCESSFULLY for over 20years, if you guys don't like the bigger pieces, pick it out....buncha whiners:roffl:

13. choker

choker HIDING OUT

Its going to take 20 years before the wood composts. Im only growing for a few months. There putting all that wood in as a filler. Buying that bark shit for cheap, grinding it up and pawning it off on us. I will take soil over bark and wood chips any day.

:jj:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
  14. CCrete

So what soil can you buy besides roots that's going to be as successful as FF, unless you make your own?

And among an entire bag of FF, you might get a handful of things you don't exactly THINK is ok....you guys are babies:roffl:

15. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

For the $$ they get it better be the best, and it ain't. If I want cheap under screened material or filler in my mix I'll buy the cheap shit.

16. CCrete

$21 a bag.....god damn your a cheap old coot

Besides, don't you have your own brand of self-loving self approved Resin soil mr.fancy?

17. ResinRubber

Credit where it's due. The basic mix isn't mine. It's my version of the BC Growers Association mix as originally shared on OverGrow.

:passsit:been known to have a lazy moment and go off reservation and use store bought mix though. But when you're used to almost 4 cu ft for $35 (Promix) the FF looks ridiculous at $21 for 1.5 cu ft. Would you happily pay over twice the price for your hydro ferts if you knew they were the equivalent of something you could get for half? Jus' sayin' man.

Might be sumthin to do with being a Pinto putt along grower. I dunno.:redbong:

18. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

I'm growing in RR dirt. Works great. No reason to spend the dough on FF.

19. CCrete

I guess for me, I never needed more than the 1.5-2.0 bags of soil, never had any experiences with promix either, so cant say .... but to just buy and dump a bag and boom, it works is suitable for ME atleast

man, you soil guys are sensitive:roffl:

20. ResinRubber

Comes from rolling around naked in the garden. (The added body heat promotes microbial growth.) Nobody likes a stray soil twig poking them in the ass.