Will heat cause more males to germinate,then females?

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by fourdogs0, Jun 4, 2009.

1. fourdogs0

fourdogs0 Germinated

My wife thinks that more heat the seedlings get will cause more of them to become males.We have 3 plants 3 feet tall.She keeps three fans and the air conditioning system on!.If the temps rise to 78 degrees it is cause alarm.It does make me remember the 10 seeds that I planted one year.7 of them were males.Maybe shes right.Any ideas?

2. Tex-Elektric-Bud

Tex-Elektric-Bud Journey man sparky

were those batch of seeds u got 7 males from bagseeg? if u dont get feminized seeds from a good seed bank then your chances are pretty good ur gonna get some males. seedlings like warm moist temperatures, and if a seed is gonna be male, then it will be male. i know bad heating conditions and light leaks cause a female plant to go hermie cuz of stressful conditions, but as far as a plant thats female turning male isn't possible, if its female, the only way it would turn male is by turning hermie and growing male buds and female buds, additional stress causes that.!! once u sex it and its female, then it will remain female unless a hermie occurs, just like male plants dont turn female, impossible.

hope that helps a bit. tex

3. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

:thumbsup: what he said ^^ ^^

4. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Only if they're crocodiles...oh wait....... pot? Go by what he said :)

Oh and ur temps sound just fine, you even have a little leeway left.

5. Tex-Elektric-Bud

Tex-Elektric-Bud Journey man sparky

i wanna grow crocdiles, then i could train them to be guard crocs!!, no one messes with a crocodile!! well expcept a few!! but most people dont, hahaha, smoked one to many doobs tonight

lukesmommy likes this.
  6. schui

schui Excommunicated

I tend to stress my plants

I use dry heat to stress my plants into being female, so disagree with you on that trial. I have been heat stressing with a very high ratio of females.

Your wife could be right if you were heat stressing in the wrong way.

Its really science, and unless you have a degree in botany its hard to understand. I hope someone peeps in on the heat stressing for females with me.

Ok peace people, going to smoke a huge joint of pure and no tip. so later on, I will keep the garden going with pics. I have just topped the biggest one, to slow down the veg stage, and bring the others up to speed with the first ones, and hopefully we will have both females and males for some seriuos seed production. I have also been told seed production is hard on the New purple power because they are so small. I will find out.

7. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

Just a couple days ago, I read a post by a breeder in another forum. She did various experiments over a few years to see what made plants go female or male. According to her, temp is VERY important in the first four to six weeks of a plants life. She said to produce 97% females, you need high nitrogen, high humidity, cool temps (under 80) and one other thing...but I cant remember what it was. I'll try to go find that post. It might have been a neutral pH.

Dixie

Anyway, YES, cool temps are better.

8. Confused420

Confused420 Full Flowering

bull shit plant sex is controlled by DNA

i have been sitting on this link for awhile waiting for the appropriate thread

http://pcp.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/36/8/1549

sex of the seed is determined when pollen hits pistol

plants tend to be 60% female keep track long enough and that is how it will average out

friendlyfarmer and gizmo_barks like this.
  9. Dank Vapor

Dank Vapor Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Cool temps, pashaw.

I grow from the 70s to the 90s. I get about 50/50 with all the bag seed I use.

DNA as mentioned. You can stress a partial sex change, physical -- not genetic, but the base sex is the base sex.

10. gizmo_barks

gizmo_barks Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

All right, another myth debunked.:bigok:

11. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

yup, i been arguing this a while now, good stuff!

12. Confused420

Confused420 Full Flowering

the environment determining sex thing comes up every couple of months, and i think that the people who say that its genetic are starting to win over the majority, and now we have more than just anecdotal evidence

13. Joe King Park

Joe King Park Auto-Pilot Grower

Colder Temps Produce More Females

Feeding Pre Sexed Plants Phosphorous Also Increases Female Rate

Etc, Etc

JKP:wink:

14. Mr. Gardener

Mr. Gardener Full Flowering

I liked the article but too bad the whole thing isn't available without a subscription.

15. justmaintaing

justmaintaing Thread Killer........

Evolution, pretty much all species have a higher female to male ratio including humans.

Dank Vapor likes this.
  16. Ginsberg

Ginsberg Developed Alternating Nodes

I read the same or similar post. I seem to recall the breeder was well credentialed (Ph.D, publications; all that)

17. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

It sounds like there are definitely some differing opinions on this subject.

I think sex is determined when the seed is formed myself, but I have no scientific evidence to back it up.

We should add a poll :thumbsup:

18. kennyde99

kennyde99 Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Heat plays a major role in sex determanation. all seeds have a 50/50% chance of going either way . U control them. heat to start them , the warmer the seed is when fisrt planted the better chance of germanation. once it pops. U want to keep your temps at about 70-75. HEAT does cause males. i use 150wt Sprial flos over the younglings. keep them about 1inch above the plant thru out the vegging period. this will keep the nice & short. & also its not as hot on them.

last winter i started up some of my old K99 seeds. out of 20 seeds. 2 popped due to bad storage. but i kept them in control & the 2 that popped where both females. on 3 set of clones now & the shit is mindblowing...

19. nobogart

nobogart Cured Fat Sticky Bud

not one mention of giberilic (sic) acid?

20. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

I think the issue gets confused between physical sex and actual sex.

The actual sex of the plant will not change no matter what you do. On the level of DNA, it is either male or female when all that pollen hits those babies Whoo-Whoos.

The Physical sex can change. But this is because the hermaphrodite tendency is genetic as well. Environmental changes simply induce this tendency or prevent it.

I am not 100% on this statement cause I don't have them yet, but if you are working with solid genetic strains you shouldn't have to manipulate the environment to make them female.

EDIT: Though I think Skunky has mentioned that you can make a CHEMICAL change as well to force a physical female. But I know crap about that stuff.